Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

More gTLDs on the way? .travel, .shop, news

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"... take on ..."?

How could there be a conflict? New.net sells .shop.new.net names, ICANN's approved registry would sell .shop names. If people want to mess with their computers by downloading a plug-in to see a different domain system, that's their choice, and theirs nothing ICANN should do about it. Personal freedom: You can choose to see ICANN's .shop, or new.net's .shop.

As far as the ISPs that automatically enable New.net names, it seems logical they would just not renew their contracts with New.net, so all of their customers would default to ICANN's .shop.
The indivdual netizen would still have a choice over which system to use. There would be no conflict. The ISPs would have plenty of time to let existing contracts with New.net expire prior to the release of ICANN's .shop.

Interesting how NetZero, now owned by Verisign, is still a New.net partner. It would be interesting to see how NetZero would handle ICANN's .shop. Would NetZero go for ICANN's .shop? One would have to think so ....

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually there already a plugin on the market that allows an end user to choose from many different versions of the same TLD. So what would happen when one types in whatever.shop a dialog box comes up and prompts for which version (ICANN, new.net Pacific Root etc)

I have been using it and it works great for new.net domains without all the problems associated with the new.net plugin. One can download it form the PacificRoot and Pacific Root and New Root sites

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
PacificRoot ... hmmm. Isn't that where the original .biz was seen before ICANN's .biz destroyed the original .biz?

ICANN's .shop would likely have an equal effect on any current .shop.

ICANN is only responsible for what happens in the USG root. Right now, there is no .shop in the USG root. There's .shop.new.net, but there's no .shop.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MORE TLDs ????
ARE THEY TOTALLY INSANE?
LIKE WE DONT HAVE ENGOUGH ALREADY !?

oh well...bring them on...and after 3 years bring on more and more and more ......

All thats going to happen is .com is going to be pushed even higher and even more valuable....

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nic
All thats going to happen is .com is going to be pushed even higher and even more valuable....

I've already seen many sites and businesses that don't mind forgoing the .com for a much more snazzy .biz address.

Alternatives always depresses prices, unfortunately :sad:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder if Amazon will finally convert to its true namesake - amazon.shop

:eek:

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath waiting for these new gTLDs.

Now the new eu ccTLD looks interesting if I can figure out the restrictions in advance. Might have to set up a partnership with a German affiliate or something to participate.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good on you, doc.

In my neck of the woods, I am already seeing a resurging interest in cctlds as the web moves into maturation and people realise that you don't have to conquer the world to make good money.

I'm into this gTLD game because I was fortunate to get tens of prime keywords specific to my industry during the new gTLD launch. Without strength in numbers, its hard to survive the world wide competition.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL
Whats going to end up happening is........

For every new TLD that is out now and any that will soon arrive e.g

Kissmyhairyninjaass.info
Kissmyhairyninjaass.biz
Kissmyhairyninjaass.us
Kissmyhairyninjaass.shop
Kissmyhairyninjaass.hop
Kissmyhairyninjaass.top
Kissmyhairyninjaass.blop
Kissmyhairyninjaass.crop
etc ......

The .COM at the very least will be typed in, just out of curiousity maybe ... Kissmyhairyninjaass.com

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nic
LOL
The .COM at the very least will be typed in, just out of curiousity maybe ... Kissmyhairyninjaass.com

Nothing personal... but I'll try to resist typing that particular name in any extension... :laugh: LOL

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kissmyhairybutt.com is unregistered!!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can imagine what the homepage will look like :dead:

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
one rumor on the icannwatch.com site indicates the frontrunners will be .travel, .health, and .shop. With short domains being worth more, why are the new ones getting longer at 4 to 6 characters instead of sticking with 3. Wouldn't .aero supposedly already have taken a number of the potential .travel companies, and .pro was promoted to physicians reducing the market for a future .health.

I think .shop may be a problem since new.net has been fairly successful at getting browser plugins in the market. ISP's would likley take the approved root approach, but most who installed the plugin would not see the "approved" .shop. Unlike the weak other .biz earlier, some stronger new.net .shop users may try to use the first use excuser to take advantage on dispute and landrush pre-registrations.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If ICANN wants to do something they will do it.....

In the world of domains, ICANN is the Godfather....
new.net is a wannabe hit man....

T

Tee

Seems like the 3 new extensions will be sponsored extensions or restricted extensions, not general tlds like .info or .com.

Doesn't seem like this would involve much speculation.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What sponsored or restricted gTLDs do you think they will introduce, tee? Actually, .health and .travel sound pretty restricted to me.

They may let .shop go to appease the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom