Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

magic-the-gathering.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
any Legal Issue on this name ?

wizards.com
magicthegathering.com

are the official website.

Thanks

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow, how about this one without mispelling ? :D

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Based on the earlier decision I cited above, I think this is a risky name to hold onto.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not just risky, it's illegal. You couldn't get a more clear case of cybersquatting.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of "magic the gathering" - what is it?
And as far as i know "wizards" is the plural of "wizard", a highly generic term - so where's the TM problem here?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I've never heard of "magic the gathering" - what is it?"

It is an immensely popular role-playing/card game of the Pokemon/Yugi-Oh variety, but is fairly more complex and has quite a large following.

Of course "MAGIC THE GATHERING" is their trademark for the game. So, unless one has been living in a cave for several years, it is hard to imagine what motivates a question of the form, "I registered someone's trademark as a domain name. Is there a legal issue?"

"wow, how about this one without mispelling ? "

Uh, let's see... when faced with a decision relating to mis-spelling, the question is "My domain name is identical to their trademark, instead of being confusingly similar to their trademark?" Do you really need an answer to that question?

That's sort of like finding out that it is against the law to injure someone and asking, "But what if I kill them?"

Now, you could ask "Is it illegal to kill someone?" No, it is not illegal to "kill someone". Whether it is legal to kill someone depends on the reasons why you killed them. Were you a soldier in battle? Are you the state's executioner? Were they trying to kill you? "Murder" is illegal - "killing someone" is not.

Now "killing someone" is part of the overall picture of what is generally defined as "murder", but as you can see, there is more to it than that.

Cybersquatting is similar... "registering someone's trademark as a domain name" is a part of what constitutes cybersquatting. Whether or not it *is* cybersquatting in any particular case depends on your motivation and reasons for doing it, among other things.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see all major tlds are all taken for the name "magic-the-gathering"

and even .net version is a redirect to blackborder site.
I see wizards don't want this name.
And I'm not redirect this one to adult related site which that mispelled name was.

Thanks for your pro view. I really appreciate it.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I see wizards don't want this name."

Maybe they just have their own set of priorities.

Let me suggest you think of a hypothetical. I have an apple tree in my yard, and you live next door. Every year, you watch the apple tree bloom and grow apples. And, every year, you watch the apple trees ripen on the tree, fall off, and rot in my yard, because I neglect to harvest them.

After several years of this, you say to yourself, "Well if John doesn't want those apples, then I at least will do something worthwhile with them." So, you walk into my yard, harvest the apples, bake apple pies, and sell the pies.

Did you or did you not steal my apples?

Mizzoula

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
Did you or did you not steal my apples?

Sneaky little trap question...

He...borrowed them? (He's going to give them right back when he's finished with them!)

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
After several years of this, you say to yourself, "Well if John doesn't want those apples, then I at least will do something worthwhile with them." So, you walk into my yard, harvest the apples, bake apple pies, and sell the pies.

I'm just walk into your yard and harvest your abandoned apples. Not yet bake them and sell them.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So you admit you stole the appples? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom