Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How private is private registration?

MostlyHarmless

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Which domain registrars take private registration more seriously?

I will be setting up a web site (a discussion forum) and want to avoid getting "doxed" by crazy people. I thought of getting private domain registration to help with this. I am happy with government/police knowing my ID, location, etc. I just want to avoid this getting out to angry people who don't like the content of the discussions.

MostlyHarmless

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This is what I read in a wiki, which prompted my question. They say that some registrars give the data up with little more than a phone request while others take your privacy more seriously. As I said, I am OK with my data in the hands of law enforcement or government. I just don't want it in the hands of some crazy person.

The wiki on Domain_privacy

I think I will go for a respected registrar and then consider more precautions later if the site takes off. Is namecheap.com OK? I read people have few complaints about them. In addition to registering a couple of domains for projects I have half a dozen still in godaddy I might transfer.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You might also consider using a non-US registrar/outside your own jurisdiction - even if they get an injunction from the US they are "probably" not compelled to satisfy it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom