Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How about an 18 and older box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would there be any reason not to put a box near the username that shows whether or not a person has asserted that they are over 18? Not sure how it is done now for the adult forums.
Just a little paranoid after reading about someone getting burned bad because they made a deal with a 17 year old. I know more and more younger people are getting into this industry. I would like to know up front if I am buying from or selling to a minor.

Upvote 0

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never really thought of this to be a problem on the forum, as there are A LOT of minors. However, it is factual that a minor cannot enter (Legally) into a legally binding contract. Posting Sold in reply to a domain name for sale, or someone else posting sold in reply to a post of a domain for sale, enters both parties into a legally binding contract (so to speak). A minor however, has no obligations to abide by the contract in any way. The result can leave any adult in transaction with a minor to be totally defenseless.

Again, Ive never had a problem with this, nor have I seen it be a problem. It would however be something to consider.

Domain Summit 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe have an icon in the profile or next to their name that says verified 18+

I know if they don't enter a birthday it wont allow them access to the adult forums. (We all know how easy that is to get around)

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:
Another way to pick on us young domainers! We paid for membership, we have the right NOT to be discriminated against, in any way, no matter how its covered up.

Yeah you paid your membership, but you are still a minor. Your legal status does not somehow upgrade with your membership status. That's like saying a felon, somehow becomes a non-felon, just because he paid to be here - give me a break. People have a right to know who they are doing business with, and it is a simple legal fact that doing business with a minor is risky, at best. If you want to play with grown ups, then better wake up and smell the coffee, kid.

-Joe

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to start age warfare and I certainly don't want to discriminate. I just think it does pose a real issue and will only get bigger as domaining seems to be the next "poker" craze.
Maybe the protection of minors can work in our collective favor? Maybe some bright entrepreneur will start a swap program. Legal adults could trade TM names to minors for non TM names, since minors probably can't get in any real trouble for owning them. Or they could "lease" them to minors and let them keep 5% of revenues. Don't drug dealers do this kind of thing? :)

Duck

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
Maybe some bright entrepreneur will start a swap program. Legal adults could trade TM names to minors for non TM names, since minors probably can't get in any real trouble for owning them. Or they could "lease" them to minors and let them keep 5% of revenues. Don't drug dealers do this kind of thing? :)

Duck
WHAT the ? that was the most insane post I ever read

ANd no posting sold is not a legally binding contract you could get banned from a forum but it binds you to nothing legally.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please read it again with a chuckle, that's how it was written. But why was it insane? I'm really just hoping group-think can find a solution to this problem, maybe turn a negative into a positive.

So, that's one vote against the idea of minors working as mafia style "bag-men"? for adult domainers?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a little paranoid after reading about someone getting burned bad because they made a deal with a 17 year old.

Hopefully age will not be the only indicator in terms of whether or not you are going to conduct business with a minor.

I'm 15 with over 50 transactions on this forum, and only a few complaints ;)

Matvey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its not a matter of how many transactions you have its bigger than that. No matter what legally you can get roated later for this sort of deal.

bladex5k

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow... I guess I should be pretty happy that I turned 18 last month haha.

Anyway, to add my 2 cents to the thread... There is no real way to determine someones legal age on this forum... Because don't we all love Photoshop??? Enough said, lol.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue is bigger than minor Vs. legal adult. A minor could by a domain from another minor and have it taken away from them years later. So it's in all of our best interest to discuss if there is any solution to the issue. I really believe that literally thousands of minors will be entering this industry in the next 12 months. Not all of them will be scrupulous.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue is bigger than minor Vs. legal adult. A minor could by a domain from another minor and have it taken away from them years later. So it's in all of our best interest to discuss if there is any solution to the issue. I really believe that literally thousands of minors will be entering this industry in the next 12 months. Not all of them will be scrupulous.

What made you head of the DNF age police?

We looked into this before, in action I have only heard of one case on DNF (or anywhere else) where a minor used their age to "steal" back a domain or anything like that.

I am over 18 so it wouldn't apply to me anyway, but I think we should concentrate on stopping the influx of thiefs and scammers DNF has been experiencing recently rather than starting to ID all of its members.

There is a much much much greater chance you will get scammed by someone faking traffic or stealing a name or hacking your account or something else like that, than using his age to try and void a contract.

Matvey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeh it was just brought to my attention that it is not just knowing the maturity of the person you are dealing with but there is a way to "steal" as he said a domain back.

I say just trust who you are doing business with and thats basically as far as you can go.

Do not publically reject service from a minor but if you know someone is a minor and you dont want to deal with them just dont.... IMO

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What made you head of the DNF age police?

I know you're still Top Cop around here, don't worry, I'm not gunning for anyones job. :) Besides, I enjoy your posts here.

I think we should concentrate on stopping the influx of thiefs and scammers DNF has been experiencing recently rather than starting to ID all of its members.

This is happening because the industry is gaining in popularity. Rats smell an opportunity and come pouring in. But consider this, the best scam is a legal scam. I'm not just thinking of minors acting on their own. How long until adults are using minors as a go between in their transactions? People are clever enough to do everything else, why not that?

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is a suggestion, in the suggestions thread GT Web,Settle down cowboy Its a topic thats not so far fetched to raise question about. I dont think hes saying anything thats not factual, or trying to be "top cop."

XNX. As a matter of fact, any form of agreement to a sale or purchase by two parties creates an implied contract, despite the lack of any written or signed documentation. Though it is much harder to prove, its still considered a binding contract.

Matvey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont see how any online forum thread that has "sold" in it buy and adult ro buy a minor is considered a binding contract because with the advanced minds of people on the web these days its no sure thing it is you posting "sold"

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some things are hard to prove, its not a matter of what you think is acceptable, but what is infact a law. Wither or not it was infact "you" that posted sold, would be for the court or arbitration to decide. In most cases, would something like this really be taken that far... no.

I have nothing against youngins, and have no problem doing business with "minors" so to speak. Its good to be careful with anyone you do business with, as its not just minors that can burn you.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will not stop doing business with minors, that was never the point of my post. I like the idea that there is a business opportunity that entreprenurial minors can afford to join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom