• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

milliondollarhomepage.com dodgy goings on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1
89500 pixels purchased on 2005-10-01 - That's $89500! Now you'd think if someone paid $89500 for advertising they would at least use that advertising space but no, the homepage just shows masses of black "Reserved and Paid" boxes.

All looks very suspicious to me. My guess is that Mr Tew is making up these pixel sales to make the lower half of the homepage look more active with the hope attracting real advertisers to buy pixels in this area.

At a later date I bet these "reserved and paid" pixels become available again (there's some evidence of this already happening as a few days back that 89500 number was 91500, suggesting that some pixels have been released back to the available pool).

Could be totally wrong but as I say, all looks very suspicious to me :evil:

- Rob
 
Interesting. At first I thought the whole thing was made up. Keep us informed. May want to take screen shots to prove they go back into the pool of available pixels.
 
Hello,

I have an ad on the page and do not believe he is doing this. But I could be proved wrong very easily =]
 
I became suspicious when I saw many ad spots taken by affiliate codes.

-=DCG=-

The bottom center of the site above where the site is hosted has an affiliate code "CasinoCat"..

The big golden palace ad has a referal code going to "CasinoCat"...


Anyone else see any casino cats?
 
I wonder how much was that BBC journalist who "broke the story" in for with this guy?

My guess is 50-50%
 
yes, very interesting. Keep us updated on this one.
 
Duncan said:
The bottom center of the site above where the site is hosted has an affiliate code "CasinoCat"..

The big golden palace ad has a referal code going to "CasinoCat"...


Anyone else see any casino cats?

CasinoPartners.com has a CasinoCat affiliate URL.
 
I have like all the typos for this site..lol
 
Who cares. I get more than 200 clicks /day from the 30x30 pixel block I placed. A $900 investment, and it's a business expense to top it off. I also own a typo of the domain, which makes up to $2 /day.

It's viral marketing at its finest.
 
200 garbage clicks... who clicks on those ads anyway? random curious people with nothing more to do
 
fryman04 said:
200 garbage clicks... who clicks on those ads anyway? random curious people with nothing more to do
yup, 100% agree.
 
I was looking yesterday, and the bottom half of the page took ages to load, then it crashed. Then when you look at the jumbled mess of ad's how the hell does anyone know what to click on unless you are interested in the large ad's only. It's just a hit a miss click that will lead nowhere unless you are dam right lucky..
 
Acroplex said:
Who cares. I get more than 200 clicks /day from the 30x30 pixel block I placed. A $900 investment, and it's a business expense to top it off. I also own a typo of the domain, which makes up to $2 /day.

It's viral marketing at its finest.

But are you making a profit by advertising there?

Shaun
 
Those reserved areas could be for various reasons. It could be some big buyer and funds might be waiting to clear. It's a big purchase. I am sure there could be a few reasonable reasons. I doubt after making many hundreds of thousands of dollars he would feel the need to "cheat" it's ungodly how fast he is making this money as it is.
 
Maybe it's all truely from one buyer, and that buyer is designing a specially sized ad for the bottom pixels which are all connected... I know if it were me and I spent 89k I would want to be 110% certain that my ads were going to stand out above everything else.
 
Blarian said:
I know if it were me and I spent 89k I would want to be 110% certain that my ads were going to stand out above everything else.

I know if it were me I wouldn't spent 89k on some vanity jerkoff clicks, when I could instead buy tons of ads in trade papers and specifically targeted websites in my niches/industries.
 
The power of optimizing on the end metric ;)

Clicks do not equal intent.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom