• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Leasing or renting domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottle

DNF Newbie
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
I had an inquiry today about leasing a website (s) and/or parked domains. They are keyword sites that don't generate a lot of volume but have good conversions. This business would like to sell their products on the site (s). I would assume they would manage the site by themselves.

Any guidelines on leasing these sites such as how to determine the $$ amt, length of time of the lease, do you have a fixed or variable rate, etc.
 
scottle said:
I had an inquiry today about leasing a website (s) and/or parked domains. They are keyword sites that don't generate a lot of volume but have good conversions. This business would like to sell their products on the site (s). I would assume they would manage the site by themselves.

Any guidelines on leasing these sites such as how to determine the $$ amt, length of time of the lease, do you have a fixed or variable rate, etc.

Depends upon product sold. A percentage of rev share might be more beneficial, but IMO I wouldn't even consider a leasing aggreement for less than triple parked earnings/month to be even worthwhile.
 
Lease agreements can be annoying in the end when you want the name back lol
 
I was involved in a lease to own (on a name I owned) where the customer stopped paying in month 12 on a 48 month lease. It's a hassle! Have an atty draft up a rock solid agreement...I honestly don't understand why someone would opt for a plain lease term, just to give the domain back after time. I agree with expireguy's comment above it should be 3-4 times monthly parking revenue...
 
Lease agreements for anything less than $100 a month are not worth the time and confusion of someone backing out and stopping payments, etc... from my experience.
 
Are domain lease something so common today? How many cases you know?
 
better to sell or hold..........
 
Thanks for the information. Sounds like the general opinion is not to lease or rent given the hassle. The way I thought of doing it was to keep me as the admin contact so I maintained control & held their cc number for a monthly payment guarantee. Apparently the people making the request are either new or thought buying a good keyword domain name was too expensive.

I really don't understand most of these people's thought processes when it comes to domain names. Here you have electronic real estate that over the long run if optimized, ppc'd correctly would be a lot less expensive than strictly paying for advertising.
 
if you are leasing the domain keep the name with you. When he wants just change the NS or other settings etc. name will be always with you and you also earn the profit.. ;) i guess it will work only if the other side agrees on it :-)

..:: peace ::..
Jeba
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom