Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker Moniker lost my domain, then charged a recover fee

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is what I think is the root to this whole issue.

Today is the first time I received one of these.

Yes, I owned these domains.

No, I do not want to renew them.

It's as simple as that.

mon.jpg
I got that email today as well.

Domain Summit 2024

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got the email today too

They want 5 years renewals

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The last payment recorded and the creation date my be the same.

The years is perhaps the number of years you purchased when you regged the name.

At least, that is how it is in my case. The first was a .info that I regged perhaps when they had a special.

I am not sure they are telling you they want 5 years of renewal. It may be that you have purchase registration for 5 years and it is about to expire. This may be a new notification system from Moniker to simply alert you that the domain you purchased is about to expire and is asking, Do you want to renew?

I do not recall of getting any notice of this format going to happen.

But Moniker does somethings different and better. Such as the Daily transfer updates.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It sounds like what they are doing is offering names which dropped from a users account a few years ago...back to that user. It seems that the expired domain names were renewed by Moniker initially instead of dropping and now instead of actually dropping they are offering them back to the original owners at cost plus new reg fees (although I really am speculating).

If this is what is happening (which I can't say with any certainty) moniker most likely made a killing on keeping nice moniker user - expired domain names (drops) which subsequently received parking traffic and possible enduser sales....and now they are cleaning house with the names that have not received offers and make little if any parking revenue...and offering them back at their cost to the original owners.

As domain registrars and the domain market in general operates in a 'wild west' environment...it seems as this is just business for Moniker (actually good business for them). I could be wrong here though.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand your point, but many of us prefer to work out our problems and exhaust all our options before resorting to posting on a Forum.... I don't think a Forum should be used as a support center like many members like to use it as.

I think it's pretty sad that we have to post our problems here to ask a PR rep to resolve them. I think it says a lot about the Registrar.

The new Moniker support system which is now done by a 3rd party non-domain firm they hired is much worse vs when support was done internally from Florida.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ditto. I feel the same way and also can say the new Moniker support system which is now done by a 3rd party non-domain firm they hired is much worse vs when support was done internally from Florida.

Kind of surprising some members here seem to think forums should handle support.
Then, there is this issue...

I have been waiting for a response from Sedo for 5 days now.

This is regarding a domain I purchased on June 30 and it has still not been transferred to me.

Yes, I have contacted their support center.
I have contacted my account manager.
I have contacted the transfer agent.

Now what? Call?

Sure, I could pick up the phone and call.

Is that what I have to do each and every time? This almost seems to be the norm for Sedo.

Here's the kicker...Post on the forum and suddenly they want to help. Why? Because it makes them look bad.

I'll try something different instead. I will post on Twitter. I follow Sedo UK and they follow me. Again, they don't want to look bad to the public.

In essence, that is why Sedo has a section on the forum. To Address concerns and complaints. That is why Moniker is here. That is why Parked is here. That is why most registrars and parking associates have a sub forum.

Instead of criticizing the members for using this channel of communication, don't members think its a damn shame to have to use this channel to get some basic, simple, elementary customer service?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never seen one of these until today. Never.

The original OP suggests that moniker "stole" his name and he moved it there two years ago.

To be clear, I never said moniker stole my domain. It was transferd to moniker and in the process my account information was replaced with Moniker's. I used the word "Lost" because that was best description I could think of. Lost and then recovered ( for a fee ).

Moniker didn't pay any renewal fees because the domain didn't expire until July of 2009. That's when I got a invoice for a recovery fee equal to seven years registration.

If anyone at moniker had bother to read my email or look at the documents I provided this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If anyone at moniker had bother to read my email or look at the documents I provided this wouldn't be an issue.
Was it in the form of an email that I posted?

The two on that image I posted - one expires in August 09 and the other in June 09 - is a notice of do I want to renew the domains?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry Tres,

that is NOT how the scenario worked or works. We paid for those renewals each year for two years on YOUR behalf and asked if you wanted the domain and if you said yes, you were billed a reduced renewal fee for the exact number of years we paid for them. We did this so you would NOT lose the domain. The name was not lost.
[email protected]

I've forward the same email I sent Bari.

The facts are I transferred the domain to Monker in 2007 from itsyourdomain. I renewed before the transfer, which added another year extending the registration to July of 2009.

The first support ticket was created on 12/5/2008 10:26 AM EDT. Lost maybe the wrong adjective.. misplaced, unavailable, unusable would have been better.

Monte and Bari: I appreciate your looking into this. I understand stuff happens and the domain was never actually lost but I'm still burnt on the lack of completion on the part of Monikers support department.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker has never lost a domain, but their clients have :smilewinkgrin:

Reaction score
Look folks - first of all dn - 101, I have no idea what you are talking about or accusing us of....this is not a Nigerian scheme or anything close.

We found several names from many customer accounts where we renewed the domains on the customer's behalf, paid for them with our funds, and we are asking if these domains are still wanted....if they are, we are asking for the renewal fees....reduced renewal fees. If you do not want the domains, you do not act to renew them.

there are no extra charges, there is no theft, there is no monetization, or wrong doing. This is domain recovery and saving.

I received Tres documentation and we are validating the charges...they do look correct to me but I am making sure that they are.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just pay the 5 or 7 years renewal fee. You can then request Moniker pay you the parking revenue they have earned over the last several years. They were renewing the domain for you, therefore parking the domain for you. Of course you can always offer them to keep 10% and you get the remaining 90% as a good gesture.

What I don't get is how does a domain go missing?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Monte and Bari worked throught the documents and issued a refund for the overcharges associated with the moving the domain back into my account. It was an unfortunate situation but has now been resolved and I'd like to thank Monte and Bari.

Also, thanks to wmolz for keeping the thread entertaining.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, me & Monty had a slight diff on some deal.
I had a few valuable names with him. So he restricted my access to that account. I couldn't renew them. He or his buddies ended up owning those names.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

:sigh2:

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, me & Monty had a slight diff on some deal.
I had a few valuable names with him. So he restricted my access to that account. I couldn't renew them. He or his buddies ended up owning those names.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

:sigh2:

Can you list one? Provide proof?

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the allegations you're making dn-101, a "nutshell" rendition won't suffice. Give us some CLEAR facts, timeline, etc.

At this point it's just a bad case of "he-said, she-said".

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If given a choice to do business with Nigerian Monte or Attila the Hun I would pick Attila the Hun any day :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why a .sc domain has been removed from my account before the expiry date??? is it true that the .sc have different rules and have to be renewed earlier then the expiry date???

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Found the info ...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom