Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Improve The Forum - Get Rid of DNF$

Status
Not open for further replies.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No doubt this will be an unpopular opinion -- DNF$ must go.

"Points for Posts" incentives are great for getting small forums going by encouraging people to post, but at a certain point of growth the concept becomes counterproductive.

This site for instance is fast approaching 2000 members. There is no lack of activity and no need to encourage more "me too" posts. Too many threads are started for the sole purpose of gaining points. The moderators are having to work doubletime to control the junk.

It would be a different story if DNF$ were rewarded for quality posts, thoughtful appraisals, and constructive feedback.

So there. :razz:

Upvote 0
Domain Summit 2024
M

mole

Originally posted by -RJ-
This site for instance is fast approaching 2000 members. There is no lack of activity and no need to encourage more "me too" posts. Too many threads are started for the sole purpose of gaining points. The moderators are having to work doubletime to control the junk.

It would be a different story if DNF$ were rewarded for quality posts, thoughtful appraisals, and constructive feedback.

Agreed. I remember the good ol' days when dnf first started and Dan bucks was the only way to get an avator/glow/title.

Today, people are trading around with it like monopoly money and making a joke of its original intentions - to get people to contribute. It's time to move on.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those of you who don't like dnbucks..feel free to give them to me. I'll put them to good use :D

RMF

D

DomainNameFactory

It's a smart way to get people to post...to a new forum...but DNforum.com is big enough now to survive without them.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this great forum I have met serious professionals with advanced degrees like myself. I don't think we are kids playing. I was telling my wife earlier how I enjoy the symbolic DNFpoint reward for each contribution.

One of the great moments is when friends donate points to friends on DNF.

My observation of the threads has led me to believe that there is no abuse of posting in order to obtain more points. In fact, I am impressed by the professioinalism of the members. In the serious thread sections I have not seen "junk" postings.

Maybe it's the moderator's great doing that spares us the junk. I would like to aplaud them for their hard work. If I can be of any assistance in weeding out unecessary posts and isolating "playing" folks, I volunteer my time here as a moderator's assistant.

Let's keep this forum as professional as it is now. Thx for reading this. :)

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
keep the DNF $$.

speaking for myself, i have gained 2 domain names simply with DNF $$. I think it is a great idea, just adds a whole new dimension to a forum and its things like this that puts the forum above others.

i agree that useless posts increase the $$ however these members become well known and hence lose any credability with any of their posts, so i guess that is there punishment.

i wonder who will be the forums 1st millionare ????

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right now there is a limit to the DnF that you can have at any given time --- 32,768 points. I think that this ceiling should be eliminated, because we have some members here, such as stocdoctor, who may eventually reach that.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If its not broke don't fix it.

Leave well enough alone.

Its a tough lesson to learn.

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It appears the the DNF$ may be gone! :eek:

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My thread has new life.. :swg: Except now I can't earn DNF from the replies. :rolleyes:

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:eek:

I doubt the recent DNF$ changes had anything to do with this post. I'm looking forward to seeing what greg has in store for DNF though!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How about a POLL be taken on the issue?? Or, is that too crazy of a suggestion? :)
Thanks.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by IPatlas
In this great forum I have met serious professionals with advanced degrees like myself. I don't think we are kids playing.

Speaking of advanced degrees. Do you realize that what is happening here with DNF Bucks$ could be turned into a very interesting doctoral thesis. Not to mention the fact that the "DNF Monetary System" could be studied for it's value as a economic tool to attract web customers. It's not a novel idea, but how it's been administerd has been. As a student in economic philosophy I have been amazed at the level to which this has been taken. There are no children's games being played here, and you can take that to the bank!

One last bit of izopodian philosophy: History has shown those who don't understand buy things from those who do.

izopod

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>IPatlas: In this great forum I have met serious professionals with advanced degrees like myself ...

I don't know if I could be called a professional because my first Master's degree is actually in Educational Administration and Management, which has nothing to do with my current job as a web designer; and my second Master's degree in pogress (in Public Administration) is not any closer. LOL! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom