Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed inlineskating.us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My first .us should I develop or resell? What is the estimated value of this domain 3-5 years from now?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Develop.
Sell inlineskates.
As for the value in 3-5 years - uh?
Nobody knows the future.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't mind alaneads, he is obviously clueless, but he is harmless :).

Developing is always a good idea, especially since it will be a few years before .US comes into its own. You will be increasing the value of your own domain as well as helping the extension in general grow in recognition. Best of all you have the U.S. Treasury totally committed by law to promote your new extension (as soon as Bush signs it and that is considered a mere formality now).

If others want to continue to live in the past and ignore the news and signs all around them, let them nap in peace!

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, .us should surpass .biz within 1-3 years and it may even pass .info for USA businesses. It may surpass .org & .net as well for USA businesses over time, only time will tell.

.biz is dead in the water.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
I agree, .us should surpass .biz within 1-3 years and it may even pass .info for USA businesses. It may surpass .org & .net as well for USA businesses over time, only time will tell.

.biz is dead in the water.

I pretty much share your view E-P. .Org is non-profit, .net has to carry the "service provider" baggage with it, .info is good but more limited and .biz is one I just haven't been able to warm up to yet. .US is open to all uses and comes into the fray with no pre-conceived notions as to what kind of domains should be there or not be there. With the government backing it I think it will soar in popularity just as .de did in Germany.

I also remain a fan of .com. I see it remaining strong - the Cadillac of the industry - but I think .US will give people a viable option (nothing wrong with Chevys you know!). I can definitely see it being a solid #2 in the America in five years.

Logik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke,

if alaneads is clueless, then he should be banned from posting in the proffesional appraisal forum. I also agree with you on the .us extension 3-5 years surpassing .biz extension.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Logik
Duke,

if alaneads is clueless, then he should be banned from posting in the proffesional appraisal forum. I also agree with you on the .us extension 3-5 years surpassing .biz extension.

I don't think he should be banned Logik. This place would get boring pretty quickly if there weren't opposing viewpoints. It doesn't take people long to figure out whether they should lend credence to what someone says or just ignore them.

Unless someone goes off on a profanity-riddled tirade I like to see them say whatever is on their mind. (Of course he doesn't say a lot so there doesn't appear to be much on his mind :) )

Logik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke,

can you give me your opinion and appraisal of inlineskating.us?

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not Duke, but I can't see much in this domain. There were only 5000 searches for it in sept. Compare this to bowling (130,000+ ) and badminton (26,000) and any other sport you want check it against.

If Inline Skating is ever a real sport in the Olympics.... then maybe. (But even then... you only have a few people that could use it, and they probably don't have much money. I had a domain a US Yacht racing team wanted and the most they could muster was $600, so I don't think inline skaters would do much.) I just don't see it.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is well worth having Logik. I don't know a lot about inline skating so I'm not the best person to give advice on this one. However 5,000 is a good OT number and more importantly it gets half a million in Google with quotes "inline skating" so it is definitely an activity of widespread interest among internet surfers. Also taken in all major extensions so someone wanting it has to go to the aftermarket.

My biggest reservation about a product like this is that the skates are so widely sold at mass market merchants it would be hard for you to compete on product sales. Certainly an informational site would be attractive to people who are into it but then revenues would have to come more from advertising. You have to build up a large amount of traffic to get anything from that. I would think a manufacturer would benefit most from the name (or a larger specialty retailer) but that is a relatively limited market of buyers for you.

Still due to the inherent interest in the name and activity it is worth holding onto while .US gains recognition.

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Skate.us, skating.us, skates.us, inline.us might develop into quite valuable names in time. But I don't know anybody who'd shell out big bucks for these now.

Even though its a good phrase or term, your domain is still a 2 word .us, the 2nd word being an undesirable gerund (.ing) and doesn't have any value and won't in the future IMO.

best regards

Logik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent opinions and appraisals! I think its at least worth the registration fee. I will store it in my portfolio for 5 years and maybe the right buyer will express interest. Thanks for the good feedback.

:D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Valid that there's no real money in it right now, but there is nothing undesirable about the "ing" ending for the second word - that is the correct tense for the sport of skating, just as it is for hunting, fishing, etc. Inline skates are the product, inline skating is the sport. The search numbers show there is a lot of interest in the sport so I think the name will have future value. Could certainly make a nice developed site with a name no one would confuse for something else.

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
well i know it depends on the word but the general rule sticks.

But i'd put skate.com way ahead of skating.com
buy.com way ahead of buying.com
inlineskates.us ahead of inlineskating.us, the latter 2 not having any value at all.
best regards

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently that's just you. There are nearly half a million MORE searches on Google for skating than for skate. Ice skating is the most popular televised sport in the world among females (it is not called ice skate)

Buy and buying or totally different words so you're comparing apples and oranges. Every word has to be considered on it's own merits.

I would also totally disagree that inlineskates.us and inlineskating have no value at all. They would appear to me to have very good investment value for a few years down the road. Sure skating would be better, so what? Because one form is great doesn't mean something else is no good. Hunting.com is a killer name, but deerhunting.com, duckhunting.com etc. are also very valuable.

I say all this as someone who has never put on a pair of inline skates. But the number of people seraching for information shows there is a great deal of interest there.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
being someone who was 16 not so long ago I like it... I used to do the 'extreme' inline skating on half pipes and handrails (though you may not think it to see me on dnfaces.com).

if you can get a deal with a supplier you could make some cash from selling the skates and the wheels etc. the skates cost a helluva lot if you are buying the ones made for extreme sports and the wheels wear away in just a month or two.

developed this name has a good potential but solely as a name it may be a while until .us picks up and you find a buyer.

Ciq

A

alaneads

sorry guys, but I'm not clueless. I've been around the domain game longer than most of you have been on the internet. I dont care what the "statistics" are. Anything thats not .com or .net will not be a major domain name. Name 1 website in the top 1000 that is anything besides .com .net .org .gov, or a country extension besides .us?

These new extensions will NEVER have the value of a .com. People will not, typein inlineskating.us. They will type in inlineskating.com. The value of inlineskating.us is $0 unless developed.

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
these comments are definitely worth thinking about, but haven't changed my opinion.

Maybe its a different way of expressing what makes a domain inherently valuable?

For example, what would you say the inherent value of a domain like yahoo.com is? I'd say close to nothing.

The domain is now valuable because of the brand and web site associated with it. This brand, web site and business would have been just as powerful if they had originally chosen another domain, say yipee.com

So now of course the market value of the yahoo.com domain is millions of times greater than that of yipee.com, but only because of the domain's association with a brand and business, not because of any inherent value to do with the domain itself.
I never typed in yipee.com in to a web browser until just now, and wouldn't have ever typed in yahoo.com if Jerry Yang had not happen to choose this domain for his business.

Google/Overture numbers: The translation to a domain is not that straightforward
I'd guess the google numbers on skate vs skating would be inversely proportional to the number of people who will type in skate.com or skates.com vs skating.com, just to see what is there, just as millions more people will type in buy.com vs buying.com

I'm sure you've typed in thousands of names like the above to check out the site. how many times do you try the ing version, just to see what's there? Hardly ever, I'll bet. when dealing with new extensions like .us, hardly ever reduces to 0.

In my opinion, 'a deal with a supplier' isn't going to be any easier to get because of this particular domain. The supplier would want to know about site content, your experience of skates etc. Having A domain is good, but you could of chosen from hundreds of other possible variations, which, in a crux, is why the domain is only worth the reg fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators