Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How keep the original birthday date of a domain name when backorder it after expiration ?

Florian

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I thought it wasn't possible to keep an original birthdate when you backorder an expiring domain name, since it is catch after being released, which sounds logic.
But I have found, on several occasions, that companies manage to recover expired domains while retaining the original creation date. I even have a very concrete example since I inadvertently expired a name belonging to me created in 1998, and the new owner, a domain name resale company, put it on sale and it is still dated 1998 in the whois. (and they aren't my old registrar)

Any idea ?
Thanks !

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
If a domain expires, ie becomes available to register, it loses its date. However if a domain is at a registrar that extends it after it is due to expire, auctions/sells it, and then a buyer transfers it to another registrar it will never expire and thus have the original registration date.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you go to a registrar's auction page (example NameSilo,) and buy an expiring name it will be retained, but the date will not be retained if it becomes available to register again.

REK15

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much does the loss of the original birth date really matter, when buying a dropped domain?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators