Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I just got noticed !

Status
Not open for further replies.

svfox

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My question is how does realtors conflict with National Association of REALTORS as they say.
It doesn't make sense to me.
realtors is a dictionary term, generic, should not be able to be claimed.
You know how many domains would be in conflict!
Any advice from fellow domainers?

The Internet domain name, realtorsforums.com, which you have recently registered has been identified by the National Association of REALTORS as one in which the membership mark of the National Association of REALTORS (National Association) is used as a part of the domain name. The domain name came to our attention as a result of our monitoring of the Internet for use of the REALTOR membership marks. The terms REALTOR, REALTORS, and REALTOR-ASSOCIATE, as well as the REALTOR block "R" logo, are all federally registered collective membership marks owned by the National Association. Collective membership marks are a type of trademark which, rather than indicating the source of a product or service, identify the user of the membership mark as a member of a particular group, in this case the National Association.

NONMEMBER USE
According to our records you are currently not a member of the National Association and therefore, your use of the membership mark is incorrect. Because the use has not been authorized it may also be viewed as an infringement of the National Association's legal rights in its membership marks under the federal Lanham Act and other state and federal laws. To eliminate this potential source of conflict, we would appreciate your cooperation in revising your domain name to eliminate any use of the membership marks. Many times this is as simple as substituting an appropriate job title for the term being used, for example, real estate broker can often be used without making any other changes to the text. If you would like to read more about trademarks and the rights of trademark owners, there are a number of sites on the Internet, which address this topic.

DOMAIN RESELLERS
If you intend to resell this domain name, it is your legal responsibility to inform any prospective purchasers that this domain name contains a federally registered trademark and the owner will request that it not be used on the Internet.

We are attempting to track our efforts in connection with the Internet and request that you acknowledge your understanding of this request for your cooperation by providing us with your assurance that you will not use the domain name realtorsforums.com. Thank you for your help and we look forward to receiving your reply.

Vivian Chen
Trademark/Insurance Coordinator
National Association of REALTORS®
[email protected]

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
basically most terms with "realtor" fall under that association

so, unless you are also a realtor, then you're most likely to loose it

i had one some years ago and just gave up the domain

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well if realtor is generic cant see the problem imho

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it than they already did:

"The terms REALTOR, REALTORS, and REALTOR-ASSOCIATE, as well as the REALTOR block "R" logo, are all federally registered collective membership marks owned by the National Association. Collective membership marks are a type of trademark which, rather than indicating the source of a product or service, identify the user of the membership mark as a member of a particular group, in this case the National Association."

Where you err is that the term Realtor is not a common, generic, dictionary term...

These guys aggressively protect that TM too... always have... so get out while you can.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As Cartoonz said, a Realtor is not a job title; it's a mark of membership to a specific club that offers it when certain criteria are met. It's not like saying "builder" or "plumber".

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always wondered if it was this organization who CREATED this word (gave it its meaning) or it has been used long before...

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about realty ?

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm in a worse position. I own nar.info and realty acts can get me sued.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and realties?

svfox

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I thought it was generic.

So if a licensed realtor can use it, I can sell it to one?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can sell it to one?

Yup. Unfortunately the Realtors might hold you liable for that, too.

And to add-on what Acro said, look up "collective trademark".

CarnegieSteel

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fight it if you have the time/inclination

or file a countersuit for them using part of RealtorForum.com in their name.

Find an IP attorney at a nearby lawschool - my IP professor had us help him with a pro bono client as part of a class project. Might be worth a shot.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realtors® is a TM indeed.

I'm in a worse position. I own nar.info and realty acts can get me sued.
NAR is an acronym which could stand for something else. But the sponsored links for real estate are leaving you open to disputes. I would unpark the domain if I were you.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fight it if you have the time/inclination

or file a countersuit for them using part of RealtorForum.com in their name.

Find an IP attorney at a nearby lawschool - my IP professor had us help him with a pro bono client as part of a class project. Might be worth a shot.

You ARE kidding... right?

If not, you definitely need to look up the track record for this particular group before you throw someone else to the wolves.

azanmi

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had to drop a name (i thought it was a generic .mobi) with that TM term in it about a year ago as well.
sux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators