Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Mentor needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

David.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am writing this email in hopes that someone would like to be my mentor in the domain business.

I know it's a long shot but maybe someone out there who has made some serious money would like to give back a bit by helping out someone like me.

I did some research, bought some domains, put some domains up for sale but received no offers so it is now time to step back and ask for help.

I'm in my 20s, no wife, no kids, no current girlfriend. I am very ambitious but I am also very frustrated. I spend 10+ hours on this site and also on a webmasters forum but the more I read the more lost I get. I'm trying to learn but there is just so much information I don't know where to start.

I understand that I am new to this and it will probably take me like 10+ years to learn all of this on my own. Having someone who can teach me the ropes would make the process a whole lot easier.

The main things I would like to learn are:

1. How to read domain data so I know which domains are good to flip. What is good traffic? How many keyword searches indicate a good domain? How many google monthly clicks is good? How many pages should be indexed with google? What is good Quantcast traffic? How does wordtracker work? How does a website get listed in the yahoo/google directory? How does Alexa popularity work? Plus about two dozen other questions.

2. Once I get a good understanding of what actually makes a domain a good domain I would like to learn how to make a website. I downloaded WordPress and have a “Dummies” book on how to use it. I would also like to learn how to make money from websites with adsense, affiliate programs, etc. How do I make SEO work for me? Also I have a lot of basic questions, such as how do you take a new domain and build it up into something? Like Mr. Frind for example, he built his site out of nothing into something spectacular.

3.The above two go together. I would like to learn how to read the domain data because I would like to buy domains with good traffic and then hold on to them and build them up so that they become better with age.

One of the things that I have been reading on this forum and other forums as well is people writing, “It takes hard work. Lots of people want to make money but they don't want to work hard.”

I want to work hard it's just that I don't know what to do which makes this very frustrating! I need someone to tell me what to do, at least when starting out. Like a teacher for example, teach me one task and build up on it. I have some knowledge of what I have gathered from this site but assume that I know 0% about this industry, what would you teach me?

I'd like to be more efficient with my time and I want to feel like the 10 hours I put in today into the domain business are actually paying off and that tomorrow when I spend 10 more hours at the computer I will learn even more.

I'm not expecting anyone to share their money making secrets with me but I am looking for a mentor/friend/teacher who I can talk with either by PM, instant messaging or phone with any questions I might have. I'm not looking to get rick quickly but rather learn over time and continue learning so this would be a long term thing.

To show that I have sincere interest I am willing to give this mentor 5% of all of my profits for 12 months or whatever percentage and time frame we agree on.

I think this would be a good idea because it would show that you aren't wasting your time answering my questions and giving me advice.

Please PM if interested.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-David

Last edited:

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want to spend 10 hours a day learning, just head over to DNJournal and read the weekly sales columns for the last several years. That will teach you about what names are actually worth and what sells a lot more than perusing a forum. After studying that sales data you should get a good feel for what any random name is approximately worth.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Watch the bids for presale
Watch the drop
Understand names that people use to search for services/products

I can go on and on...most importantly the financial aspect associated with purchasing names. Domainers are in the biz of buy/sit/sell and now developing their names. You must make returns to sustain the business plan.

If you want the scoop, read the book by David Kesmodel, The Domain Game.

After the read, you'll understand the biz and why the sales you see on DNJournal are what they are. It's touch and go, but addictively fun!

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find using a cork board, two monkeys and dull darts ( for safety ) are best when making decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators