Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Joomla setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's one or the other.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, thank you.

I think I'll Joomla a try with one of the communities I'm trying to build up.

Any suggestions?

Edit; suggestions as add ons, templates, etc..?

Last edited:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with MegaNerd, but you can definitely use both. There is a Joomla bridge extension for Wordpress, and without that you could use a wrapper, or special extension which I discussed in another thread. Moreover, if you don't want to use them together you can put Joomla say at the core, i.e, MyWebsite.Com, and Wirdpress say at MyWebSite.Com/blogs; and you could switch this around.

accomatic

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Joomla has two main branches, the 1.0.x and 1.5.x; the first one is legacy branch that has a lot of addons, themes, etc.; the new 1.5.x has fewer choices.

Joomla is easy to use for non-developer. However, it is rather limited platform compared to competitors (WP and Drupal), and its codebase is programmed in a bad way (just take a look at some sources). It consumes more processing resources to serve a page and has limited caching capabilities. This is not a problem if you get only few hundred unique visitors a day, so most sites are OK with Joomla. Bigger sites either switch to different platforms, implement some external caching, or buy powerful dedicated servers.

You can find plenty of useful information and advice on forum.joomla.org

Good luck!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm looking between the two and Joomla seems like that would be better to set up a city portal site (similar to what Johnn is looking for in his thread but on a budget a fraction the size of his).

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What hosting are you using?

Joomla has more visual dynamic than some wordpress.
Depends how much build time and stuff you want to add
To my mind joomla has more of a site look and wordpress always lookd like a dressed up blog. I liked the timed releases for joomla, (login and add content on date a, new content gets programmed to add date b, date c, etc.)

joomla also can be a survey, an ad, etc in containers.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm using 1&1 for hosting.

I'm looking for something to be able to make a good city portal site, maybe even take in RSS feeds from local (to the site's location) news sites.

I've been in the mood to try something new, though.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with MegaNerd, but you can definitely use both.

draggar said:
People say "Joomla and WP", do I need to use both on the same site or is it one or the other?

He asked if he needed to. Not if he could. :)

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm using 1&1 for hosting.

I'm looking for something to be able to make a good city portal site, maybe even take in RSS feeds from local (to the site's location) news sites.

I've been in the mood to try something new, though.

Just be careful the alignment of the archived stories in the categories without fresh stuff. And be conservative with custom icons they can really throw off the template themes alignment.

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice regarding Joomla guys. Do you have any suggestions for what CMS to use for high traffic sites? Also, does anyone have any idea what CMS would probably be used for Craigslist.org?

accomatic

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions for what CMS to use for high traffic sites?

Drupal and Typo3 are known to scale well and handle huge loads. Of course high trafficked websites use many servers, separate static content from dynamic, use extensive caching, round robin request processing, separate (often replicated) database servers, tweaked core and modules, etc.

Also, does anyone have any idea what CMS would probably be used for Craigslist.org?

Either custom developed and embedded into webserver core (will require less servers), or any conventional CMS, well-tweaked for performance (will require many server boxes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom