Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Improve The Forum - Get Rid of DNF$

Status
Not open for further replies.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No doubt this will be an unpopular opinion -- DNF$ must go.

"Points for Posts" incentives are great for getting small forums going by encouraging people to post, but at a certain point of growth the concept becomes counterproductive.

This site for instance is fast approaching 2000 members. There is no lack of activity and no need to encourage more "me too" posts. Too many threads are started for the sole purpose of gaining points. The moderators are having to work doubletime to control the junk.

It would be a different story if DNF$ were rewarded for quality posts, thoughtful appraisals, and constructive feedback.

So there. :razz:

Upvote 0

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very controversial :)

if its possible perhaps greg should only allow points to be accrued in some of the less serious areas (such as the dnf auctions itself) and the domain news and of course the lounge.

this way dnf can still continue but it reduces a lot of the posts that you are referring to in areas where perhaps a 'me too' isnt helpful (appraisals, legal, for sale).

my 0.02c

Ciq

Domain Summit 2024

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont like the idea of removing it, But if it comes to that then I like the idea of giving it away for feedback and quality posts.

D

DomainNameFactory

Hmmm...maybe I better sell my DNF...the market is crashing!!!

But I actually agree.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know if we should eliminate DNF$ entirely, but I think we should put more limits on how they are earned. For example, there should be a max number of points you can earn in a 24 hour period; this would discourage irrelevant posting. This move might be coupled with dropping the pricing on the avatar and the custom title.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNFactory, if morel's suggestion was implemented and a limit was placed on the number of DNF$ you can earn per day then the market would boom. :)

Hmm, then we'd probably see more posts exchanging and selling DNF. :sigh: :dead: :razz: :cool: :D :laugh: :shy:

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
some members will always abuse a reward system like dnf
there is no doubt that it does encourage posting - some of it worthless posts - but i do think that the trading of domkains etc for dnf has been good for the forum

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too late to get rid of DNF Bucks now. People have been paying cash for them. You can't tell someone who has spent $100 on points that their points are now worthless. They only do that in banana republics and this is no banana republic is it! (uh-oh, I just remembered our leader has a dancing banana avatar - DNF point holders - you could be in trouble!)

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I fully agree: remove the DNF$ stuff. It will significantly improve the quality of this forum by "eliminating" those people and postings that only exist to play with the monopoly money.

Hans

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. The DNF feature is part of what makes this place a lot more fun than the dozens of boring "lookalike" forums around the internet. You soon figure out who has something worthwhile to say. When some halfwit starts a thread I just don't click on it - problem solved. I don't find that my site navigation and enjoyment has been slowed down any since DNF bucks came into play.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't like the worthless "me too" posts to earn points as much as the other guy. I'd go along with Morel on the 24 hour limit if that could be implemented. But I'm not in favor of "eliminating people" or what others may consider useless information.

A lot of people join to learn and using the DNF$ points seems to help them out without risking too much. The DNF$ do have a real currency value and have been used in several transactions for services, names and information in amounts of over $150 USD to date.

I happen to find the DNF$ auctions and contests entertaining. It's something to have some fun with while us serious name market participants are waiting for a few Bigger deals to be posted. I think a lot of other members feel the same way. Take a look at the numbers of posts to the threads involving DNF$ points. They are some of the highest traffic threads here. Too bad we couldn't attach that traffic to generate revenue.

This is also a way to ease the particpation on a global scale by serving some fun and humor with the bare bones capitalism.

But, I'd be fine with giving them up if that's how Gregr would want it.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wot he said

;)

A

airnike764

I am a relatively new user and I am here for the forums, not the so called DNF$. Its a game for children

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by airnike764
I am a relatively new user and I am here for the forums, not the so called DNF$. Its a game for children

No one says you have you have to accept them. When you accumulate enough just donate yours to one of the "children" who like to play with them doing silly things like buying domains with them!

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am being kicked outa here nearly every time i try to post something .. after typeing out a post i get you are not logged in message ... what a waste of my typeing finger ...

:(

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't imagine what that problem is Car. Must have something to do with these damn kids trading those DN bucks back and forth! It is absolutely ruining the place! Before long people will even start enjoying themselves here if we don't get it under control!
:)

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If everything in the DNF store was free, then there would be no
real incentive for obtaining points. Since most newbies obtain them to get their own avatar, or caption, the problem
would be solved.

Eliminate junk posts by making everything in the DNF
store free!

Luc L.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think dnpoints/dnbucks are a neat feature to have on a forum.

RMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom