Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

ICANN Pulls a Fast One over WLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the "preliminary" minutes of the August 23rd board meeting, the minutes stated:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm

"(a) Subscriptions under the WLS in the .com and .net top-level domains shall not be taken by VeriSign Global Registry Services until at least six months have elapsed after implementation of the Redemption Grace Period for all deleted names in those top-level domains;"

In particular, the time stated is "at least SIX months".

Now, checking the final minutes, they state:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-23aug02.htm

"(a) Subscriptions under the WLS in the .com and .net top-level domains shall not be taken by VeriSign Global Registry Services until at least three months have elapsed after implementation of the Redemption Grace Period for all deleted names in those top-level domains;"

Notice the words mysteriously changed to "at least THREE months".

Something smells fishy.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, looks like it is 6 months after all. If one scrolls down further in the final minutes, that "3" months gets amended to the 6. Whew!

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't exactly understand what this means...

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, it turns out it was 6 months after all. WLS can't be imposed until the redemption grace period is in place for that long.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Conflicts with the 30 day grace period. Doesn't it?

If grace period (TBA) is 30 days... Why wait 6 months for WLS?

I would think WLS would start at on the 31st day.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who gets a headache everytime I read more about this whole subject - and try to ponder the future - what will really happen - and what effect it will really have on all of us? :eek:

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper
Am I the only one who gets a headache everytime I read more about this whole subject - and try to ponder the future - what will really happen - and what effect it will really have on all of us? :eek:

namep:upset:pper

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All this goobledegook is killing me. Is WLS going to start on Jan 1 2003 or what?

MBZ

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's hope not.

I'll be way to hung over................Probably sleep 'till noon...........

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bet it won't start until 2004.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the point of the last post. The
domain is pointing to an enom park page.

If its a legit site, then I guess it's worth checking out
otherwise there is no reason to post some random
domain here...

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
George,
"The Fast One" will be the lifting of the requirement to notify the current domain owner
whenever a WLS is applied. That I am told is
in the works.....Dwayne

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dwayne: if they do that, it'll make the challenge of it by Dotster that much easier. :)

play

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
According to this forum the worst registrar is verisign/netsol.

Question?

Why would anyone prefer to deal with the worst registrar exclusively to get their domains from at drops?

If the system is working why break it. Do you want send all the domain grabing sites out of business?

Would you like to deal with verisign again to take your domains from; and potencially losing them in the process? I heard their customer service stinks - most of the time.

Signed: antiwls.org

PLAY

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by play
According to this forum the worst registrar is verisign/netsol.

Question?

Why would anyone prefer to deal with the worst registrar exclusively to get their domains from at drops?

If the system is working why break it. Do you want send all the domain grabing sites out of business?

Would you like to deal with verisign again to take your domains from; and potencially losing them in the process? I heard their customer service stinks - most of the time.

Signed: antiwls.org

PLAY

Most won't deal directly with Verisign. The WLS is a wholesale program in which verisign offers other domains as well as their own the program, just as they now get $6 for every .com and .net domain registered by other registrars. I'm sure they will retail it as well, but you won't have to register names with them to use it. If it also works for other TLD's I'd assume the master registrar for those would also be involved as the wholesaler.

Actually, snapnames is the largest domain grabbing business, and is the brains behind the verisign WLS and will be either selling the software or managing the WLS. In doing so, they will efffectively put all their competition out of business, except for names that people don't want to pay WLS prices for.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ICANN is now revisting the unenforced rules that domains are supposed to be dropped a certain period after expiration. They are now taking public comment on this policy development. Hopefully, they will come to a decision before the WLS goes into effect to keep NSI/VS from hording the names they have in hopes of getting $24 per name in the WLS wholesale or much more retail, instead of losing them to other registrars and only getting $6 wholesale.

http://www.icann.org/dnso/gtld-deletions-issue-paper-16oct02.htm

I encourage everyone to reply to this URL with a comment by the November 5 deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators