Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Lack of respect being shown in sales threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All

lately, quite a few members have been offering LLL com names for sale.

in one thread, members questioned the sellers price or make comments in the thread about the quality of the domain or make speculations/predictions about the sellers ability to ever sell at the price listed or minimum posted.

read this:

it is the perogative of any seller to ask or set his/her own price.

if you don't like it or the domain, then don't bid on it or post your comment.

that shit is rude and very unprofessional.

it's also against forum rules.

so, any further "off the wall comments intended to show disrespect in any manner to the seller...may result in points being issued or ban.

getting tired of this shit, year after year grown ass mo-fo's can't respect each other.

imo...

Upvote 0

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can stupid questions from users to the seller get rude answers if it pertains to the selling price listed? ;)

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggie, I had written a one-line post "can you justify the price" on the thread for QBI.com where he's asking $100,000 as a minimum. I had never done that before and after you told me that was wrong I won't do it again (sellers don't have to justify their prices, got it) But since he's selling other LLL.com's with $100K as a minimum offer also, I think that's why some of us just felt like asking him why those prices and telling him to get realistic as his prices are exorbitant, ie exceedingly overpriced (some may have made improper remarks, all those posts got deleted)

I actually thought that in a sales thread you were allowed to ask for price justification, it sounds like it's a legitimate question, that's why I posted that (now I know those comments/Qs should be done by PM)

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My question refers to the stupid question on an LL dot package thread... ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always wonder how fun it would be to just offer 95k with something like this and follow it up with "is this high enough or does it have to be 5k more?" And have them say "no that's too low, my minimum price is $100k!" so then you politely decline and say oh well thanks anyways too much for me! :lol: I'm sure they would sleep great that night, and learn a valuable lesson as well. Don't do this though or you might end up verbally buying some crappy name for 10 times what it's worth! :uhoh:

I agree though on the don't be rude thing in sales threads, but there is a tactful way to let people know they are asking stupid prices, and there is also a tactful way to find out why they are asking that much. Sending a PM goes a long way in this business, communication is key. Sometimes (on rare occasion) the value of a name is not readily apparent, this happened with me and a name we bought on namejet years back and it was a LLL.com that was a letter swap of a large financial news site and we got it for a very low price for what it was and the traffic it had but people on some forums and blog sites even commented about how some "stupid buyer paid that much for the LLL.com domain name with crappy letters" but the funny thing was we parked it and not only did it get more traffic than we even expected but it basically was on track to pay for itself in like 15-18 months and we paid low $xx,xxx for the name, plus it had built in value as a decent LLL.com. Not many people bid on the name at the auctions because they looked at it and did not realize what it was and just dismissed it, and their oversight and rush to dismiss the name based on letters was our gain to get the name for a mere fraction of it's real potential value.

Immediately after parking for a short time it was sold for substantially more than what we paid for it because of what it was and the traffic it had (plus earnings of course) and the moral of the story is that sometimes just because a name looks "crappy" does not always mean it really is, this is where research comes in and knowing what else is out there. Same goes for potential end-users and in the case of the name "QBI" believe it or not there are some pretty large promising end-users for that name but I don't think the seller is going to find them here on this primarily resellers forum. If you want end-user prices you generally have to find an end-user to buy it. Food for domain thoughts. :cool:

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that there have been valid points made for and against. The problem becomes moderating the "grey" area of what is a good question/comment and what is a bad question/comment.

That is why the rule is pretty straight forward. No comments in a sales thread. If you want to give some advice or opinion...use PM
...or use the like/don't like button if you just have to get it out there right now.;)

I know it can be maddening and sometimes seem misguided, but if you don't like their pricing, move on or send an offer with your reasoning via PM.
People have every right to ask whatever price they want for a domain....they own it. And there are some here that are not looking to sell to resellers.
Adam (and others) have said several times that there are lots of end users that frequent DNF as members or lurkers and some members are using the forum to target them.

I don't think their is any problem asking if there is traffic/revenue for a name in the thread?

just my humble opinion...

j

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seller can ask any price they want too.
If you are interested then you can make an offer (in the offer section) if not then move on.
All of other questions should be via PM so you don't bump the thread to the top. There is no rules as how much you can ask for a name.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People who've been here awhile know better but this is a forum after all so I can see this as an ongoing source of aggravation for the moderators. I just wish there was a way to separate posts from bidding & offers or disable posts completely with a custom scripted bidding & offers function.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggie, I had posted a one-liner "Pls justify the price" on the thread for QBI.com where he's asking $100,000 as a minimum. I had never done that before and after you told me that was wrong I won't do it again (sellers don't have to justify their prices, got it) But since he's selling other LLL.com's with $100K as a minimum offer also, I think that's why some of us just felt like asking him why those prices and telling him to get realistic as his prices are exorbitant, ie exceedingly overpriced (some may have made improper remarks, all those posts got deleted)

I actually thought that in a sales thread you were allowed to ask for price justification, it sounds like it's a legitimate question, that's why I posted that (now I know those comments/Qs should be done by PM)

Thanks

now I don't know what your assets are, but if you don't have $100K, then why ask them to justify?

and if you do, and are interested in the domain....then why post in the thread and alert competition?

experienced domainers know better!

I agree though on the don't be rude thing in sales threads, but there is a tactful way to let people know they are asking stupid prices, and there is also a tactful way to find out why they are asking that much. Sending a PM goes a long way in this business, communication is key.

Sometimes (on rare occasion) the value of a name is not readily apparent, this happened with me and a name we bought on namejet years back and it was a LLL.com that was a letter swap of a large financial news site and we got it for a very low price for what it was and the traffic it had but people on some forums and blog sites even commented about how some "stupid buyer paid that much for the LLL.com domain name with crappy letters" but the funny thing was we parked it and not only did it get more traffic than we even expected but it basically was on track to pay for itself in like 15-18 months and we paid low $xx,xxx for the name, plus it had built in value as a decent LLL.com. Not many people bid on the name at the auctions because they looked at it and did not realize what it was and just dismissed it, and their oversight and rush to dismiss the name based on letters

excellent points Focus!

being tactful, shows the seller your professional side, your experience, and garners more respect from them for future deals.

too many domainers are "focused" on price guides and what is or what is not a "premium" letter (or number for that matter), so much so that they always miss the big picture.... because little pictures have been drawn for them to compare everything else against it.

experienced domainers know better!

People who've been here awhile know better .

exactly!

if one member does it, then others feel it's okay for them to post comments too.

imo...

sparty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is this a serious thread?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, i have to hand it to biggie, smart comment.....he got me there, that's true, and i didn't think of that from that angle.... (i don't even have $10K to offer for THAT name, tho i may get loans for others that are worth it imo....)

now I don't know what your assets are, but if you don't have $100K, then why ask them to justify?

....but before biggie's remark above this was exactly my reasoning, just as jaydub said it....

....I don't think their is any problem asking if there is traffic/revenue for a name in the thread?....

and i'm not sure i understand why sparty would question the seriousness of this particular thread, especially after what happened in the QBI.com thread and with its seller....maybe i'm slow but i totally missed the humor here....

is this a serious thread?

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, i have to hand it to biggie, smart comment.....he got me there, that's true, and i didn't think of that from that angle.... (i don't even have $10K to offer for THAT name, tho i may get loans for others that are worth it imo....)

Hi angel

glad you opened your eyes a bit wider

....but before biggie's remark above this was exactly my reasoning, just as jaydub said it....

even though asking about traffic and rev is valid question to post and I more than likely have done it as well....such actions still alert competition as the post gets bumped to top of que.

that's all good for the 'seller', but for me...now I may have to pay more.

and i just don't undestand why the poster here would question the seriousness of this particular thread, especially after what happened in the QBI.com thread and with its seller....maybe i'm slow but i totally missed the humor here....

"sparty's" reasoning for questioning the seriousness of this thread, could be from a different perspective than you think:

now I'm just throwing out a premise for a possible reason and not saying this is what his rationale was for stating such.

but perhaps he questioned the fact that "one even has to create such a thread like this"....for a group of domainers who claim to be professionals

one's perspective depends on their mentality

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom