• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How do they do www3. thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tas38

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hello Everyone......

I seen sites going like www3.dnforum.com, how do they do that with the domain. And why would they do that, I'm pretty sure it must be on another server but not sure.

Thanks! Tim
 
Load balancing server setup
 
... or subdomains ;-)
 
It wouldn't redirect automatically being subdomains. No point in it being subdomains if they were on the same server.
 
jdk.multiply.com
john.multiply.com
www3.multiply.com
etc
 
How would that work with a Load balancing server setup, you would have to put it as a subdomain by it's self right ?

Or could you put it on another server, as it's own domain even though it's not ?
 
ist the DNS host file. you can modify it at your registrar

for example you have
@ which is your web address without www
www web adress with www
so you could have @ http;//yourname.com going to 1 address#
and www http;//www.yourname.com going to another

:)

its a CNAME value
eg http://ww2.bet180.co.uk

in the host file you would put
www2 or what ever
then in teh next box ( normally TTL ) you'd put 14400 then you'd put www.redirectionlink.com.
dont forget the . at the end

so you could have www2 in teh CNAME but in reality its going to www.
 
thats a good old trick to show how many servers you own and a new type of domain name :D
 
Ya I think I'll be using this stuff, I got a cpanel/WHT resellers account paid for a year. I can start using this stuff, and make it all work for me when I need to. :)
 
tas38 said:
Ya I think I'll be using this stuff, I got a cpanel/WHT resellers account paid for a year. I can start using this stuff, and make it all work for me when I need to. :)

It has no effect having just one reseller account. You can create subdomains but having www1 www2, etc will not have any effect.
 
That is ture, but I can make another resellers account I think but not 100% sure. I have 20 GB of space, to play around with and make a few accounts.
 
If it is on the same server you will not benefit from doing what you are asking in this thread. The reason sites do www1 www2, etc is to balance out the load on their website. If the load is greater than a certain # it will automatically display the site using server2 www2, and so on.
 
Thanks for the info, I'll need to get another account on a different server, to use it then right ?
 
As you want, it's the same using www3 than www, just see if it looks better on your site (I think it won't). If you only have a server (like most of the people of this world), just do it with subdomains.
 
You are right, it's really only good if you have 2 different servers. That need to be balanced out, and I don't have a big site at all. Tim
 
Use A Records via registrar

ww1.domain.com pointing to IP 123.456.789.120
ww2.domain.com pointing to IP 123.456.789.121

seperate servers, normally connect to a bigger database server, but all files and proccessing etc are on the ww1, ww2 etc servers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom