Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How much TM research is required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can a trademark holder from *** (country) sue me for taking a domain in which he has a trademark in his country?

I can imagine that it wouldn't be fair to require a domain registrant to check TM's in every country in the world... Or I can also imagine that two persons form different countries can have the trademark for the same word, each in their own country...

So the question really is: how much TM research are domain speculators required to do before registering a name (since, in my opinion, it's not always possible to find out of a TM) ?

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll defer to the legal experts here on your TM research and possible multi-jurisdictional queries ... but I can tell you this; one CAN be sued for just about anything, whether they can win, or are successful is an entirely different matter.
Good Luck.

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering CoolHost,

In the USA you can be sued for stepping on one's foot, but I'm not in the USA. Does that make things different then? Which law is applicable: the law in my country or the law of whoever thinks he has the rights to my domain name?

Regards,

spietreser

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom