• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How to acquire a name a big company doesn't use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomnia

DNF Regular
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
869
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I happen to be liking this domain name that this big tupperware company doesn't use anymore. The name belong to a subsidiary but no longer exists.

I looked up the WHOIS and found a couple numbers, but they are mainly client service number. I called a couple and got forwarded around to various IT deparments, who of course have no control and no knowledge of the domain.

So I was told to contact the legal department, but thats kind of hard if you have to start with the consumer services number and get forwarded several times through.

The domain expires next year in April, I doubt they'll pick it up, but I don't want to wait that long because I'm starting a project that needs a name in the next 2 months.

Any ideas on how to contat or get closer to the people I'm looking for? Physical visits not an option, they're in florida, i'm in canada.
 
Talking to the Legal Department will only create massive expense and trouble. Lawyers will grab on and hold tighter to something they would normally not pay any attention to if they sense blood. So I'd stay away from that approach.

Keep doing your research and find the Director of Marketing or the Sales Manager. These guys will generally have the juristiction of making decisions regarding their companie's "branding" or lack of which, complete use of or generally disguarded ideas. He/she may just flip it to you to SAVE the company money... remind them of the fact that it has cost them and will next year ;)

That the approach I would take. Whatever you do, don't bother with the Lawyers unless you HAVE to.

Good Luck!

GoPC
 
Agreed.


Talking to the legal group there, to me, is like cutting your arm and then sticking it into a shark tank.

They will interpret your inquiry as a sign of weakness/chance to make a quick buck. You don't become a lawyer by not taking advantage of every, single situation.


Good luck!
 
They might not even know they have it anymore. Employees come and go. There's even a chance that the email contact may no longer be up to date or that nobody checks it.

If they are a big company, it's nothing for them to hang on to the domain forever. I know you're not looking to wait that long, but personally I think you'd have a better chance letting it drop, rather than go asking around and generating awareness about it.

The moment you approach anyone there, I think their first inclination would be to say no, as you could be a potential competitor.
 
Just keep calling, check the whois of the nameservers it might lead to a different number. Eventually youll find who you need. IF it drops youll have a crap load of comp in the drops usually.
 
I agree with the avoiding lawyers part, but I don't think this company really cares about the name. When I talked to the IT department, they said the legal/administrative took care of those kinds of things.

One reason I don't think they'll bother gouging me is because they really don't use the name before. Its not a product name, but rather a comapny name like "Jargon Inc." or "Smelecus", the made up kind heh. Afterall, archive.org shows they've barely used the name. Even right now its sitting with an "under construction" page with some stupid construction photo.

But I did call the legal deparment, the messaging machine was a by one legal representative. So I left a message with my email, hopefully she'll reply and maybe I can get a bargain.
 
Get an account with SnapNames.com and up the name on backorder just in case they drop it -- if nobody else has it on backorder - you can have it for $60--- Snapnames allmost always is able to snap it versus the competitors - Pool.com is another alternative but from what i hear SnapNames is much better -- i personally perfer it IMHO :-)
 
I would get in contact with the decision maker (sale/marketing/management) and plea your case. Try to drive sympathy. I think the only way you would get it from them is to: A) Have someone in the company "on your side" helping you, or B) throw a large enough figure at them to make it worth their while. "A" sounds like the better option, as large corps couldn't be bothered with the hassle for a measely few K.
 
If the company is really big and it sounds like that is the situation, you may also want to ask someone in the marketing department who their "agency" is (advertising and/or branding agency).

More and more decisions regarding websites and domains are being made by the "agencies." Reach out to the agency - they may have more then one - and see if they can assist you or provide the right person at the company that you need to speak with.

If an agency can help "move" an unused domain that's just one more good mark in their column with the company they represent.
 
Yeah, the tough part is finding the right people. I really don't have a clue who is in charge of the domains, or if anyone even knows about the domain at the company.

Its wierd because the name belonged to a subsidiary company that doesn't exist anymore, so I have to work my way through the parent company. Should be interesting, I'll keep ya posted on any news.
 
try looking through social networking sites for businesses such as linkedin etc ;)
 
I agree with the avoiding lawyers part, but I don't think this company really cares about the name. When I talked to the IT department, they said the legal/administrative took care of those kinds of things.

One reason I don't think they'll bother gouging me is because they really don't use the name before. Its not a product name, but rather a comapny name like "Jargon Inc." or "Smelecus", the made up kind heh. Afterall, archive.org shows they've barely used the name. Even right now its sitting with an "under construction" page with some stupid construction photo.

But I did call the legal deparment, the messaging machine was a by one legal representative. So I left a message with my email, hopefully she'll reply and maybe I can get a bargain.

So insomnia, did you get the name?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom