• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale INACTIVE, PENDING TRANSFER? What's the Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
6,088
Reaction score
62
I have a Snap on a .org name that was inactive with no nameservers and supposedly to be dropped soon. Today the status was changed to INACTIVE, PENDING TRANSFER. I've never seen this one before.
Pending transfer to who? Can someone tell me what is happening with this name?


Old Values:

Registrar: R30-LROR
WhoisServer: whois.domainpeople.com
ReferralURL: www.domainpeople.com
Status: INACTIVE
UpdatedDate: 2003-04-29
NameServers: No nameserver

New Values:

Registrar: R30-LROR
WhoisServer: whois.domainpeople.com
ReferralURL: www.domainpeople.com
Status: INACTIVE,
PENDING TRANSFER
UpdatedDate: 2003-04-29
NameServers: No nameserver
 
DomainPeople is a Snapnames Partner isn't it?
Have you got the name - or is it one of those "special" deals with a big buyer to grab the name from under everyone elses noses?
 
While watching a Snap, I've only had it go--
From:
Status:CLIENT HOLD
Status:PENDING DELETE
To:
Status:INACTIVE
Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED

At least, in the last go 'round. Maybe PIR is working something new out for there process. Good to NOTE it, especially if something goes "wrong" or "funny" later. Some .ORG's have been getting transferred in funny ways it seems.

~ Nexus
 
I think INACTIVE just means the domain has no name servers, not that it's going to drop. The owner probably initiated a transfer to another registrar.
 
Something weird is going on here. The Pending Transfer just showed up today, but according to the PIR records the name also expired today (thought it was difficult to transfer a name with less than 30 days left). Here is the PIR record:

Domain ID: D86208499-LROR
Domain Name: ???.ORG
Created On: 02-May-2002 22:51:15 UTC
Last Updated On: 29-Apr-2003 11:00:50 UTC
Expiration Date: 02-May-2003 22:51:15 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar: Domain People Inc. (R30-LROR)
Status: INACTIVE
Status: PENDING TRANSFER
Registrant Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Registrant Street1: Whois Server:whois.domainpeople.com
Registrant Street2: Referral URL:http://www.domainpeople.com
Admin Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Billing Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Tech Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR


I have heard nothing from Snap except that the status of the domain changed, so I'm sure I didn't get it.
 
Originally posted by Duke
Something weird is going on here. The Pending Transfer just showed up today, but according to the PIR records the name also expired today (thought it was difficult to transfer a name with less than 30 days left). Here is the PIR record:

Domain ID: D86208499-LROR
Domain Name: ???.ORG
Created On: 02-May-2002 22:51:15 UTC
Last Updated On: 29-Apr-2003 11:00:50 UTC
Expiration Date: 02-May-2003 22:51:15 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar: Domain People Inc. (R30-LROR)
Status: INACTIVE
Status: PENDING TRANSFER
Registrant Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Registrant Street1: Whois Server:whois.domainpeople.com
Registrant Street2: Referral URL:http://www.domainpeople.com
Admin Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Billing Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Tech Name: SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR


I have heard nothing from Snap except that the status of the domain changed, so I'm sure I didn't get it.

Ron, it can take days before Snapnames advise that you've got the name - whilst its possible it has been "snatched away" I wouldn't give up hope yet.
 
Thanks Roger. I've usually gotten Snap success notices fairly quickly - and I am hopeful maybe there is just some delay at work here as I would really like this domain. Here is some more weirdness though. Below is the WhoIS from the registrar DomainPeople - and it says nothing about being Inactive or Pending Transfer and DOES show nameservers - but the same expiration date - today:

| Registrant:
| XXXXXXXXXXX (this was previous registrant's info)
| XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
| XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
| United States of America
|
| Registrar: Domain people Inc.
|
| Domain Name: ???.org
| Created on .............FRI MAY 03 09:53:02 2002
| Expires on .............SAT MAY 03 09:53:02 2003
| Record last updated on .TUE APR 29 04:01:27 2003
|
| |
| Domain servers in listed order:
| ns1.xxxxxxx.com xxxxxxxxxxxx (x'ed out data)
| ns4.xxxxxxx.com xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Caught where I made one error - Expired date shows tomorrow - May 3 - not today, but still no explanation on a Pending Transfer or no nameserver status as PIR shows.
 
What's wrong with my explanation? :confused:

I checked one of my .org domains with no name servers, and it shows a status of INACTIVE, so I'm pretty sure it just means the domain has no name servers. The owner probably initiated a transfer to another registrar at the last minute. You did not get the domain. Nothing weird is going on. I don't see what you're confused about.
 
Originally posted by ToastyX
What's wrong with my explanation? :confused:

I checked one of my .org domains with no name servers, and it shows a status of INACTIVE, so I'm pretty sure it just means the domain has no name servers. The owner probably initiated a transfer to another registrar at the last minute. You did not get the domain. Nothing weird is going on. I don't see what you're confused about.

Don't most registrars decline transfers within 10 days of expiry?
Wouldn't this rule out a transfer within Client Hold or Pending Delete?
 
PENDING TRANSFER just means a transfer was initiated but not yet approved or rejected by the losing registrar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom