Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.Mobi vs .Tel

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Charley-

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was pondering on which one would be the best extension to own. I like .Mobi but have a liking towards .Tel also. :undecided:

Could you'll assist me in analysing it and provide me an over view. :cheesy:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what about .mp?

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Will it ever end? If .Tel is intended just for contact info, why not just look on the 'contact' page of your existing .com site instead? It is easier to just click on a 'contact us' link than to type .tel anyway.

This will end up where one company is forced to buy 1,000 extensions just to protect their brand.

If I had to choose I would buy .mobi because my telephone number would be on that site anyway.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
about .mp - I have a few...like 123.mp and abc.mp..umm personals.mp..you know the usual..never heard of .tel until now! I live in a box. ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I only know about Tel Aviv.

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.telnic.org/faq.html

What will the .Tel domain do?

The .Tel domain will provide seamless integration of existing methods of communication with emerging technologies like Voice over IP (VoIP). By leveraging innovative DNS (Domain Name System) technology, the .Tel domain will allow anyone to publish and control, in real time, how they can be reached.

The .Tel domain will enable people to reach a business from any Internet enabled device (computer or mobile) simply by typing, for example, "Hertz.tel". The user will then be able to connect directly to a Hertz representative or navigate through a list of services that Hertz may offer. Businesses can easily extend their brands into this new space and enhance the way customer inquiries are handled.

In addition, individuals can use the .Tel domain to publish and update their contact information directly in the DNS. These individuals will decide, in real-time, by what means their friends and colleagues will be able to reach them. This could include: VoIP, conventional telephony (fixed-line or wireless), email, SMS, Skype, AIM and many more.....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do we really need another TLD for VOIP. Again, any domain could do the job, with an ad hoc protocol, for example callto:// instead of http://, just what skype does :D
On the other hand if any existing phone # could be reached via its .tel equivalent eg. 18005551212.tel it could make sense.

Varlin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NO, it wouldnt make any sense. Memorizing the numba, typing and adding .tel is more complex than just just calling a regular numba. I guess that the perceived advantage of .tel is calling someone using an easy-to-remember word.

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting article,

so .tel will be used to provide a live telephone voice service over the internet?

Interesting..

SO you might see on a biz page..

MyBusiness.tel <--- click here to speak to a live representative!

I've always wondered when phone calls, which can be made "free" over the internet, will happen. Phone companies will start becoming Internet Service Providers then; ala the trend exhiibited by companies like Verizon.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators