• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

.info vs .us - Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
I am just curious, what does everyone think about .info vs .us as far as future potential? From a USA end-user perspective, aside from .com, .info and .us seem to have way less recognition than .net and .org since many people still don't even know they exist. Although I think that's starting to change a bit, i've noticed over the last couple of months volvocars.us has been heavily marketing this domain and I have seen .info start popping up in ads now too. Personally I have been accumulating a few of each, since I don't know over time which will gain more ground, but my gut is that both will appreciate nicely over time, especially once you get a large company or two that register them and start major marketing campaigns (like volvo) and they start to catch on with the general public. Although I think .us might do a bit better because 1.) it's shorter than .info and easier for to type, and 2.) it might have a bit more commercial appeal as an alternative to .com than .info just because of the nature of the extension. Although on the other hand, if .info were to evolve into an alternate form of direct navigation search, and has international appeal, who knows?

So, what do y'all think? Any guesses on where these two will go in the future? :huh:
 
.info vs .us - Which is better?

.mobi. :rofl:

Sorry to take it off subject. Personally I would by .info over .us pretty much anytime. But I don't really venture beyond .com.
 
It's international, it's intuitive and it has a supposed purpose.
 
I think info over us , simply because a lot more people can register/own it
 
All depends on what type of site your building. .us can be utilized very well for a commercial site with a strictly US audience when there are no suitable .coms avail (think law, insurance etc...). As far as the future is concerned they both appear to have a bright future.
 
All depends on what type of site your building.
Its quite often that one reads this qualifier but the fact is that when domainers ask of an opinion on a subject like this, its not because they wana build a site of their own but primarily because they want a decent ROI, generally via re-sale of names down the road.
 
Only .info, all the way, it is truly Global.
However , if you are American & are just targetting that audience, .us can be picked up pretty cheap.
TBH considering how insular the US is (generally speaking as a nation, present company excluded. LOL) I am surprised how relatively unsuccessful the extension is, & has been to date.
Pred :scared:
 
Information lol
 
.info No doubt. What´s the question?

How is that some people think that everything goes around US only?
 
glitch in the space/time fabric (double post)
 
yes, info is a TLD, .us is a ccTLD, big difference in geographical market.
I also predict bigger things for .biz in the future :banplease:
 
.info is truly global, but much better suited to information topics than commercial use. For example jewelry.info vs jewelry.us, I would say jewelry.us would be much better. Or jewelry.co.uk, or .com.au etc., because people really are looking for information about jewelry, they are looking to buy it.
 
if you are trying to sell a product in the usa only, go with .us

if you have an informational site, price comparison site or any site that isn't u.s. specific, go with .info
 
If you are looking at developing an eCommerce site where your target market is the United States... .us all the way!
 
Sorry Wrong thread btw i prefer info over .us
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom