Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Important Read This if You Want to Bid Sunday Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My programmers are telling me that you will need Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4 installed on your PC. The auction client is a java applet which will not work without the JRE.

You can find downloads for different operating systems here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Test your system by going here http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html. If you get a gray square with login blanks, you're good to go.

If you have any troubles with the test, download and install the latest version of Netscape. It works fine without having to install anything.

A reminder: Auction Night will change to Saturday after this Sunday's auction.

Upvote 0

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is HOSTS without any extension. :)

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert
Point8T misses the point completely.

I think i could not have been more on the money. No matter what your problem with the auction is, you could ahve politely PMed your concerns to the guys at dnForum or posted a friendly thread suggesting whatever it is that you think is needed in the feedback section. Or do you not agree? The other thing is this "i was the biggest, i am the greatest" attitude. THere are plenty of people here that can afford all of our domains together that never even hint at it.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>The other thing is this "i was the biggest, i am the greatest" attitude. THere are plenty of people here that can afford all of our domains together that never even hint at it.

Actually, I sais I was the 4th biggest. The point (which you continue to miss) is that with me locked out, 3 domains from last week would have sold at probably 25% of the actual price they reached.

Don't you care about sellers maximising their sales?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 domains from last week would have sold at probably 25% of the actual price they reached.

Last week was barely a blip on the radar screen. It was nothing compared to what is in store. I understand your anger about possibly being left out of something so good. We will try solve every compatibility issue there is. We can't do everything at once.
No matter what you think of my programmers, I think they're doing a great job.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We're just a bunch of grumpy ol humbugs who criticise at the drop of the nosehair. Thanks for moving it to Saturday greg, its definitely a more convenient get drunk, pig out time for me.

mastmnds

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have one question and one opinion. Can I get my names added for this auction this week. Also why do you consider using irc?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>The other thing is this "i was the biggest, i am the greatest" attitude. THere are plenty of people here that can afford all of our domains together that never even hint at it.

Actually, I sais I was the 4th biggest. The point (which you continue to miss) is that with me locked out, 3 domains from last week would have sold at probably 25% of the actual price they reached.

Don't you care about sellers maximising their sales?

I care, hell, i'm a seller and i would love my domains to sell at their maximum. And the point, which YOU continue to miss is that while your concerns may be justified, its something that should have been brought up in the feedback section. Its also something that should have been along the lines of the following:

"First of all, i would like to thank Greg and the team for a good effort last night. Besides being free, these auctions present a good chance of feeling out the true holesale value of listed domains and give this community a chance to make a quick painless sale or a good solid buy. I feel that given maximum exposure, dnForum can reach new heights with the introduction of live auctions and i am gald to be a part of this community having to participate in the 'beta' program.

Here are a couple of suggestions, if i may, that i think are aimed at maximizing the potential sales figures:

1. Create a partnership program. Allow the members of this community to sign up for advertisement rights. Work out a DNF payment structure. Let us place banners and links on our websites.
2. Make every effort to ensure that the auction engine can function on every platform and every browser. If needed, make a post calling all developers who wouldnt mind helping out for free or again, for DNF. This is very important as many potential sellers will be left out if the system can not support the Mac OS or any other platform. Make sure installation of required components is seemless and as smooth as possible, requiring as little initiative from the end-user as possible.
3. Create a dedicated beta team structured by platform, browser and machine specs. Reward the beta testers with DNF. Create a private forum section for bug reporting and beta discussion.
4. Postpone the auction giving no set date or release. Make sure that specifications are clearly defined, work is evenly distributed and apropriate time given for testing and debugging. Post a launch date only when you enter the final stages of the testing phase.
5. Implement proxy bidding as soon as possible.
6. Clearly define auction rules. Create polls which would outline main features and specifications. Mail out questionairs to all forum members.

If i missed anything, i am sure others will add to this list.
Hope these ideas make sence. Good luck with the auction, i'll be there once it goes live."

Now let me ask you, would this kind of a post result in flaming and negative replies? Would it hurt anyone or downsize anyone's efforts, or would it possible make a valid statement and inject new ideas into the movement?

Think about it. My point is clearly defined.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Relying on Java is a big mistake. Constant problems and incompatabilities.

I have always had problems with Java on every PC and operating system I have used, as have many others. With XP and IE 6 being the most incompatable of them all it seems.

I have given up trying to install the Java add-on. BTW, a while ago (approx' a 1-yr or so) there was a major lawsuit filed by Sun against Microsoft over these issues where Sun said Microsoft had deliberately done things to make Java not run on their operating systems. Do not know the outcome of that suit. Java also fails when I use Netscape too. Yes, all my java settings are turned on, I have checked them many times.

Gregr should look for an auction program which does NOT use Java. I believe there are some commercial programs on the market where you buy the program (frequently Cold Fusion code) and run it yourself with no need to hire costly programmers.

At one time I ran a Cold Fusion auction site myself and it worked perfectly. Only cost involved was less than $1,000 one time cost, to buy it and zero programming expense as the firm offered free setup and support.

P.S. Programmers usually love Java because they find it a challenge and a good way to justify the big bucks they normally charge, and they think it is the best - if they can ever get it working well - a slim and none chance.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Relying on Java is a big mistake. Constant problems and incompatabilities.

I have always had problems with Java on every PC and operating system I have used, as have many others. With XP and IE 6 being the most incompatable of them all it seems.

Hmm....That's my exact set up. Might explain why I could never get past the log in screen while many others did. XP and IE6 has to be a very common setup - since that is the default on all new Windows machines for more than a year now.

Whatever they come up with - hope I can get in next weekend. The idea is a great, once the execution is worked out it is going to grow into a monster event (both the wholesale and retail auctions)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should we maybe do a mock auction on Thursday or Friday, with 20 or 30 volunteers? Maybe free DNF Bucks for those who volunteer? (and for he/she that thought of the idea?) :) j/k

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
New test URL http://tauction.dnforum.com/test/ . If you get any text in the gray box, you're all set.

I am not at my home computer but I checked the link anyhow and the text is on the right side of the box (no log in screen appeared). Now on this computer I did not even download the Java 1.4 plug-in (it is a Win 98 machine running IE6). Does that mean Java 1.4 won't be necessary now? I'll check it on my home machine (win XP) tonight.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
Should we maybe do a mock auction on Thursday or Friday, with 20 or 30 volunteers? Maybe free DNF Bucks for those who volunteer? (and for he/she that thought of the idea?) :) j/k

You have to pay DNF$ to be in the mock auction. :)

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well BUGGER ME SIDEWAYS!

It appears to be working in Netscape 7.01/Mac OSX

WELL DONE LADS!!!!!

On the test auction front, maybe that'd be a fun way to appraise a few domains? :^)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well BUGGER ME SIDEWAYS!

It appears to be working in Netscape 7.01/Mac OSX

WELL DONE LADS!!!!!

On the test auction front, maybe that'd be a fun way to appraise a few domains? :^)

Well you sure changed your tune in a hurry - must have been that sideways buggering! :D

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I see words, people.

Running win 95 ... did not install the java.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems to work for me too. I've tried it in Mac OS 9 and OSX, good job folks.

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll say "good job" when I see it actually working.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Just as well. Without the grease, the sideways buggering might have been quite painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom