• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale INVESTMENT.CA (opinions needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google search numbers for July in Canada

Broad Results (word is in search string):

investments $5.47 135,000

investment $4.03 673,000

Exact Results (the only word in search string):

investments $5.47 5,400

investment $4.03 12,100
 
Last edited:
Traffic stats would be a great way to value this domain. Revenue stats even better. Has the offerer even asked for this information ? Can you divulge the stats here ?

With minimal traffic the domain is hardpressed to be worth even mid xx,xxx as it would simply be a prestige name. Certainly not an easy typin. An end-user spending 100k on a domain will opt in the dot com area and perhaps choose their brand over a generic.

I think it's a fantastic .ca and if it were in my portfolio I'd refuse 50k minus and consider 50k plus. Again, traffic plays a large factor and would be my deciding factor. Does it earn enough to pay the reg fee's on all my domains ? does it earn enough to support development ventures ? Many factors, need more info.

In every subject/niche there are several generics to choose from which offer either traffic or prestige. Taking too long to close the deal with the potential buyer gives them more time to consider other domains. Sometimes they can have a few offers on the table for one project waiting on the first good one to close. Come to your "happy selling price" as soon as you can.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kevin.
 
Investimento.it
("investment" in Italian) sold for $19,995 in last week's DNJournal report, same term but in a different language/country code.

Italy's population is around 60 million, Canada is about 35 million. An english language .ca might get some US or other english traffic from search engines, whereas a .it would not. Otherwise I'm not sure how to compare the two countries in country code domain terms.
 
I think its an xxx, xxx domain. I will say that the offer was for 85k. Flowers appreciated over beer if i win, my liver needs a break.
 
I think Gordon is mad but I would pay $60K* for the domain itself. The plural form is more valuable and has traffic already.

As for all the people who say "oh the big companies can afford the cost" you are forgetting that they already have a BRAND and they use that brand. The folks that would want to own generics in Canada would spend the money on specific lines, like RSP, RESP and so on, and then down the list, investments.ca way before going to investment.ca itself.

* Show me the numbers!
 
I'd take the singular over the plural.

Also, there are many examples of big companies owning generic .com's, like baby.com, loans.com, etc. Owning the generic makes you look like the leader in the field to many people. For a Canadian company involved in the investment world, owning Investment.ca makes them look good, gets them targetted traffic, and keeps another company from acquiring it and using it.

Look at Jobs.ca, acquired by a domain media company that will now start a Canadian jobs site. If Monster had bought it, they would have got all the traffic, plus kept out a competitor.

Having that generic domain just puts more wind in your sails.
 
That is a bit misleading - Shaun already had hundreds of ---jobs.ca type domains and would be simply amalgamating the traffic. There is a huge gap between a job site and making money with a job site.

I'd take the singular over the plural.

Also, there are many examples of big companies owning generic .com's, like baby.com, loans.com, etc. Owning the generic makes you look like the leader in the field to many people. For a Canadian company involved in the investment world, owning Investment.ca makes them look good, gets them targetted traffic, and keeps another company from acquiring it and using it.

Look at Jobs.ca, acquired by a domain media company that will now start a Canadian jobs site. If Monster had bought it, they would have got all the traffic, plus kept out a competitor.

Having that generic domain just puts more wind in your sails.
 
The buyers of jobs.ca said that one of the factors of the price they paid was the traffic that one domain had. I don't think they said exactly how much traffic it got, but just that it was significant.
 
.ca's aren't big on traffic, I doubt there is more than a few visits per day.


Very incorrect statement. Generic .ca's get lots of traffic.


hugegrowth said:
The buyers of jobs.ca said that one of the factors of the price they paid was the traffic that one domain had. I don't think they said exactly how much traffic it got, but just that it was significant.

Investments.ca would get much more traffic than Investment.ca.

When people type the term Investment...they are actually still trying to figure out what to invest in. The term that would receive a lot of traffic is actually Investments.ca.

If you believe investment.ca is the better term. Then i encourage you to buy stock vs stocks!


Now...is all the hype over yet? Where is the info regarding this supposed high $xx,xxx offer? Even someone as smart as domainatrix wouldn't talk about this publicly if she had such an offer!:undecided:
 
Very incorrect statement. Generic .ca's get lots of traffic.

Samer, I don't just make statements for the sake of it.. :)
it's based on personal experience and research. I have a few top generics and have information on a many others, from what I've seen they rarely bring significant traffic and revenue. Of course I'd be happy to know otherwise, if you have some interesting stats..
 
Michael,

I will agree with you regarding the revenue. There is practically none. But the traffic is there. Lots of canadians seem to visit...not many clicking though ;)
 
Seems there were a few questions in the past few days, unfortunately I don't personally own the domain, so I am not able to answer too many of your questions. If I did own it, I would definitely sell as I could use a new car (and kitchen reno). The current offer is roughly $72K, but the buyer wants to pay over a three year period, and the owner is not too interested. The real problem is our client owns investment.ca, savings.ca and rrsp.ca, and would prefer to sell these as a group to an end-user for $xxx,xxx. We were trying to get some feedback here, and I am at liberty to use the forum to discuss potential sales that do not come with a non-disclosure. Unfortunately, some of your feedback about finding the right buyer resonates, and since there is no desperation, the owner will likely hold out for either a higher offer, or a more suitable buyer.
 
Sorry, did I give the impression that I owned the domain myself? I don't own any domains!
 
You do know that according to the rules you can't ask for appraisal of domains you don't own?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom