Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Important Read This if You Want to Bid Sunday Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My programmers are telling me that you will need Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4 installed on your PC. The auction client is a java applet which will not work without the JRE.

You can find downloads for different operating systems here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Test your system by going here http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html. If you get a gray square with login blanks, you're good to go.

If you have any troubles with the test, download and install the latest version of Netscape. It works fine without having to install anything.

A reminder: Auction Night will change to Saturday after this Sunday's auction.

Upvote 0

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert
Don't get booted often.

Just get upset when little boys get given admin status.

They need to get some wisdom.

Why did they boot me? Losing the debate and booting was easier than thinking? Sore brain?

No it was easier because they spent 7 straight days working on something that you dogged and they didn't have any energy left to fight with you.

Go kick someone else when they're down. :upset:

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe FelcherBoy should have considered that I was the 4th biggest buyer in last week's auction (in dollar terms) and the only one who bought 3 names, before he clicked that "boot" button.

And maybe Sord-whatever needs to consider that when deciding to lock out OSX users, by programming with security errors.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe FelcherBoy should have considered that I was the 4th biggest buyer in last week's auction (in dollar terms) and the only one who bought 3 names, before he clicked that "boot" button.

And maybe Sord-whatever needs to consider that when deciding to lock out OSX users, by programming with security errors.

I don't care if you was the biggest buyer in last week's auction. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't have been able to buy anything at last week's auction if it weren't for those programmers because there wouldn't have been an auction.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
And last week's auction didn't discriminate against users based on their O/S.

And it worked, after a fashion.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>I don't care if you was the biggest buyer in last week's auction.

The sellers of the domains I bought sure were happy I showed up.

And I wasn't talking to you, Greg, I was talking to your "programmers".

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gregr is right. we pay even for stinking eBay, no? This forum is FREE. The auction was FREE, no fees, no comission, nothing. Gregr stayed up all night last time to see all names auctioned off. Programmers worked to bring us this auction for FREE. When somebody give you a dollar for nothing, do you look at it and go "hey, man, its torn here on the side and i cant see the whole serial number"? Dont think so. If i tell you, "listen, i can give you my car, i am positive it runs, you can have it for free" and then you come to pick it up and find out it cant start, so you tell me i am an asshole? Nope, dont think so. You thank me for trying to do me a favor and give me the FREE stuff, right?

I can understand comments like "Still not working" because of the general chaos in the chat room and people trying to notigy others of their progress and the state of the auction. Inderstand a million "I cant login"s as people wanted to be a part of this event. I can understand "does this mean no auction? damn..." as people were upset at the misfortune. Upset at the misfortune, not at Gregr or the guys who programmed the applet.

What i can not understand is crap being thrown at the people who give us the FREE forums and the FREE auction. Even if your OS wasnt supported, even if your browser wasnt included! Just shut the f@#k up people. YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT AND YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR A SINGLE DAMNED THING! No excuse for putting these guys down. They did their best, it needs more work. Go tell all the makers of those games you dint buy, that only support nVidia cards, that your ATI card is being descriminated! Go email Miscrosoft about all the endless patches and security updates we have to install because their s@#t isnt working right, ok?

P.S. sorry for the typos, my english suffers when i am angry

N

namegame

I'm just a newbie here and wanted to thank gregr and all the programmers for their wonderful efforts on tonights auction. I was able to download the java app with little effort the same thing with the testing and login - although I did get help from the oldtimers on this thread. I'm sure next weeks Saturday auction will run with no snags - and as Point8t "points" out - hey its all for free - no one had to dish out any $$$ - so to all those who complain - I have only one thing to say - Do your own live auction ! and if it runs exactly the way you wanted this one to run - then you have earned your right to bash gregr and the guys!

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, vivnet, I'm sure you're glad you had no problems, becasue that way, if you're a buyer, you have less competition and therefore will get names for less than you would if ALL the serious buyers could get access.

Too bad for the poor sellers, eh?

As for running live domain auctions myself, it's not part of my business model. I'm a BUYER.

Get it yet, guys?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ALL the serious buyers could get access.

99.9% of the serious buyers don't have a MAC or if they have a MAC they also have a Windows based PC because they're not into crusades.

Get it Drewbert?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gregr is providing a great service to the domain community.

How dare anyone complain.

Enough said.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
> 99.9% of the serious buyers don't have a MAC
>or if they have a MAC they also have a >Windows based PC because they're not into
>crusades.

The Java they've written won't run on OSX because the security checks on the Mac WON'T LET IT.

This suggests that your programmers are taking shortcuts (that Windows lapse security model doesn't complain about).

If you're happy to be providing such downloadable software to your users - complete with possible security holes (including ones where your programmer(s) may be snooping over your user's machines without YOU knowing about it - are you auditing their code?), then I'll STFU and go buy names off eBay. I'm not compromising MY security for ANYONE.

Of course, all the yes-men here will probably download anything onto their windows machine without worrying, and have probably already had all their personal data stolen, so what do they care?

Good luck.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apple has brainwashed you Drewbert.

If you come to the party in Italy, I'm sure we can de-program you. :)

K

kingdon

Should I think about my personal data being stolen on the internet? The fact is my ex-wife has it all, I wouldn't doubt she distributes it outside her local prison to every inmate being released.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, everyone here with a Windows machine, open up your hosts.txt file.

do you see more stuff listed than just:

127.0.0.1 localhost

???

Is there a whole list of hostnames there (probably including qksrv.net)?

If so, at some stage you've downloaded a program that uses the hosts.txt file to 'block" banner adverts. Trouble is, it also blocks a whole bunch of stuff, including your ability to click on links that lead to online stores via CJ, linkshare, befree etc.

So if you're wondering why your affiliate income isn't as high as it should be - it's because screeds of people have downloading these same programs (Kazaa lite, etc) that block affiliate clicks without the user's express permission.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Adn another thing - many of you may have got a spam recently from some people offering you 7 cents everytime someone downloads a screensaver from their site.

That so-called screensaver download trojans in an affiliate-link-hijacking program, meaning that the 7 cents you made from that surfer is the last 7 cents you (or any other affiliate) will ever make from that person.

7 cent screensaver downloads - JUST SAY NO!

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, everyone here with a Windows machine, open up your hosts.txt file.

do you see more stuff listed than just:

127.0.0.1 localhost

There is no hosts.txt file on Windows machine that does what you think. It's a hosts file without an extension. My hosts file only has:

127.0.0.1 localhost

I must have been a good boy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom