Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld INVESTMENT.CA (opinions needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given that banks.ca sold for $41,000 recently, I am looking for valuation opinions for INVESTMENT.CA. A private offer has come in for this domain. All I can share at the moment is that it is $xx,xxx.

All valuation opinions are welcome. If a sale does transpire, we will share the details, and send a bouquet of flowers (or case of beer?:lol:) to the individual who comes closest to the sale price in their valuation estimate.

If anyone out there wants to get into a bidding war, that is welcome too!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's definitely in the ballpark of savings and banks, and might even be better than those. So based on those sales I'll say 45k.

'banks' is pretty general, most people use one bank and that's it, so personally I never need to look up info on banks. 'savings' are gics, savings accounts, kind of low ticket items in the banking world. 'investment' gets into the area of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, reits, rsp, rif, resp - so that's why I'd think it would be more valuable.

I also think this domain would look nice in advertising for a mutual fund company or bank. Great name for a portal website about all types of possible investments.

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the plural is better ...so i'd say it is 20K max

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't believe i'm saying this but, I wouldn't sell the domain. I could guess you are getting an offer in the low 40k's. I would probably hold on to it for another 2/3 yrs, I think it is an xxx,xxx domain.

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would hold the domain as well. The net will only grow. Exceptional domains are getting harder and harder to find.

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hey, I think you are OK with 30-50k.
I bought a few weeks ago credito.it for 50k Euro.
I think this investment is worth each cent.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think we are beginning to stretch it now...

I am assuming we appraise names based on reseller value...not end user value since that is practically impossible.

You can't sit here and tell me this name is worth $xxx,xxx reseller.

We are appraising this name today....not tomorrow...not 10 years from now.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
25k - 30k
Much more in future.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see it as at least a 50K name, I think it's better than banks.ca.
Agreed. I think this name should be in the high $$,$$$/low $$$,$$$ range. But I'm not in your shoes :)
Do you have information about the buyer ?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think we are beginning to stretch it now...

I am assuming we appraise names based on reseller value...not end user value since that is practically impossible.

You can't sit here and tell me this name is worth $xxx,xxx reseller.

We are appraising this name today....not tomorrow...not 10 years from now.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the reseller. The value of names like this is to the enduser. However there are ample sales in the 50K, 100K+ ranges to justify $xxx,xxx. You just want it all for nothing :smilewinkgrin:

One of the hardest parts of learning to sell is to know WHEN YOU REALLY DON"T HAVE "THE RIGHT BUYER" IN FRONT OF YOU!

You have a buyer. They're waving money in front of you. You probably need it.

And the hardest thing in the world is to say. You're not "THE RIGHT BUYER".

When I say $xxx,xxx I compare it to jobs @ $600,000. And don't sell until you see that kind of buyer sitting in front of you. And after 25 years as an investment advisor I can tell you that $600k in the industry is nothing!!

There is a wave coming in the cctlds. Believe it. Get ready to sell into it. Stock up at todays prices in anticipation of it.

But most of all mark off a "core" part of your portfolio that you won't sell until you have "THE RIGHT BUYER".

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
DropWizard...if you want to talk about end user appraisals/sales...Let's talk about them.

Investment.com - parked
Investments.com - parked
Investments.net - parked

Yet somehow you think that TODAY..you can get $xxx,xxx for investment.ca ???
Let me tell you...when the .com isn't developed ...the end user isn't going to come and pay that much for a ccTLD extension. I don't think so...keep pumping it up as much as you want....

and please do not compare jobs.ca with investment.ca ...i don't think so!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the hardest parts of learning to sell is to know WHEN YOU REALLY DON"T HAVE "THE RIGHT BUYER" IN FRONT OF YOU!

You have a buyer. They're waving money in front of you. You probably need it.

And the hardest thing in the world is to say. You're not "THE RIGHT BUYER".

There is a wave coming in the cctlds. Believe it. Get ready to sell into it. Stock up at todays prices in anticipation of it.

But most of all mark off a "core" part of your portfolio that you won't sell until you have "THE RIGHT BUYER".

I think there is some great advice in there...

I can group my domains into three categories, when thinking of sales:

1) domains I'd sell in the $100 range to help pay for renewals on others

2) domains I'd like to get a decent return on, in the $500 to $1500 range

3) domains I prefer to keep to sell to end users, or motivated resellers

Ofcourse I'd prefer to sell none and develop them all, but the reality is many of us need to continually buy/sell to keep a balance in a portfolio, until you get to a point where you don't need to sell any.

As for Investment.ca, $xxx,xxx is not much money to the type of companies that would benefit from such a domain. Banks and mutual funds have hundreds of millions of dollars in quarterly profits, would a $100,000 or $200,000 domain purchase really show up on their bottom line? I can see those types of sales when businesses start to "get it".

Last edited:

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions, advice and assessments; please keep it coming as I'd like as wide a variety as possible.

I understand "theinvestor's" point about resell valuation being much lower than enduser valuation. Incidentally, one of the domains you mentioned above "investment.com" was sold to a reseller last year for $900,000, so what is the enduser value on that?

In any case, the offer submitted for "investment.ca" seems to be from a reseller, or they may represent an enduser; not sure at this point, but we don't recognize them as a domainer by name.

BTW, no one has even come within $10K of the offer.

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess we are talking upper xx,xxx then? If so, it's a decent offer IMO, based on comparable .ca sales in the past year. Jobs.ca only sold so high because of the traffic it had. But like others have said, domains like that will be worth more in 1, 2, 3 years from now - so do you wait or sell now? Also, the first offer is usually never the most a buyer is willing to pay.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DropWizard...if you want to talk about end user appraisals/sales...Let's talk about them.

Investment.com - parked
Investments.com - parked
Investments.net - parked

Yet somehow you think that TODAY..you can get $xxx,xxx for investment.ca ???
Let me tell you...when the .com isn't developed ...the end user isn't going to come and pay that much for a ccTLD extension. I don't think so...keep pumping it up as much as you want....

and please do not compare jobs.ca with investment.ca ...i don't think so!

I'm not quite sure why you think the fact they are parked is relevant to their value. Or lack of it? It just means domainers got them first and most of them are pretty lazy about developing cause most of them wait for............(get this) "THE RIGHT BUYER".

But let's talk about the value of investment.ca

Google shows an average of 13.6 MILLION searches every month for the term investment. I usually use a ratio of about 1/10 to reflect the population differences but to make a point I'll use 1/100. That means 136,000 searches were done in Canada. The average PPC was $3.25 meaning the cost to the advertisers $4,420,000 per month. Now google gives canadian (.ca) domains precedence in search engine results and if someone could push this up to #1 spot why it would take 90% of the traffic. Without paying a cent. But hey to prove a point I'll go with 10% of the traffic only.

13,600 visitors when you save $3.25/click=$44,200 saved each and every month ad infinitum. That by the way is a cool $530,000 a year saved on advertising costs.

And that's without penetrating other relevant keywords with the term.

That's without typeins.

That's without the memorability factor a prime generic domain brings to your advertising.

Now you talk to a large financial corp in those terms and they'll be writing that $xxx,xxx cheque faster than you can say yes!

As Rick (domain king) says the only difference between small buyers and large buyers is the size of the "squeal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators