Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed I interested in selling www.masters.com.au

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I've just got into buying domains. There is one I want to sell.

Despite the aweful design, I do alright with http://www.masters.com.au . It is owned by my company Masters Medical Pty Ltd(*) and I want to sell the domain name. I'll just move the content to some other domains (e.g. http://tens-machines.com ).

Some obvious buyers would be promoters of the Australian Masters or other sporting organisations with the word "Masters" in them. What do you guys think the domain is worth and the best way to sell it? I'm not interested in less than $usd12-15,000. With the Australian summer still a number of months off, I though that now would be the best time to sell it, giving the promoters some time to get the site up and running.

(*) - Masters Medical Pty Ltd is a single director, single shareholder company registered in the state of Victoria, Australia in 1988. I am the sole director and shareholder.

Domain summit 2024

to be honest I can't say I've seen any .com.au domains sell, so its very hard to really evaluate their worth. Melb it used to have rules against selling them also, though I think people used to try and sell them along side a business name. However that rule may have changed by now with their new policy.

Yours is quite nice though but I doubt you'll get the kind of figure you're after unless you can target some big corps with similar names, best of luck though.

M

MattyP

I am wondering if anyone is clear on the rules of selling .com.au domain names.

I guess if you sell it as a online business I.E. name, content etc is may be allowed.

I thought it was not possible to resell .com.au names.

Anyone know the exact rules?

Matt

Well seems like names are either registered to the business name or the company name, so I guess if you sell the whole business name/company name (which just happens to own a domain :) ) then all that changes is the contact details, not the registrant itself, so technically the name itself is never actually sold.

thanks guys. I think your right, I can't sell the name. I checked their terms ( http://www.melbourneit.com.au/policies/aupolicy.php ):
The Licensee agrees that it will:

ensure that its Domain Name Application is in the form specified in the Published Policies;

obtain the consent of individuals whose personal information is to be publicly listed in the Registry as part of the Domain Name Application;

at all times comply with the Published Policies;

promptly notify Melbourne IT of any change to its Domain Name registration details;

promptly notify Melbourne IT of any actual or threatened proceedings brought in respect of the word/s used as a Domain Name whether by or against the Licensee; and

not, directly or indirectly, through registration or use of its Domain Name or otherwise:

register a Domain Name for the purpose of selling it;
register a Domain Name for the purpose of diverting trade from another business or web site;
deliberately register as a Domain Name misspellings of another entity's company or brand name in order to trade on the reputation of another entity's goodwill;
register a Domain Name and then passively hold a Domain Name Licence for the purpose of preventing another licensee from registering it;
transfer or purport to transfer a right of ownership in any Domain Name registration; or
grant or purport to grant a security interest or other encumbrance in a Domain Name.

I don't want to sell the business, which owns the domain name.

Damm. I wish I had registered masters.com when it was available at the same time I got masters.com.au . I didn't want to fork out a couple of hundred bucks back then. A year later it was still available - about to register it, then some accountancy firm picked it up. The firm had the name Masters in it, however, they got sued by US Masters ( I think, Masters something anyway) for use of it. US Masters lost the case :)

:confused: masters.com was registered in early 1995, over 2 years before masters.com.au?

my mistake. when I checked in 1996/1997 I only checked masters.com in my browser and got nothing, so assumed it was available. If you check it now, it's still the same, though www.masters.com works.

Originally posted by bennoart
master bates

I see master-bates.com is still available. Good name for a fishing gear and bate shop, or did you have something else in mind? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators