Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Japan hit by 8.9 quake, numerous tsunamis

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Top 5 worst Tsunami's to date:

1. 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami
On Dec. 26, 2004, a 9.2-magnitude earthquake struck the west coast of Indonesia, generating a series of tsunamis leading to casualties in at least 14 countries with waves over 100 feet high.

Death toll: 230,000

2. 1908 Messina Tsunami
The Messina earthquake and the tsunami's 40-foot waves struck southern Italy on Dec. 28, 1908, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in European history.

Death toll: 123,000

3. 1755 Lisbon Tsunami
On All Saints Day 1755, the Portuguese city of Lisbon faced three earthquakes in a mere 10 minutes, leading to several tsunami waves nearly 100 feet high.

Death toll: 100,000 to 200,000

4. 1883 Krakatoa Tsunami
The May 1883, the eruption of Indonesia's Krakatoa volcano destroyed two-thirds of the island nation and created 130-foot-high waves.

Death toll: 36,000

5. 1707 Hoei Tsunami
One of the many tsunamis in Japan's history, the Oct. 28, 1707, disaster was triggered by an 8.6-magnitude earthquake and has been studied in connection to the subsequent Fuji Volcano eruptions.

Death toll: 30,000

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.. and we humans think we're so powerful. Sometimes Mother Nature needs to send us a reminder that we are not.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

RustyK

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's a code that you can add to your website in <body> and you may change the http://goo.gl/RMVqj to what charity you want but I chose the list at Google instead.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.hellobar.com/hellobar.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
new HelloBar(1,9126);
// --></script>
</p>
<noscript>Help The Victims of the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan by Spreading Awareness and Aid. Visit http://goo.gl/RMVqj to donate. </noscript>

Have a great weekend. :)

RustyK

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's so wrong how this disaster is playing out itself. First the Earthquake then Tsunami and now a Nuclear Disaster?. I guess only God knows why.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1 tsunami related death in the US - the guy stood on a sandbar to take pictures of it coming in.
Yeah, read about that yesterday. There was actually three guys. Two made it safely to shore (perhaps had a change of heart) and bolted before it came in. The other was swept out, presumed dead, search called off.

Pure stupidity.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We haven't had many Tsunami's in the last hundred years now we have had 2 in the last 7, what are we doing wrong to our planet?

Must be something.

-=DCG=-

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know, with the earth shifting axis (huge shift with the Haiti earthquake - now this one) the growing belt and seasons are apt to literally change. Eventually, what has been known as the bread belt or agricultural base may eventually shift, along with the global climate changes. There is quite a debate on "global warming" but I think there really is no debate on "climate change" - it is happening and I am sure every one of us has noticed this in their own locale.

The news of Japan shift and literally moving 8 feet from where it was the other day - that is simply mind boggling. I've heard this news, but not sure where the shift occurred - being an island, any shift in any direction is going to affect its coast line. Did it move it further out to sea (shift eastward)? Or towards the Asian continent?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reports I've read said that the coast moved 8 feet - I think the way that plate is moving is it going towards mainland Asia. I don't think the entire island moved but pushed the mountains upward.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm reading conflicting reports that the one in California wasn't that bad but others are saying it's a disaster. Which is it?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The tsunami in California? There were some marinas that were heavily damaged / destroyed but it was localized - nothing widespread. The one person killed was standing on a sandbar in the place where the tsunami was the worst (8 feet).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CNN has just announced that a MELT DOWN is underway at the damaged Nuclear Reactor.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

The announcement was read live over the air as it came across the news wire from the Japanese Ministry.

This will result in an uncontrolled release of radiation into the atmosphere.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CNN has just announced that a MELT DOWN is underway at the damaged Nuclear Reactor.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

The announcement was read live over the air as it came across the news wire from the Japanese Ministry.

This will result in an uncontrolled release of radiation into the atmosphere.

Ya, I'm watching this too. Not good. Let's hope and pray they find away to stop this before a meltdown occurs.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is the Japanese Ambassador denying this? People had publicly said that they did not think the Japanese government were being forthright with the information. This suspicion was raised as they kept widening the evacuation zone to now a 20km radius.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just noticed - it was a megathrust earthquake (animation: http://windupradio.com/earthquakes/mega.htm), like the one that happened in the Indian Ocean back in 2004. The Pacific plate is going underneath the Asian plate. Of course, some of the Asian plate will "stick" to part of the Pacific plate and get pulled under and when the tension rises, it thrusts back out. Most likely it made the Japanese coast move 8 towards the Pacific.

Here is what USGS has for their shake map:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/global/shake/c0001xgp/

The square is where the earthquake happened, it wasn't just one epicenter. It was an entire line as hundreds of miles of plate thrusted out (some estimates put the quake at a 9.0).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most likely it made the Japanese coast move 8 towards the Pacific.
Exactly. And NASA photos and positioning seems to confirm this.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Japan's network of 1,200 GPS monitoring stations, operated by the Geographical Survey Institute, shows a maximum springing-out effect of 13 feet (4 meters), with an average displacement of about 8 feet (2.5 meters) along a stretch measuring more than 300 miles (500 kilometers).

Everything that links GPS readings to maps, ranging from driving directions to property records, will have to be changed as a result of the shift, Hudnut told me. "Their national network for property boundary definitions has been warped," he said in an e-mail. "For ships, the nautical charts will need revision due to changed water depths, too (of about 3 feet). Much of the coastline dropped by a few feet, too, we gather."

Source

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Imagine this: No matter what you are doing or where you are at right at this very second, suddenly you are 8 feet away and you physically did not move or propel yourself.

It's like where I am at right now, in my office, suddenly I am in the hall way or in another room 8 feet away from where I am sitting...and I did not move.

Freaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators