• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

My first "big" domain purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg-J

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
I realize this may be chump change to a lot of you, but buying a domain for more than $25 has always seemed silly to me until I finally saw one that I just had to have. It was listed at sedo for $250, but I was able to get it for $125.

It's an interesting feeling really. Just knowing I paid that for nothing but a domain name makes me want to complete the project for that domain even more.

I figured I would share since I'm excited and my wife is asleep. It's addicting though. That was my first $100+ and I'm already in negotiations for my first $500+.

Does it get easier to drop money for domain names, or are you still every bit as cautious after a few?
 
well done. Domaining can be addictive and the amount of money involved can be huge.
 
I remember my first time... blew $450.00. Just get's better.
 
The longer you've been in the business, the more you know, and the more you feel comfortable dropping more money on a name... as you get better, you make more educated buys which tend to cost a bit more then reg fee ;-)
 
Congrats dude I know the feeling.
 
My first "big buy" $350, then $1,200. I recently offered $4,000 and $9,000 on different domains. But like j-milan said, you become more comfortable.
 
It also becomes more frustrating as you become more savvy , the domains you now try to buy , most of the time, are held by experienced domainers and you get hit with inflated end user prices and they don't budge much usually. Thats what I always run into anyhow.
 
Congrats, Greg! It is truly a great feeling, but domains can be very seductive. Be careful and try not to buy crap domains. You will see your domain purchases will get bigger and bigger the longer you are in the business. Good luck! :)
 
Awesome! Just wait until you are bidding for a domain and you end up taking the other bidders into the $xx,xxx range and win. That's a good feeling too. Although of course it's even better to get a $xx,xxx name for $xxx, so depending on the name you got, you may very well be jumping up and down for joy right now. :-D
 
Addictive you ask... VERY ADDICTIVE, and no, it does not matter how much the domain costs, you will always wonder if you got the right price, or if you money would have been better spent on something else. But the feeling goes away fairly quickly, as you search for the next purchase.
 
It's extremely addictive :-) Contratulations on your first big purchase!

The trick is to turn that $125 into $250, either through selling it or developing.. then turn the $250 into $500..
 
congrats on the purchase.. Domaining is just like lays.. Can't buy just one
 
j-milan nailed it for me...

I was more nervous purchasing rights for the first few which only cost me XX to XXX. As I got a grasp of what I wanted to do, those XXXX and XXXXXX deals were no brainers.

Most people wouldnt even consider purchasing a domain for 5 or 6 figures because they cant touch it.
 
Yes, I agree, it can be very addictive.
Another tip. Stay away from auctions unless you have some discipline. A couple of times I paid way more then I should have, as something took over me and I just couldn't let the other guy win. It can get pretty frantic as the minutes wind down....
 
hehehe...yeah....I have noticed my purchases getting bigger....$20, $50, $100, $1000, $3000, $XX,XXX etc. My wife used to freak out when I would spend $100 on a name....until she started seeing the traffic from those names bring in about $200/month each! NOW....she is like...charge it...do whatever you have to do...just keep buying more names! hahaha

//everydayprofit
 
I love buying premium domains - especially those that I plan to develop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom