Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.mobi Is it going to be another failure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny :cheeky:
Obviously. Today with style sheets and table-less design it's not a problem to render a site on different browsers with different screen sizes. Including mobile browsers.

Style sheets by definition have nothing to do with page content or navigation.

How exactly would you trim down a site the size of DNF to fit onto a mobile browser using only a style sheet?

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didnt reg any but i agree it has potential to do well, that still doesnt excuse most of the mobis people regged in this case the longer the name bigger potential for loss except great kewords, many domainers looked at mobi as if it was the next dotcom regging almost all words no matter how obscure they were, i think those that regged good keywords will do well the rest are out a lot of money

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, from a pure coding standpoint wouldn't it just be very simple to have an IF/ELSE statement to determine what device is accessing the server and then pull the right format of the site for that device?

That seems like a much more efficient solution than a whole new extension. Although the mobile phone companies have tremendous power and influence today, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is there is no need for a .mobi extension. So the only way this will take off is if the manufacturers convince the public that it is "cool" to use.

This won't take off because of necessity, it will take off of because of branding power.

.com was big because it was the first on the market, and it had to start somewhere.

I think this will sink but if they keep pushing down people's throats, eventually they may like the taste of it.

Jay

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How exactly would you trim down a site the size of DNF to fit onto a mobile browser using only a style sheet?

You just build hidden layout packets into a normal web site. The mobile device picks up the packets and displays existing text but in the mobile layout. Easy ;) Of course I have no idea how to do this in reality but I bet there is somebody somewhere already sorting this out.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course I have no idea how to do this in reality

Exactly. I've yet to see a practical working example (ie, code samples) of where a large website has been trimmed down to a mobile browser using ONLY a style sheet and leaving the existing website unchanged (as per the original arguement).

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ Just give this problem to Macromedia. I think they can solve anything & everything.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ Just give this problem to Macromedia. I think they can solve anything & everything.

Just a correction Macromedia is now Adobe, well has been for months now.

.mobi is for Mobile Devices.

Cell phones are but one of those devices.
Mobile Devices will use software that has .mobi set as the default extension

Because the cost of a .mobi I would say wait to dive in with a large purchase, your ROI is going to be in the crapper for while.
Better to buy up names in other extensions and set up mini-networks/sites.
Financially, right now, it makes no sense to own a large portfolio of .mobi. There just isn't the market for it right now.

I am still a believer that .mobi is going to come to fruition in the next 5 years.
at a min of 2 yrs Reg for a name = $40-$70 per reg. Seems that money will be used to help further build the .mobi infrastructor.

....only time will tell

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Message to NAMEJET:
Dude, nothing to do with domains. where is the island in your picture? it looks amazing!
Predator

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ultimately, I don't believe it will be a matter of "choice" or "coolness" or even desire... I think the ultimate plan is akin to EXTORTION.

The manufacturers and providers can easily BUILD IN preference to mobi domains. SImply put, they've invested MILLIONS into the ext and the best and only way to ensure their return on investment is to guarantee its usage.

The only way to guarantee its useage is to dictate its usage.

No, they won't just lay down the law and say "THE MOBI WAY OR NO WAY", I think it will start by preference to mobi domains. Making domain "standardized" for mobi usage. Then, it will be a series of introduced "convenience" features like hotkeys, search options and shortcuts ALL defaulted to mobi domains. Then it will be mobi domains getting priority over all other dot commons. Then it will be near exclusivity if not total.

THEN... the REAL mobi landrush will begin as business realize they stand the change of being completely blocked out from mobil users not due to incompatible sites, or bad design or the size of the pictures on their site... but simply due to the fact they are NOT represented by a mobi ext.

The companies invested Millions of Dollars on the success of this ext. The only real way to guarantee its success is to virtually DICTATE the use of the devices that will carry the extension. That all seems silly and wild until you realize that they ARE in the position to control HOW the content is sent and control the physical construction of the devices, the delivery methods AND the software on board to use them.

They, of course, would need strategic partners. Software Giants like Google and Microsoft, to ensure their standardization.

Seriously people, all the pieces are in place. I'm no star trek fan but in the vein of those curiously cubed "technology adopters": the Borg... Resistance may indeed be futile.

Businesses just might get caught with their websites down, thinking "there is no need for a mobi site, my site kinda works on a cell phone". Even if it works perfectly, there IS a chance it will get bypassed by your competition SIMPLY because mobi is given preference on these phones and networks.

NOW what? Oh oh, better get a mobi. Of course by then. all the good mobi names are gone.

Or are they? ;)

GoPC

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well the way i see it i purchased 5 .mobis (pretty good names at that imo) for a grand total of about $300 .... have i purchased .coms for $300+ a piece? yes plenty, and do i still have these names? some i do and some i don't so the 'risk' is really very negligable.

Newton

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi will have a certain novelty factor, but I won't be touching them at all.

I still like the dot com's, in which you have the choice to put either/or both a mobile and pc viewable site on the domain.

Verizon aren't bothering with this tld apart from protecting their own brand, many companies will be the same way with the tld being created to push more mobile phones out there for the suppliers.

Remember camera phones when they first came out .. the industry was in high spirits as they thought they were going to coin in the money, little did they realise that the people who bought these phones took photos and showed their mates in person, rather then sending them via sms / mms which the companies wanted them to do.

When mobile broadband is more widely available in a lot more countries with a decent cost effective price to make it viable, then i think it might be worth a second look. Give it a few years and that may happen.

To those who have .mobi's, I truly wish you the very best of luck.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Newton said:
Give it a few years and that may happen.

That is why people are buying them now. What will they cost in a few years IF all this goes well? Who knows.... that's the point of "speculation" :)

I hope all goes well also. Best wishes to everyone!

GoPC

sags

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only way to guarantee its useage is to dictate its usage.

No, they won't just lay down the law and say "THE MOBI WAY OR NO WAY", I think it will start by preference to mobi domains. Making domain "standardized" for mobi usage. Then, it will be a series of introduced "convenience" features like hotkeys, search options and shortcuts ALL defaulted to mobi domains. Then it will be mobi domains getting priority over all other dot commons. Then it will be near exclusivity if not total.

GoPC[/QUOTE]

I think you are right on. To protect their own financial interests, everything will automatically default to .mobi. Everything else will require direct user input, if at all.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.To those who have .mobi's, I truly wish you the very best of luck.

As I was lucky enough to get 888.mobi I do expect some luck to be coming my way!

I am just about to list 788.mobi for sale in the Numerics For sale section if anyone is wanting a punt on a quality NNN.mobi

Cheers!

:peace:

Last edited:

Newton

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I was lucky enough to get 888.mobi I do expect some luck to be coming my way! It will go for 1m to 888.com in due course!

I am just about to list 788.mobi for sale in the Numerics For sale section if anyone is wanting a punt on a quality NNN.mobi

Cheers!

:peace:

Probably the best .mobi I have seen so far and a very nice catch :wof:

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi Is it going to be another failure??

not at all!

.mobi is already huge and proven sucess; any other description would be unfair to a scheme where a registry like AFILIAS succeeds in pushing something like ".mobi" domains in huge quantities. If someone claimed .mobi resembled a Pump and Dump scheme, I wouldn't exactly disagree, at this time. Then again, it's always hard to predict the future, and all those purportedly worthless penny stocks may just become the next berkshire hathaway or microsoft...

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since it seems that all of the NNN.mobis are gone, I decided to reg the numerical equivalent of some of the premium and reserved names, such as 8255 (talk), and 72346 (radio). I guess time will tell...

I didnt reg any but i agree it has potential to do well, that still doesnt excuse most of the mobis people regged in this case the longer the name bigger potential for loss except great kewords, many domainers looked at mobi as if it was the next dotcom regging almost all words no matter how obscure they were, i think those that regged good keywords will do well the rest are out a lot of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators