• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

My first "big" domain purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DNjet said:
It also becomes more frustrating as you become more savvy , the domains you now try to buy , most of the time, are held by experienced domainers and you get hit with inflated end user prices and they don't budge much usually. Thats what I always run into anyhow.

Correct thats why there is mostly junk on the domain for sales posts !

getting a quality domin AT A REASONABLE PRICE IS NOW LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY !
 
britishbulldog said:
... getting a quality domin AT A REASONABLE PRICE IS NOW LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY !
:greensmile: Many more players on the field than there used to be.
 
DNjet said:
It also becomes more frustrating as you become more savvy , the domains you now try to buy , most of the time, are held by experienced domainers and you get hit with inflated end user prices and they don't budge much usually. Thats what I always run into anyhow.

Yes this has been the entire year for me. I switched to concentrated on developing my 500 domains.
 
Greg-J said:
I realize this may be chump change to a lot of you, but buying a domain for more than $25 has always seemed silly to me until I finally saw one that I just had to have. It was listed at sedo for $250, but I was able to get it for $125.

It's an interesting feeling really. Just knowing I paid that for nothing but a domain name makes me want to complete the project for that domain even more.

I figured I would share since I'm excited and my wife is asleep. It's addicting though. That was my first $100+ and I'm already in negotiations for my first $500+.

Does it get easier to drop money for domain names, or are you still every bit as cautious after a few?

Wow. Congrats Greg. It's really glad to hear. When I first start domaining I was selling great names on ebay for $20. After the ebay fees and paypal fees I was lucky to break even. Now that I am more experienced my sales range from XXX-XX,XXX. With experience comes less work too. I used to struggle to find great names, when now I am able to find better names with less work.

In the buyer field you do become more comfortable. Especially if you are taking the domain names that you buy and turn them around into a profitable investment. Once you see the profits from your first sale, you will more than likely become more comfortable in all aspects of domaining.

Again, Congrats Greg and I wish you much more succuss in the future.
 
This is awesome! I love threads like this... Nowadays all we hear about is this and that name was sold for $xxx,xxx, so it's nice to hear about someone just getting serious ;-)

I remember my first "real" domain. Got it for 2,5k, which was alot of money for me... Up until then I was used to pay 25 bucks a name, and even that was pushing it... Then that name came along, and I just had to have it... Sounds familiar? :eyebrows:
 
Greg-J said:
I know the legality involved in owning a domain containing a trademark. I did extensive research before considering it, and I'm comfortable with my decision in that regard.

Congrats on the domain and catching the fever. IMHO, there's no need to post it though. You might want to remove it. Why give anyone free ammunition?

Regards,
 
I didn't know you weren't allowed to post them actually :s

A lesson learned.
 
Greg-J said:
I didn't know you weren't allowed to post them actually :s

A lesson learned.

You are by all means allowed to post the name, but what DomainFatigue is saying, is that you're openly admitting on a public forum to have knowingly purchased a trademarked name (even going so far as to do background research on the name). *If* there is ever a trademark conflict with the company, it just gives them more "legal fuel".

That's why you might want to omit the name. :)
 
Thanks daddypi for explaining it better than me...

Greg-J, that's why I didn't include the domain name when I quoted you... If someone did, then it would still be in the thread even if you deleted your original post...
 
I bought my first name for almost $2000. from buy domains..I am alittle bitter though...not happy at all with buy domains
 
daddypi said:
You are by all means allowed to post the name, but what DomainFatigue is saying, is that you're openly admitting on a public forum to have knowingly purchased a trademarked name (even going so far as to do background research on the name). *If* there is ever a trademark conflict with the company, it just gives them more "legal fuel".

That's why you might want to omit the name. :)

Very good point. I hadn't even really considered that.
 
nice.. i know how you feel.. :)
 
I definitely think that in this market it's better to go all in for a name or two, as opposed to buying a bunch of names.

For me at least.. for liquidity's sake and because I like to develop.
 
I guess my first big purchase was 300 USD in 2004. By mid 2005 I sold it for 2,500 USD. But how times change, last month I bought a high traffic dn for upper X,XXX and at this rate with proper monetization will recoup initial investment in 6 weeks......god I love this business.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom