• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

question .IN aftermarket rules compared with .COM — how are investors adapting?

This is a general or domain name related question.

nicenicnicenic is verified member.

ICANN Registrar | Reseller API | Accept Crypto
ICANN Accredited Registrar
Hosting Provider
Joined
Nov 9, 2024
Messages
901
Reaction score
343
One interesting part of ccTLD investing is that each registry can have a different approach to the aftermarket.

The recent .IN Registry advisory is a good example of why investors cannot always apply .COM assumptions to every extension.

For those with international domain portfolios, do registry-specific rules affect how you decide which ccTLDs to invest in?

Source:
 
This is wild!
.IN domain name registrants and .IN Accredited Registrars are hereby advised that auctioning, bidding, speculative sale, or facilitation of auction of any .IN domain name is strictly non-permissible and shall be treated as a violation of the applicable .IN Registry policies, terms and conditions, and regulatory framework governing .IN domain names.
 
I treat registry policy as part of the investment rather than fine print. Before I buy anything outside .com I check three things, whether ownership can transfer freely, whether the registry allows auctions or third party sales at all, and whether they can come back for registrant verification long after the purchase. The .IN advisory is a reminder that liquidity can disappear by decision rather than by market. A name you cannot auction is effectively a name you have to sell to one buyer at a time, so I take that risk only when there is a clear local end user and a price I would be comfortable holding for years. The practical effect on me has been fewer extensions and more depth in each one. I keep every acquisition, renewal and offer logged for my own portfolio with a small tracker I built at dnwai.com/d, because judging exit liquidity is easier with real numbers in front of you than with gut feeling.
 
Hurts a lot :) We have to digest this fact, and live with the decision..,
That makes sense. Hard situation for anyone who registered before the advisory dropped...
 
I treat registry policy as part of the investment rather than fine print. Before I buy anything outside .com I check three things, whether ownership can transfer freely, whether the registry allows auctions or third party sales at all, and whether they can come back for registrant verification long after the purchase. The .IN advisory is a reminder that liquidity can disappear by decision rather than by market. A name you cannot auction is effectively a name you have to sell to one buyer at a time, so I take that risk only when there is a clear local end user and a price I would be comfortable holding for years. The practical effect on me has been fewer extensions and more depth in each one. I keep every acquisition, renewal and offer logged for my own portfolio with a small tracker I built at dnwai.com/d, because judging exit liquidity is easier with real numbers in front of you than with gut feeling.
Thanks for explaining how you'd handle it. The private sale angle is where I'm unsure, because the advisory also mentions "speculative sale". Having a local buyer in mind might not answer that on its own.
 
Back
Top Bottom