Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vbird

Hi,

I am wondering on this issue:

Person owns a domain that they have had for sometime and is on all of their business material, (which is a fair bit for a small company, say about $8000 per year of printing etc.... not to mention how much is currently in circulation after about 3-4 years.)

So they have had this domain with netsol and have had the normal problems in dealing with customer support in the past and would consider themselves a frustrated client. So they get a renewal reminder from another registrar who's tactics are trickery in making the client think to renew with them. They initiate the transfer as they liked the price and wanted to get away from Netsol. Netsol then offers their "please stay price". This person opts to stay for that better price.

Now what happens gets messy. The transaction goes through and the persons card is charged by netsol for the renewal. But then the transaction is reversed because this domain was not renewed fast enough and now is supposed to be the normal price. The person is mad and says the hell with netsol and their price changes and how deceptive they are, but then they speak to Netsol and someone their tells them okay it should still be able to go through at the promised "stay price", and that they will take care of it. This does not happen. The person then finds the domain is not renewable or transferrable. I suppose they could have got it renewed for the normal price but understandably they are mad.

A netsol person tells them it will be dropped soon and they can register it as soon as it is gone. The domain name is not something anyone would want as it is really a unique name relating to the business. I cannot say the name as I only spoke to this person afterwards and do not represent these people at all. So as soon as it was dropped it was scooped. It even almost looks like it could have been in the registry (namesbeyond.com) at least by the whois date, before it was gone from netsol.

So I can see that this person let their domain get dropped, and while the person who scooped it did nothing wrong I wonder if Netsol/Verisign is accountable at least in providing sound customer service? Then namesbeyond.com states in their dispute policy something along the lines that if someone can prove that the domain was used by a company even if not a trademark their is a case for a dispute.

However this person now has to resort to hiring a lawyer and paying those dues all because of a conflict in pricing and customer service.

Anyone have any advice? The only routes I could advise was to see if the domain was being held for ransom and to pay that or try the namesbeyond.com dispute direction if that is even feasible.

Domain Summit 2024

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought sales could be reversed when they was a registry error. A few people here have lost names off bought off drop lists.
There may also be a trademark issue if the guy has been using the domain for some time, maybe the buyer may find it unusable. It might be worth warning him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom