Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Important Read This if You Want to Bid Sunday Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My programmers are telling me that you will need Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4 installed on your PC. The auction client is a java applet which will not work without the JRE.

You can find downloads for different operating systems here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Test your system by going here http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html. If you get a gray square with login blanks, you're good to go.

If you have any troubles with the test, download and install the latest version of Netscape. It works fine without having to install anything.

A reminder: Auction Night will change to Saturday after this Sunday's auction.

Upvote 0

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob

I have been publicly flogged :depressed:

And I was trying to be discreet. :)

I know everyone was thinking it was Namepopper. :)

Domain Summit 2024

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr

And I was trying to be discreet. :)

I know everyone was thinking it was Namepopper. :)

I'll fess up, it was me. . .

BTW - I read them Greg, I was just sick this week and did not retain a lot of info. :D

-Bob

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
" Mac OS X provides a highly-optimized, tightly integrated implementation of Java 2 Standard Edition 1.3"

So I guess I won't be bidding this time around, especially since it sounds like the applet's gonna appear at the last minute and not be tested first. I hope no one's counting on me being here bidding.

How about getting your programmers to read:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaLP/JavaToMac/
"January 14, 2003
Bringing your JavaTM Application to Mac OS X
Learn how to tweak your JavaTM application to make it friendlier to Mac OS X users. "

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My programmers said everyone should install the 1.4 version because one of them was using XP and the auction client didn't work until he installed the plug-in. I have Windows 2000 and I didn't have to install the plug-in.

The auction client may work with almost everyone's configuration. It's just best to install the plug-in if you can.

ezinestein

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm running WindowsXP Profesional with 512MB RAM and get this damn thing to install properly!

And I'm tired of trying!!

Anyone else having trouble... or will we need to wait until tomorrow to find out?

ezinestein

PS - I hope there is an alternative as 66% of the people on downloads.com give this application a thumbs down!!!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ezinestein I'm running WindowsXP Profesional with 512MB RAM and get this damn thing to install properly! And I'm tired of trying!! Anyone else having trouble... or will we need to wait until tomorrow to find out?
ezinestein PS - I hope there is an alternative as 66% of the people on downloads.com give this application a thumbs down!!!

I have XP Professional. Yes, the Sun Java Download sucks big time. Many wierd things such as suddenly asking me to insert a disk in drive A for unknown reasons, and when finally installing to Dr C getting strange error messages such as out of memory errors even though I just rebooted and have 512mb available. When I tried again it oddly asked me if I wanted to uninstall it though it never was installed successfully in the first place. Tried many times and never did get that java icon on my status bar as others say they did. I have given up.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Yes, the Sun Java Download sucks big time. I have given up.

I think I finally got it installed, but yes, many problems.

I had to expand my stack space in my MinSPs to afford the vxd space.

Thanks to Scooter, I think its okay now.

:)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have either of you tried the 1.3 version? Might be worth a try. Report back if you do.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr Have either of you tried the 1.3 version? Might be worth a try. Report back if you do.

Thanks but similar problems, 1.3 went better than 1.4 but still gave an out of memory error at the end even though I had tons of memory. The java icon is still missing.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
Ok, we have a URL for you to test if your Java plug-in is working.

Go to http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html

If you get a login screen in a gray square, you're all set.

If you get just a gray square, you need to update the Java plug-in.

You can't login, so no need in trying.

Win98 with latest IE6...at least 4 install and several uninstall attempts and still cannot see the test correctly in IE6. I fear newbies will just give up.

I did get it to work okay in Netscape 7, so I guess I'll try using that. Others may need to do the same.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

I did get it to work okay in Netscape 7, so I guess I'll try using that. Others may need to do the same.

We have liftoff Houston. Netscape to the rescue. Download and install the latest version of Netscape and you're in.

We had a couple of members last week the couldn't get into the chat room until they used Netscape.

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg. Can you please remove my 2 domains from the list?
I just now saw this thread. I'd like to see how the bidding goes with the download, new format, ect. before I submit my domains for the auction. Sorry for the late request but I hope you agree that it's fair that a seller should be informed of any change in the auction details/format, and be given a chance to rethink their entries.

I generally don't like downloading extra stuff on my older computer, but I'll give it a shot after I wake up later today...it's almost 3 am here now.

Well, you've done a great job so far. I think $1 start bids is the key. $1 start bids will allow for some fun and interest and should encourage other sellers to find domains to enter at $1, and will give also give sellers a chance to do some bidding as they are selling.

Well, good nite. :)

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use IE6 & was able to successfully download & install the program without any problems. Everyone that may be having difficulty downloading using Windows & IE6 make sure you turn off any firewall protection while downloading. This may be your problem. Choose "Open" rather than "Save" when downloading to install properly.
Hope this is of some help.
URL for you to test if your Java plug-in is working is

Go to http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html

Gregr,
when will we be able to use the login to become familiar with the screen that we will see. I try to log in and am unable to do so.
DP

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainProfiles

Gregr,
when will we be able to use the login to become familiar with the screen that we will see. I try to log in and am unable to do so.
DP

As soon as it's ready. All of my programmers are working all weekend to complete this project.

The auction interface will be simple and straight forward.
It will have some neat features like a button to click to make the minimum bid instead of having to type in what you're bidding each time.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Using the link provided, I downloaded and installed the 7 meg file J2SETM v 1.4.1_01 Windows (U.S. English only) JRE in 20 secs (DSL). I installed it in Windows XP Pro WITHOUT any issues.

The auction url is now a grey square with “Login:” & “Password” indicated. I am good to go with no problems.

Good luck everyone.

ezinestein

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
gregr...

The no thanks was to Netscape... not your auction. :cool:

I decided to grab Opera because it installs the Java Applet too. But it was version 1.3 so it didn't work with the test page you gave us.

So I bit the bullet and grabbed Netscape. I've had version 4.08 for a long time because I use it to test pages I create.

Anyway... I was afreaid that 7.0 would add a bunch of crap onto my system... that's why I wanted to avoid it.

And even though I did a custom install, it surely added a ton of garbage I didn't want.

But, I must admit... I like it! And I now see the login and password boxes on the link you provided... so I guess I'm ready. I'll keep my fingers crossed just to be on the safe side. :D

Cheers,
EZ

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by William9

The auction url is now a grey square with “Login:” & “Password” indicated. I am good to go with no problems.

Good to go. Load up your Paypal account. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom