Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Japan hit by 8.9 quake, numerous tsunamis

Status
Not open for further replies.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wikileaks cables show Japan had been warned that the nuclear power plants were vulnerable to major earthquakes:

Telegraph.co.uk said:
Japan earthquake: Japan warned over nuclear plants, WikiLeaks cables show

Japan was warned more than two years ago by the international nuclear watchdog that its nuclear power plants were not capable of withstanding powerful earthquakes, leaked diplomatic cables reveal.

By Steven Swinford, and Christopher Hope 9:30PM GMT 15 Mar 2011

An official from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in December 2008 that safety rules were out of date and strong earthquakes would pose a "serious problem" for nuclear power stations.
The Japanese government pledged to upgrade safety at all of its nuclear plants, but will now face inevitable questions over whether it did enough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ver-nuclear-plants-WikiLeaks-cables-show.html

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the BBC Twitter feed: Kyodo reports that the US military is to fly an unmanned plane over Fukushima, equipped with infrared sensors, to give an aerial view of what is going on.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the BBC Twitter feed: Kyodo reports that the US military is to fly an unmanned plane over Fukushima, equipped with infrared sensors, to give an aerial view of what is going on.
Excellent strategy and surprised it has not done so already.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

CNN is reporting that the US Embassy in Japan has asked that US Citizens observe an 80km (50 mile) exclusion zone from the disabled Nuclear Site.

Conflicting US accounts and Japanese ministry accounts of the events along with their "official" statements are going to start clashing and head butting.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To give you an idea of the severity this now in from BBC Twitter feed:

"I don't know any other way to say it, but this is like suicide fighters in a war." That's how Keiichi Nakagawa, associate professor of the Department of Radiology at the University of Tokyo Hospital, described the 180 workers battling flames at Fukushima.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since the announcement (whether it is true, factual, etc.), the DOW is in a freefall. Down 270 points last time I looked.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

To give you an idea of the severity this now in from BBC Twitter feed:
Might as well add them to the death toll with notation.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The White House is opening a live feed for Q&A with EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. It has not started yet but is suppose to start soon:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

-----------------------

From the BBC Twitter Feed the IAEA is sending two experts to Japan today:

Yukiya Amano, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has said he plans to fly to Japan on Thursday to get further information about the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The BBC's Kerry Skyring says Mr Edano is under pressure to demonstrate his agency is informed and able to communicate a clear picture of what is happening. "At daily press briefings he has been unable to explain why the information provided is so sketchy. As well as flying to Japan to what he says are high level meetings he is creating two teams who will also go there, one with expertise in nuclear safety, the other in radiation protection," our correspondent adds. Asked if the situation at Fukushima was now out of control, Mr Edano said: "It is very serious. The government and operators are doing everything they can. I hope their efforts will be successful."

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its being reported that the earthquake moved the Korean peninsula (yes, Korean) 2 inches (5cm) to the east. So I guess the entire Japanese island moved up to 8 feet. I wonder how much "thinner" the Earth is now from it?

I still find it amazing of no reports of looting or lawlessness. Even after a small event like hurricane Wilma (yes, I know south Florida people, I was in it too and it didn't seem "small" to me either, I just mean in comparison to events like this, Katrina, the 2010 Haiti earthquake) you had some looting, price gouging, and even close to lawlessness.

People in Japan are patiently waiting in line for supplies (or relatively speaking), communities are banding together to try to recover and rebuild, none of the "I'm (or my family) the only one affected" attitude we see so often in other parts of the world.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I guess the entire Japanese island moved up to 8 feet.
When you say moved up, are you implying the island RAISED UP 8 feet?

I am seeing reports of 300 miles of Japan coast literally moved 8 feet into the Pacific.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the BBC again:

The IAEA has released information about the temperature of the water in the spent fuel storage pools inside reactors 4, 5 and 6 at Fukushima Daiichi. Spent fuel that has been removed from a nuclear reactor generates intense heat and the water is usually kept below 25C. The IAEA says that the temperature of the pool at reactor 4 was 84C on Tuesday morning. On Wednesday morning, it was 62.7C at reactor 5 and 60C at reactor 6. Current reports say the pools at both reactors 3 and 4 are boiling. Reactor 4's pool may even be dry.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you say moved up, are you implying the island RAISED UP 8 feet?

I am seeing reports of 300 miles of Japan coast literally moved 8 feet into the Pacific.

Yes, up to 8 feet to the east. The while island (well, chain if you want to get technical). the areas closest moved the most.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Saw Anderson Cooper and Dr Sanjay Gupta. Dr. Gupta was especially out of character - he was pissed! He said the Japanese Government and utility company have UNDERSTATED a THOUSAND FOLD the amount of radiation that is harmful. The measurement is actually millisieverts, key word being MILLI as in, thousand. The exposure should be reported in milliserverts (thousanths per particles) and they have under reported the exposure by a factor of 1,000.

---------- Post added 03-17-2011 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-16-2011 at 10:58 PM ----------

Breaking News: State Department says bringing in chartered aircraft to Tokyo to help Americans exit Japan
http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

Last edited:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quebec, Canada had a minor earthquake - 4.6 magnitude yesterday around 1:30pm. Lasted 10 seconds.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quebec, Canada had a minor earthquake - 4.6 magnitude yesterday around 1:30pm. Lasted 10 seconds.
Had not heard that.

I was in close to the epicenter of a 6.5 in Italy that lasted 56 seconds. I was terrified. I had no idea what was going on or what had just happened. Nearly a thousand people killed.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

They had a demineralized water leak at a nuclear reactor today in Canada as well. They say it isn't suppose to be a risk for humans:

Officials say water leak from Canadian nuclear station into Lake Ontario poses no safety risk
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS First Posted: March 16, 2011 - 5:24 pm

TORONTO — Canada's nuclear regulator says a leak at a power plant in Ontario caused more than 19,200 gallons (73,000 liters) of demineralized water to be released into Lake Ontario, but there is no significant risks to public health.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission said Wednesday that the water was released from the Ontario Power Generation plant in Pickering, Ontario, around 11:30 p.m. Monday. The agency says the leak was caused by pump seal failure.

Ontario Power Generation says the leak was stopped immediately and the pump seal is being replaced.

The plant says the filtered water contained trace amounts of tritium — far below any regulatory limits — and should have no impact on the quality of the drinking water, som

http://www.therepublic.com/view/sto...e5e35993/CN--Canada-Nuclear-Plant-Water-Leak/

---------- Post added 03-17-2011 at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-16-2011 at 11:38 PM ----------

Heart breaking video of a camera crew that has gone into Fukushima's exclusion zone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12765859

This should underscore the magnitude of the nuclear crisis that is unfolding. May those brave people in the army, police, and nuclear plant employees succeed in preventing the unspeakable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators