Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

mirror.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
OK, a bit more economics for you:

There are around 10,000 common English words. There are also 676 two letter combinations. I think most of us will admit that the "premium" names are found in these two groups.

10676 * 3 extensions = 32028 domains.

I would get the expiry date of every one of the these names. I would then trim out all names that don't expire in the next 12 months. I've done this, and I can say that around 60% can be trimmed, leaving 12,811 domains. Multiply that by $24, gives you $307,468.

Put yourself in BD's shoes. They're currently spending $700,000 per year (I'd say that's a conservative estimate). Why wouldn't you spend $300k on day 1, knowing that every great domain that drops in the next 12 months is already yours?

BD may be publicly against WLS, but maybe that's just because if they were for it people might wonder why. Even if they're truly against it, I can guarantee they own a calculator and have a "Plan B".

(and that's assuming .ORG goes to WLS. If it doesn't, it's only $200k they have to spend on .COM and .NET)

Exactly!
Even if it is $500,000 it is still doable.
If they spend 100k the other huge players will also be spending enough to effectively take most if not all good names off the market.
At least now we have a chance at aquiring good if not great names.

Domain Summit 2024

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
I'm sure BD is against WLS for the same reason a lot of others are, namely that we don't need another Verisign-tax, which raises *everyone's*cost of business, and tries to reimpose their monopoly control over the industry.

When the politicians in Washington are trying to raise taxes, I'm sure BuyDomains is against those too. :)

George,

Get real. When people are paying $500 to $5000 for decent names on NW and Pool, you are complaining about the Verisign tax? You are so stuck in the "WLS sucks" camp that you are blind.

This question was debatable a year ago. Today, only someone making money off of the existing system (Pool, NW, DropWizard & associated registrars) should be still against WLS.

18 months ago I was getting good domains at NW for $25. The SAME quality names today are going for $500. I don't know about you, but I cannot reliably make a profit buying for $500 per name. Sure some names are worth that, but mediocre names are going for that now.

Furthermore, names that I used to have a 60% chance of catching with a Snap, I now seem to have a 20% chance for with Snap. So, even if you are paying discounted rates for Snaps, it is a low probability bet to try to Snap decent names.

The auction systems are kicking butt. And, they (NW & Pool and their affiliated registrars) are sucking most of the profit out of expiring names. No wonder they can afford to buy the attention of their Congressmen.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, a bit more economics for you:

There are around 10,000 common English words. There are also 676 two letter combinations. I think most of us will admit that the "premium" names are found in these two groups.

10676 * 3 extensions = 32028 domains.

I would get the expiry date of every one of the these names. I would then trim out all names that don't expire in the next 12 months. I've done this, and I can say that around 60% can be trimmed, leaving 12,811 domains. Multiply that by $24, gives you $307,468.

Put yourself in BD's shoes. They're currently spending $700,000 per year (I'd say that's a conservative estimate). Why wouldn't you spend $300k on day 1, knowing that every great domain that drops in the next 12 months is already yours?

BD may be publicly against WLS, but maybe that's just because if they were for it people might wonder why. Even if they're truly against it, I can guarantee they own a calculator and have a "Plan B".

(and that's assuming .ORG goes to WLS. If it doesn't, it's only $200k they have to spend on .COM and .NET)

10,000 common english words plus 2 letter names? Thanks for showing how little you know.

There are 17,000 3 letters, most of which are valuable as .com and .net (so add another 30,000 names). There are lots of first names, last names, city names, country names, state names, etc. Under your misguided reasoning, you would pass up Florence.com, NewYork.com, Pennsylvania.com, William.com, Stevenson.com

How about foreign words. You would pass up: banco.com? femme.com? roma.com? buch.com?

Then how about 2 word combos? How many good 2 word combos end in forum.com, to take an obvious example? How many end in sex.com?
How about eSex.com? That one has no value?
eCoin.com, GreatDomains.com, NewYorkRealEstate, CaliforniaDreaming?

Absolute Proof of the absurdity of your argument:
BD already has >100,000 names. So does ULT. So does Fabulous.com. Based on your reasoning, those 3 already own all of the good names.

Reality: WLS will help you and me and it will hurt&help BD. It will hurt NW and Pool.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hiOsilver
10,000 common english words plus 2 letter names? Thanks for showing how little you know.
There are 10,000 common English words worth registering. For example, I wouldn't waste $7 on openly.com, happening.com, sadly.com... They may be common words, but they're useless. 10,000. Got it?
There are 17,000 3 letters, most of which are valuable as .com and .net (so add another 30,000 names).
There may be 17,000 three-letter COM's, but how many are really worth chasing? I wouldn't waste my time trying to get WXQ.com, because I'd be lucky to get $300 for it.

If you think three letter .NET and .ORG's are valuable you've obviously received some sort of severe head trauma.

There are lots of first names, last names, city names, country names, state names, etc. Under your misguided reasoning, you would pass up Florence.com, NewYork.com, Pennsylvania.com, William.com, Stevenson.com

How about foreign words. You would pass up: banco.com? femme.com? roma.com? buch.com?

Then how about 2 word combos? How many good 2 word combos end in forum.com, to take an obvious example? How many end in sex.com?
How about eSex.com? That one has no value?
eCoin.com, GreatDomains.com, NewYorkRealEstate, CaliforniaDreaming?
Sure, there are some amazing eWord and Forum domains. You are, however, over-estimating the quantity and value of them. I wouldn't even look twice at CaliforniaDreaming.com if it was in a drop list. What would you get for it on here? $100?

Absolute Proof of the absurdity of your argument:
BD already has >100,000 names. So does ULT. So does Fabulous.com. Based on your reasoning, those 3 already own all of the good names.
Read the BD list I posted in the other thread. There's a lot of crap names in there. Why are you saying all their domains are great?
Reality: WLS will help you and me and it will hurt&help BD. It will hurt NW and Pool.
You're in for a nasty shock if WLS goes ahead. You think BD, Ult and others aren't going to buy up big?

Here's the point - I don't want foreign words. I don't want eWords. I don't want SomethingForum.net, or PooSex.com. I want premium English word domains. So do you, unless you really do have brain damage. Will you get any under WLS? No.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are 10,000 common English words worth registering. For example, I wouldn't waste $7 on openly.com, happening.com, sadly.com... They may be common words, but they're useless. 10,000. Got it?
There may be 17,000 three-letter COM's, but how many are really worth chasing? I wouldn't waste my time trying to get WXQ.com, because I'd be lucky to get $300 for it.

If you think three letter .NET and .ORG's are valuable you've obviously received some sort of severe head trauma.

Sure, there are some amazing eWord and Forum domains. You are, however, over-estimating the quantity and value of them. I wouldn't even look twice at CaliforniaDreaming.com if it was in a drop list. What would you get for it on here? $100?

Read the BD list I posted in the other thread. There's a lot of crap names in there. Why are you saying all their domains are great?
You're in for a nasty shock if WLS goes ahead. You think BD, Ult and others aren't going to buy up big?

Here's the point - I don't want foreign words. I don't want eWords. I don't want SomethingForum.net, or PooSex.com. I want premium English word domains. So do you, unless you really do have brain damage. Will you get any under WLS? No.

Well said Beachie. Only I think I'd pay $7 for happening.com,
but that's just me. :)

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Very Very well said Beachie

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Also, bear in mind that BD and Ult will be well aware that WLS could make or break them. The game will be won or lost in the first 60 seconds of WLS opening.

Whilst I'm opposed to WLS, I think it will be the biggest opportunity for one player to take a complete strangle-hold on the premium market.

If I had a spare $250k I'd be preparing for what I should have done in 1996 - grab everything I can, as fast as possible.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Also, bear in mind that BD and Ult will be well aware that WLS could make or break them. The game will be won or lost in the first 60 seconds of WLS opening.

Whilst I'm opposed to WLS, I think it will be the biggest opportunity for one player to take a complete strangle-hold on the premium market.

If I had a spare $250k I'd be preparing for what I should have done in 1996 - grab everything I can, as fast as possible.

That is until a year or two from now when dropcatching services open up for expiring wls and you can bid on them or get the backorder of the backorder. :)

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
That is until a year or two from now when dropcatching services open up for expiring wls and you can bid on them or get the backorder of the backorder. :)
Hehe yes.. :) That's the other glaring fault of WLS.

I'm not looking forward to a time when I'm posting the great WLS I just grabbed, instead of the great domain I just grabbed..

"Give me an appraisal on the WLS of diary.org"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom