Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Meet a Jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Low ball offers are a part of the domaining business, and I get my share. But this guy went out of his way to waste an hour of my morning.

Today I got a DomainNameSales inquiry for BuyCheapLand.com. (For those of you who like trivia, Rick Schwartz owns CheapLand.com.)

Anyway, the guy left a note saying, "Please call me." Normally, I'd request an offer via email; but I went ahead and called him. It went to voice mail; so I left a message by phone and email. Half an hour later, he calls me back. First he offers me 3 domains that were so abysmally atrocious that I'd love to remember them -- but can't. I said simply that I'd prefer to keep mine. Then he dodged around for awhile, asking my price. I told him -- truthfully -- that I would have to do some research to set a price and that I would first need an offer before spending the time to do so.

While I was very politely saying this, the call dropped -- or so I thought. I called back, and someone picked up the phone. There was background music, but no one spoke. Odd ... Once I logged back online, however, I found that he had emailed me an offer of $1. Now, I had been completely professional with him during the 3 phone calls this morning. And he has registered enough shitty domains to know what the registration fee is. So clearly he meant this as an insult. Obviously he hung up on me. And evidently he answered my follow-up call and held it up to the radio as some kind of juvenile prank.

Now, I'm a bit of a bloodthirsty human being and nothing gives me more satisfaction than flaying someone to death with words. But in daily life, I'm extremely polite and charitable; so I rarely get the chance to be anywhere near as insulting as I'd like to be. Before I could give myself permission to despise this guy, I wanted to give him the chance to say he was just having a bad day or something. I responded, saying simply that he had approached me out of the blue and requested that I call him, that I had done so, and that it seemed unprofessional for him to hang up and make an insultingly low offer. Here's his response:

"OK now I will need to lower my offer to 50 cents due to the fact that you do not have Bieber Fever"

Gibberish ... Maybe he meant that I DO have Bieber Fever? I'm guessing that means I'm a Justin Bieber fan? Apparently he's insinuating that I'm gay? Because I didn't want to trade BuyCheapLand.com for some nonsense domain he owns? Or because I don't like my time being wasted or being hung up on? I think most of us in the 21st century would consider calling someone "gay" as an insult immature even for Junior High School.

But this guy is a PUBLISHED AUTHOR. (Self-published, one would assume.) He aspires to be thought of as literate! And he believes that he has the social charms to engage with other people!

So let me introduce you to the jerk:

Herm, Eric [email protected]
Short Sellings 1257 Island Rd
West Palm Beach, Florida 33404 United States
+1.5617296464

He also blogs here:
SonOfAFarmer.com

I'm considering registering BastardOfADayLaborer.com and blogging as an homage to Mr. Herm. But I'm open to additional suggestions.

P.S. Please don't tell me that I should forgive and forget. You have no idea the kind of fun I'm going to have kicking Eric around for the next decade.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do people feel it is OK to be this unprofessional? Offering $1 for a domain is like leaving a $0.25 tip. You're clearly leaving a message with it, and it isn't good.

I'd say go with the blog, especially if you're good at getting them ranked and going well. Who knows, maybe you'll get a site going about people like this - could be the next big thing!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would have dumped the email to triz-zash from the git go.

but it reads like both of you wanted to play psych games

:)

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would have dumped the email to triz-zash from the git go.

but it reads like both of you wanted to play psych games

:)

Psych games are better than sunshine. Every day I wake up hoping that some idiotic, rude person will give me a legitimate reason to unleash my inner sadist. Bonus points if he's a bigot like this guy!

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What could he POSSIBLY have stood to gain from doing this? Really. It just boggles the mind.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would not waste a single minute on this. Them good ole boys are fine in the Texan art of douchebaggery. Yee-haw!

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would not waste a single minute on this. Them good ole boys are fine in the Texan art of douchebaggery. Yee-haw!

I think this particular douchebag would be a lone star even in the Lone Star State, where people are often pretty polite.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with Acro, forget and move on. Why waste time on it?

Nah, have fun with it, then move on. Once they act like a douche and a reasonable deal is not reached they need a written poker lesson. In the end they haven't wasted your time, they provided you with an opportunity to school them as well as stress release.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with Acro, forget and move on. Why waste time on it?

Pleasure. I will probably move on for now. But my lifetime will be full of spare moments to torture this bug.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much is your time worth? The free rent you are giving him in your head will turn this from a wasted hour into an unmitigated financial disaster.

How much better off you would be to expend your creative energy on business.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much is your time worth? The free rent you are giving him in your head will turn this from a wasted hour into an unmitigated financial disaster.

How much better off you would be to expend your creative energy on business.

I spend plenty of creative energy on business as it is. Sometimes you just have to relax by kicking a soccer ball around -- or an Eric Herm.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Eric Herm, the notable author, is traveling to the Big Apple this week. And he's just been given a very flattering opportunity to do a magazine interview:

Hello, Mr. Herm

A friend of mine loaned me your book, and I found it absolutely fascinating. Now I see that you're going to be in NYC soon. Is there any chance you'll be free to meet for an interview in our magazine, [Name Omitted], which just launched in May? It's affiliated with [Name of Newspaper Omitted]. I'm the editor.

Hope to get a chance to meet you,
[Name Omitted]

Confusion to follow ...

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Three other individuals have been on my "To Toy With" list for awhile. They've all just subscribed to an email list to receive a chapter of Eric's book. Knowing these 3 people, they will respond to Lone Star Eric with streams of profanity for weeks to come.

That's especially true because, in the "Name" field, somebody has written, "Hey $*&^@!!!#" Therefore they will receive an email from Eric out of the blue, greeting them with "Hey $*&^@!!!#", and telling them what kind of food they should eat (since that's apparently what he thinks he's qualified to write about).

I love introducing similar people to each other. Once things calm down for them, I'm pretty sure one of them will email the other one and start it all over again. Just a hunch.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, his address (or business) is Short Sellings.That would indicate that he is into short sales...buying stocks that are going to fall in price.

He obviously thought this works with domains.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This guy is from another planet. After hanging up on me yesterday, offering $1, and then attempting (and botching) a juvenile insult, he approached me AGAIN via DomainNameSales ... to do BUSINESS! Here's Eric Herm's latest message:

Also, I just registered faird.com today.

Will you trade?

According to epik appraise, landworld.com is worth $820 and faird.com is

worth $1,792.

Also Faird is both a first and a last name of a person.

Of course, Faird probably seems like a pretty common last name to somebody named Herm.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
December:

Dear Poker,

This is a reminder that you recently received an offer of 100 $US for the domain name LLL.com

Best Regards,

Your Sedo Team

November (different name, different bidder):

Dear Poker,

This is a reminder that you recently received an offer of 60 $US for the domain name LLL.com

Best Regards,

Your Sedo Team

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ Poker,

There ought to be a DNForum section devoted to dumb offers. There's an endless supply of these. I got a phone call yesterday from somebody who wanted to buy Nuisance.com for $50. He was polite, but I couldn't help laughing -- partly because there are so many jokes to refrain from making with that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom