Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

(insert Movie Title)themovie.com Or (insert Movie Title)movie.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(insert movie title)themovie.com or (insert movie title)movie.com

What are your thoughts on domains of this format?

Domain Summit 2024

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've got a domain like this for a movie that's coming out next year, and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. You could do a fan site, a countdown site, or a news site that gives up to date information on whats going on with the movie productions.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts about selling either before or after developing a news site for a movie? (value, legality, etc.)

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts about selling either before or after developing a news site for a movie? (value, legality, etc.)

Well, I wanted to sell mine. I've been trying trying to reach Universal Studios. But trust me it's been difficult. A broker would be better at this sort of thing, but they don't even answer your emails anymore unless you've got the next 10 million dollar domain. Its sad.

I'll PM you and we can brainstorm.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to sell mine. I've been trying trying to reach Universal Studios. But trust me it's been difficult. A broker would be better at this sort of thing, but they don't even answer your emails anymore unless you've got the next 10 million dollar domain. Its sad.

I'll PM you and we can brainstorm.

Sounds good!

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These studios would have already grabbed the name they want, way before the movie is produced/released

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
100% chance that these movies are copyrighted and TM so any actual movie title in the domain will be a violation and potential WIPO or litigation.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These studios would have already grabbed the name they want, way before the movie is produced/released

What's to stop someone from grabbing it before the studios realize they want it? Many of the biggest movies start out as the most popular novels. The right to make the movie is sold long after the book is released, which is when the studios would buy the domain.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's to stop someone from grabbing it before the studios realize they want it? Many of the biggest movies start out as the most popular novels. The right to make the movie is sold long after the book is released, which is when the studios would buy the domain.
100% chance that these books/novels are copyrighted and TM so any actual book/novel title in the domain will be a violation and potential WIPO or litigation.

Why do you want to risk having to deal with that crap? You are attempted to profit off of someone else's intellectual property.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
100% chance that these movies are copyrighted and TM so any actual movie title in the domain will be a violation and potential WIPO or litigation.

Nameitbuyitsellit.com, who commented above, provided me with a very relevant article to that concern. PMing it to you, because it won't let me post a link.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No need to send me a link to something that supports your side of the argument. Perhaps contact a lawyer if in doubt. And I seriously doubt that taking this article to an arbitration board would sway an opinion in your favor.

And, of course, you are forgetting a couple of things...

trademarks are not free
trademarks may take several months to be reviewed
trademarks are publicly published for conflict interest

its a long road, can be expensive, and you may end up losing.

And, you are still attempting to profit off of someone else's work.

Chase Yetter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No need to send me a link to something that supports your side of the argument. Perhaps contact a lawyer if in doubt. And I seriously doubt that taking this article to an arbitration board would sway an opinion in your favor.

And, of course, you are forgetting a couple of things...

trademarks are not free
trademarks may take several months to be reviewed
trademarks are publicly published for conflict interest

its a long road, can be expensive, and you may end up losing.

And, you are still attempting to profit off of someone else's work.

I wasn't aware we were having an argument. I'm sorry if my reply came off that way. I only sent you the link because I thought you were interested in the subject as well.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not an argument. In court, it would be called an argument as you try to lay out your claim to the title.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It can only lead to trouble, why would you want to infringe and make money off someone else's company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom