Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Join in thanking members who offer advice on general legal questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No kind deed should go unnoticed. I would like to thank the attorney's who offer advice on general legal matters without getting contractually involved.

Mr. Berryhill is one person who I've noticed that has been very generous with his time, and would like to extend a special thanks.

Domain Summit 2024

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Their knowledge is a very valuable asset to this forum.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am in Jersey and I heard that bullet scream right over head.

(I'm heading for the bunker)
LOL

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hal,

Any complaints about a Pennsylvania lawyer should be directed to:

Paul J. Killion
Chief Disciplinary Counsel
Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
501 Grant Street, Suite 400
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: (412) 565-3173
Fax: (412) 565-7620

I am perfectly aware that you claim there is something erroneous about that WIPO decision. You can claim that your eyes are blue if you would like. They might be, they might not be. Unlike the posted WIPO decision, I have seen neither your eyes nor a variety of documents which you claim to have in your possession.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am perfectly aware that you claim there is something erroneous about that WIPO decision.

IT WAS CLEARLY ERRONEOUS FOR NUMEROUS REASONS INCLUDING THAT THE COMPLAINANT HIRED A FELLOW WIPO ARBITRATOR AS THEIR COUNSEL, VOIDING THE PROMISED 'NEUTRAL FORUM' GUARANTEED BY WIPO. IT WAS SO ERRONEOUS THAT WE WERE PREPARING TO LITIGATE IT, BUT WE SETTLED WITH THE CONDITION THAT THE UDRP BE WITHDRAWN.

You can claim that your eyes are blue if you would like.

SLATE BLUE, ACTUALLY.

They might be, they might not be.

IT IS A FACT. TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

Unlike the posted WIPO decision, I have seen neither your eyes nor a variety of documents which you claim to have in your possession.

THERE IS ONLY ONE DOCUMENT, A LETTER OF WITHDRAWAL FROM THE COMPLAINANT'S ATTORNEY WHICH YOU WERE TOLD ABOUT BY ME. DO I NEED TO FAX IT TO YOU?

FUNNY THAT MY WORD IS BETTER THAT YOURS.

YOU ARE 'AN OFFICER OF THE COURT,' REMEMBER THAT JOHN? IT MEANS YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A LEVEL OF DIGNITY AND PROFESSIONALISM ABOVE US COMMONERS. SHOW IT!

DO *YOU* WANT TO BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE IN THE ABSENCE OF BASIS FOR BEING DOUBTED? OF COURSE YOU DO, AND SO DO OTHERS INCLUDING THE COWBOY ON HIS HIGH HORSE.

WHILE WE ARE SWAPPING DOCUMENTS, PLEASE FAX ME ALL YOUR CREDENTIALS, INCLUDING ALL DIPLOMAS. CAN YOU PROVE YOU ARE A LAWYER? DO YOU WANT MY SHEEPSKIN FROM BROWN U TOO?

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LewR
Wow, I am in Jersey and I heard that bullet scream right over head.

(I'm heading for the bunker)
LOL

:laugh:

I'm in Jersey, a few miles from Mr. Berryhill and I heard that fly by as well. I'm moving to higher ground to watch the fireworks.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainOgre
LOL, all this in an appreciation thread?

There are classy people, then there is DotComCowboy.

He/She is probably a well-intentioned person (a.k.a cybersquatting thread), but can get off track as you can see.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
John

You're in good company because Hal doesn't seem to get along with ANY attorney. He's obviously smarter than all of us. I guess he just missed his calling. He'd rather be an obnoxious cybersquatter.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cheers Howard, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Hal, if you have a legal gripe, you were given the proper place to file that complaint. I am curious, do you go to the doctor and tell him how he should do his job? I can just picture you at the dentist as well....LOL

This thread started as an appreciation thread - to which I will add my kudos as well. Many folks do not realize the resouces they have access to here.

Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

Lew Richards (LewR)

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John

You're in good company because Hal doesn't seem to get along with ANY attorney. He's obviously smarter than all of us. I guess he just missed his calling. He'd rather be an obnoxious cybersquatter.

I guess Dr. Berryhill is not the only attorney who enjoys a good defamation.

It's even less excuseable since Attorney Neu once represented me. The key word is ONCE.

In my opinion attorney Neu is even less professional than attorney Berryhill.

For all his immaturity, at least John Berryhill has a PhD and is a patent attorney and some demonstrated technical proficiency.

Attorney Neu has billed himself as "the internet attorney" but one must question his real technical qualifications.

And one must always be wary when an attorney turns on a client.

John Zuccarini has a history with Attorney Neu also.

Guys, my personal opinion is don't hire either of these clowns --Berryhill or Neu-- but if you are going to hire one, I give the former a slight edge.

My suggestion: hire a real, mature, professional attorney such as: Ari Goldberger, Steve Sturgeon, Charles Carreon, etc..

Avoid unprofessional and immature lawyers who don't have anything better to do than be jerks.

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hal,

I don't know the facts about your specific case(s) so I am going to move past specifics that you have posted here. As John has suggested, if you have a gripe, there is a recourse (Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania) available to you.

I have not had a need/opportunity to work with either of these two gentlemen. However, after having read through some of their posts here, I must say I am very impresssed with what they have been contributing to this forum.

I have found their contributions here to be a class-act, and I join others here at DNF in applauding them for the same.

A forum is what the members make of it. Credit must be given to those that try to make it better. I tip my hat to both of these fine contributors to the DNF Legal Issues related forum.

John, Howard, Keep up the good work, please!

SlashRoot.Com

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
Join in thanking members who offer advice on general legal questions

Thanks for posting this izopod, and thanks to all those who have been offering their expertise.

DotLeader

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by HOWARD
John

:clown:
i can see why
with all the cases against him

anyway i appreciate what you lawyers do here, and im sure everyone else does too

D

Deleted member 4749

With all those cases agains DotComCloun, he patrols other domainsers' portfolios and protests againast cybersquatting.
Spechless...

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hal,

I do not doubt that you have in your possession a completely worthless and irrelevant letter that was sent to you by an attorney who could probably barely contain his laughter when he sent it to you. As I understand your position, you believe that this letter somehow "nullifies" the WIPO decision or renders it to be "withdrawn". Because I like you, I will take the time to explain why he was laughing. I will conclude by explaining why I like you.

A decision rendered by a legal authority is only nullified by that authority, or by one in a position of higher authority. The WIPO rules state that a decision can be withdrawn by the panel, or else rendered ineffective by a court decision. After the WIPO decision was issued by the panel, you and the complainant did not have the power to change the decision, absent following the procedure prescribed for doing so. That's a central principle of the idea that parties to a dispute having recourse to submitting their dispute to an adjudicatory authority in the first place.

Let me make that clear by an example.

Take Norma Jean McCorvey. She was the "Jane Roe" plaintiff in the Supreme Court's _Roe v. Wade_ decision declaring that a categorical ban on abortion was an impermissible invasion of medical privacy. Wade was the attorney general of the State of Texas. Through a quirk of American Constitutional Law, when you bring a suit to challenge a law, the case is officially brought against the person responsible for enforcement of the law.

Since that 1973 decision, Ms. McCorvey has changed her views on the issue of abortion, although of course she never actually had an abortion because the litigation lasted longer than her pregnancy. In a bit of political theater earlier this year, Ms. McCorvey has filed a petition with a Texas federal court to have her case nullified, because she has changed her mind:

http://www.ifa-usapray.org/OnWatch/OnWatch2003Archive/onwatch-June_18_2003.asp

Now, and here is the part I want you to understand - It wouldn't matter one iota to the decision in _Roe v. Wade_ if she sends a letter to Wade agreeing to "nullify" or "withdraw" her complaint, her petition to the Supreme Court, and every document filed in that case. The case ended when the decision was issued. What either of the parties says to the other after the decision was issued is utterly without any legal significance whatsoever concerning that opinion.

Take a simpler example, if the message is still not getting through. Let's say that you and I have a car accident. You then sue me for running a red light, you win, and the judge finds me negligent and awards you $50,000. The next day, I come to you and say, "I'd like to appeal this thing, but how about if we make a deal instead. You have your lawyer send me a letter saying I didn't run the red light and I'll give you $50,000."

Do you take that deal? Of course you do. You are going to get the exact amount awarded to you. What do you care?

Now, the next year, my insurance company raises my rate because I was found by a court to be negligent. I protest and send them the letter saying, "But, look here, the other guy's lawyer sent me a letter saying I didn't run the red light - the judgment is nullified!"

I can assure you that the insurance company will be, at best, amused. The only thing that would nullify the decision would be that of the same court on a motion for reconsideration, or a higher court.

So, please, spare my fax machine with the pointless and legally meaningless letter that was fobbed off onto you by the complainant's attorney. It was quite enough to be harangued by you at length on the telephone at my office.

The WIPO decision which I cited is not a "withdrawn" decision. It is not an overturned decision. It is not a decision which has in any way been rendered inoperative or without legal effect by the fact of your possession of a letter from a party who was not at that time capable - after the decision was rendered - of withdrawing the decision. Your statement that the WIPO decision is "withdrawn" is factually incorrect. It is, of course, not a deliberate falsehood, because you have clearly demonstrated that you do not understand your statement to be incorrect.

However, in a profession which often must deal with gray issues, the principle that only an issuing authority or a higher authority may withdraw one of its decisions is a "bright line", fundamental concept of law. It is the basis for the entire notion of submitting a dispute to an authority of any kind.

In fact, I refer your attention to this decision:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/dbiz2002-00270.html

"Finally, as a matter of unique interest, Complainant and Respondent requested that the Panel’s determination not be published.
[...]
Complainant did not provide grounds for its request, nor did Respondent provide any reason for its concurrence. Although the Panel has authority to redact portions of a decision under the STOP in an exceptional case, the Panel sees no reason to redact any portion of this one. The request by Complainant is denied. This decision shall be published in its entirety. "

That was a STOP decision, which has similar publication rules to the UDRP. The Panelist in that case fully grasped the point I am making here, and which still has not gotten through to you. BOTH parties wanted to withdraw the proceeding after the decision was rendered. It didn't matter. It matters even less in the situation you describe where no such request was even communicated to the Panel.

Finally, let's take a look at *why* I even bothered to cite that WIPO decision, shall we?

In the course of condemning other people, you asked, in reference to the bhf.org decision:

"If I were in the wrong --how come I won the arbitration?"

Well, gee, Hal. The decision I cited contains a passage which specifically refers to the bhf.org decision, and specifically explains why you WON the bhf.org case. Are you saying, because this later case is "withdrawn" in your mind, that their observation that you WON the bhf.org case is also wrong? Does this letter of yours proclaim some sort of universal "opposite day" in which there is no factual or legal statement in the later decision which is true? Because the ndcs.org case has been rendered a nullity, do we then go back and reverse the bhf.org case because the ndcs.org panel AGREED WITH THE RESULT OF THE CASE YOU WON IN THE PASSAGE I QUOTED?

So, anyone still reading, that is the "erroneous information" that I am accused of posting - a passage from a WIPO decision that expressly noted that Hal had won a prior UDRP case. Hal considers it damaging to his reputation that two WIPO panels agreed on the point in question - that Hal had done nothing wrong relative to the bhf.org domain name - which was the question Hal had asked.

And, Hal, I'll also explain the reason why I like you so much. I am sure you are too modest to tell the folks in this forum the remarkable story behind Stanley Kubrick's decision to cast you as yourself in his epic production of _2001_, and for which I have been a longtime fan of yours:

---

Hal. Good afternoon, Mr Amer. Everything is going extremely well.

Amer. Hal, you have an enormous responsibility on this mission, in many ways perhaps the greatest responsibility of any single mission element. You are the brain and central nervous system of the ship, and your responsibilities include watching over the men in hibernation. Does this ever cause you any - lack of confidence?

Hal. Let me put it this way, Mr Amer. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Amer. Hal, despite your enormous intellect, are you ever frustrated by your dependence on people to carry out actions?

Hal. Not in the slightest bit. I enjoy working with people. I have a stimulating relationship with Dr Poole and Dr Bowman. My mission responsibilities range over the entire operation of the ship, so I am constantly occupied. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all, I think, that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Amer. Dr Poole, what's it like living for the better part of a year in such close proximity with Hal?

Poole. Well, it's pretty close to what you said about him earlier, he is just like a sixth member of the crew - very quickly get adjusted to the idea that he talks, and you think of him - uh -really just as another person.

Amer. In talking to the computer, one gets the sense that he is capable of emotional responses, for example when I asked him about his abilities, I sensed a certain pride in his answer about his accuracy and perfection. Do you believe that Hal has genuine emotions?

Bowman. Well, he acts like he has genuine emotions. Er - of course, he's programmed that way, to make it easier for us to talk to him, but as to whether or not he has real feelings is something I don't think anyone can truthfully answer.

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stunning.

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course, the fascinating, flaw-less HAL 9000:

Here is yet another remarkable exchanges:

Hal. Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?...Dave... I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question...I know everything hasn't been quite right with me, but I can assure you now, very confidently, that it's going to be alright again...I feel much better now, I really do...Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this...I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over...I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal...I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission, and I want to help you...Dave...stop...stop, will you...stop, Dave...will you stop, Dave...stop, Dave...I'm afraid...I'm afraid, Dave...Dave...my mind is going...I can feel it...I can feel it...my mind is going...there is no question about it...I can feel it...I can feel it...I can feel it...(slows down) I'm afraid...Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois, on the 12th January 1992. My instructor was Mr Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it, I can sing it for you.

Dave. Yes, I'd like to hear it, Hal. Sing it for me.

Hal. It's called...Daisy. (Slowing and deepening into silence) Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy, all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage, but you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two...

Floyd. Good day, gentlemen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators