Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Initial permission from a trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzoula

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My question is this: can you get sued by a company later or be forced somehow to turn over a domain which has a company's trademark in it if they initially approve of your utilizing it?

I was thinking about the scenario where an employee of the company makes use of the domain whether it be for personal or business reasons but later ends his/her employment with the company. For whatever reason the relationship is terminated, is one still liable to fall in a grey area, or does the initial approval still stand, especially if you have documentation?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what was the end result of that case? did MTV kick that registrant's butt in court?

KatieBeez

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I browsed Adam Curry's website and it looks like they settled out of court confidentially. The domain is now registered on Whois under MTV.

Wonder if he got some money out of them? There was some litigation before it was settled but it didn't go too far...

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very quickly, one CAN be sued for just about anything! Whether they are successful or not is an entirely different matter, as I understand it.
Good Luck.

PS. I ain't no lawyer! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom