• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

.mobi - are you jazzed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that's why I will try to get few good ones. However, I don't think they will legally be able to do that.


Maybe, but the service providers could always lock the browsers to only surf on .mobi for "stability" purposes.
 
I have never been a .mobi supporter...

Furthermore what is the idea here is it to get your cell phone to surf .mobi?

if so is it better to get adamdicker.mobi or my cell 4165551212.mobi

What is the real way to benefit from these even if cell phone companies go for it?

-=DCG=-
 
I have never been a .mobi supporter...

Furthermore what is the idea here is it to get your cell phone to surf .mobi?

if so is it better to get adamdicker.mobi or my cell 4165551212.mobi

What is the real way to benefit from these even if cell phone companies go for it?



As a domain extention itself it looks like a dead end without a way for the average domainer or .mobi site operator to monetize the cell phone traffic.

The only players in a position to do that are service providers since they can bill the cell phone account directly and collect the money (they can also collect for large 3rd parties).


Big players will do very well with this assuming they throw all their weight into it.
 
Thye should've made it .mob - it would be at least funny
 
Pre-registered two only. Actually just for fun. Don´t think to much of .mobi - sounds weird, but then again, you never know.
 
I've submitted some pre-regs, even though I also think it's quite an awful extension. But the list of companies supporting the TLD gives me some inkling that there might be a stronger push for the use of this domain. Over time, the browsers on mobile phones will be able to show almost anything that a browser on a PC can show today.

The main question will be what to do with the names once the registry goes live, after all I am not aware of any PPC/parking provider that hast .mobi compliant pages (they have rules for websites under .mobi).
 
... after all I am not aware of any PPC/parking provider that hast .mobi compliant pages (they have rules for websites under .mobi).

That's a good point. But are they going to enforce the rules that's another question.
 
The only domain I like is Dick.mobi
the fish, not the organ
 
Thye should've made it .mob - it would be at least funny

.m (mobile) or .c (cell) would be nice. Short and quick to use on cell phone. As for .mobi, I am not a supporter of it and I wouldn't backorder for it.:greencool:
 
Thye should've made it .mob - it would be at least funny

I like that idea. and 3 letters is less fussy and more in keeping with the other ext.

icann can you dump the 'i' please?

The only domain I like is Dick.mobi
the fish, not the organ

Better off waiting a few decades for the .dick ext. Then you can backorder mobi.dick
 
... What is the real way to benefit from these even if cell phone companies go for it?

-=DCG=-
This is the question. If cell phone companies do engage in notable promotion, then developed .mobi sites will get traffic and perhaps more than a cult following. I assume that .mobi compliant sites will receive preferential treatment over basic sites. Could be that search results are customized for .mobi and advertisers will be glad to cater to this particular niche market of internet users via cell phone.

There is some logic behind creating content tweaked for cell phone displays (not only current technology, but next generation). More people carry a cell phone than have desktop/laptop internet access 24/7 ... and that creates a market unlike anything seen before since the internet's launch. .mobi may be a large part of a new medium of anytime/anywhere internet access.

My point being that it's potential may be greater than most of us have considered. Weird as .mobi sounds, .org is twice as ugly.
 
I have pre-ordered two of them just for kicks...

I think mobile device surfing will only get bigger so it could be a valuable extention...
 
Do you think I should back-order

LongIslandMortgagesAndLoans.mobi ????

Or, do you think it is too long and will not get any traffic ????

What the heck? It is only going to cost $80 to $100.

:cheesy:
 
Do you think I should back-order

LongIslandMortgagesAndLoans.mobi ????

Or, do you think it is too long and will not get any traffic ????

What the heck? It is only going to cost $80 to $100.

:cheesy:

You could ask users to add it to the speed-dial in their phones.
 
I pre-reg'd 2 just for the fun of it. Who knows if there will be an after market for these. I never thought some of the other extenstions would be so popular either.
 
With all the crap TLDs being introduced it's hardly surprising .com is still the World's favorite. Actually every new ext seems to strengthen .com (the positive side of things maybe).
 
Nope, I don't like it at all, yet another extension the general public don't really know about, most people (non web-savvy) just know .com net and org, and their country's cctld.

I don't forsee it becoming a big thing, unless what NameJet said actually happens, highly doubtful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom