Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

how often to analyze zone file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for those of you in the know - just wondering how ofter you analyze zone files. considering the size of the file, i don't do it every day. am i missing out if i'm not having a look every day? seems to me that, due to the nature of things, you would end up with the same info, even if you zones are spread out a few days.

also wondering who might be able to recommend an efficient bulk whois checker - only need SRS data.

Domain summit 2024

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zone file is at least 1.6 gig uncompressed. Not all that helpful by itself. Usually it's best to just subscribe to services that do the work for you especially deleteddomains.com which is free and very useful.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I do analysis daily.

Lots of automation in place on my end :D

Yes, theoretically you can do it ever couple of days, but the analysis results become huge. It is bad enough doing them daily.

-Bob

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Daily :) script it! Make it automaticall and then drinking beer just filter out the good names :)

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on what your goal is. If you want to be the first to have a list of deactivated domain names, you'll need to download and parse the zone files twice per day.

If you are using other methods to find expiring domain names, and just want to keep track of when they are deactivated or reactivated, just skip the zone files and do DNS NS queries against the gtld servers. For any reasonable number of domain names, it's faster (and updated before the zone files are available for download.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators