• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Making a Living with Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course dont puit all your eggs in one basket. All i was simply saying there was that if you have money to invest, best idea is to invest it in fewer good names than heaps of trashy names. Dont over stretch yourself either way.

Thats my opinion at least, all i can say is that i have never purchased a name and sold it for anywhere near the buying price.. its always been far in excess of that. So i guess, In my experience at least. Domains have done nothing but increase in value even throughout the highly publicised bubble bursting etc..
 
Invest it the right way........do the research when you buy or build a site from scratch
 
part-timer, I enjoy it and keep finding ways to move forward.
start with looking in areas you already know about, like the "niche" advice people have already given here.
use overture to find the keywords people are already searching for.
no one really has the one answer, you have to research what other successful people are doing and try different things. I mean here we are 2006 and the whole 'developing your domains' topic is just getting going.
domains have been getting more and more press and I get the sense more and more people will be getting into the domain trading/investing market.
If you don't have a lot of money and time to start out, then start part time and set a goal of making xxx per month at first. Better to spend two hours at night researching the domain industry than watching tv anyway. All you really need to do is find ONE thing that starts to work for you, then just keep branching out from there. I also agree that this can be an easy entry venture, to register a few domains and get some sites up is all low cost and can be done from home, as opposed to starting another side business where you have to have a physical storefront, invest in inventory, etc. The internet is the greatest sales venue ever created, and we're still in the early days here.
 
bladex5k said:
I'm afraid if I invest a couple hundred, it could fall through, and now I did it for nothing... ya know? What would you guys suggest?

I have the same problem, which is why I usually go the development route (costs very little money down).

However, the people that make it big in this industry are the ones that take the risks and make lots of purchases....just look at Adam (aka DotComGod)
 
Oh yeah of course... Maybe as I get a little older, I will have to start taking those types of financial risks...
 
I'm trying to make a living on domains/anything online.

I started in January 1999 having kept a few domains since then now
I'm born again. With the blogging craze, ordinary people are coming in waves to the internet and don't know html; but, they want their own domain/business identifier and can use blog/cms templates. So I think
domain real estate is getting hot again.

How to make money? Well we all hope in that one or two special domains we
would love to sell for alot (If you don't, try to own/buy one bargain :). Now I say you have to be pateint, the value of the domain can be X times more than currently if you can hold for 5+ years. By then will other extensions be more widely mainstream? Hmm..

But if the price is right, I'm sure we want to make out big today with our best. Just remember to bargain and be patient. If you strike gold and discover a very serious bidder, be weary of the dreaded "The buyer was willing to pay xxx,xxx and I unloaded it for x,xxx!"

How about nicer banners we can put on our sites to promote the business. More domainers or average person awareness jacks up our business collectively.

Regards,

UN
 
Well, I make almost triple what I make at my real job, but I like my real job and it is also extra cash.

My problem with ppc income is that it can be up and down. I never know how much I will end up making at the end of the month. With my real paying job, I know exactly what I will be getting. It is also good to have my real job just in case anything ever drastic happens with the domaining world.

I started off slow, buying and selling names. Made a big sale, took that money and made some big risk purchases on alot of traffic names and it paid off. Like GT said, you will have to take risks. I feel if I didn't take those risks, I wouldn't be were I am today. I did fork over alot of that money that I made from that sale , for the names I have today, but it was all worth it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom