Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld New privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They just implemented the new privacy settings.

But there is no email contact now when it is private. So how are you supposed to receive any offers at all when the information is private?

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once you login to your cira account you can disable it. Looks like from their demo of the differences between privacy and no privacy that no email address or contact information is shown at all. I've removed privacy from my account!

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response everyone.

I ended up making it public as well.

Although i wouldn't mind making a few private...i can't. Since they are all on the same CIRA account and it seems that you make them ALL private..or NONE private.

This new privacy thing isn't as good as i imagined.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can always set up a new cira account and enable privacy and registrant transfer any domains you don't want public there.

When you log into your cira account now the first page is a new agreement on the info they are showing and do you want privacy or not. I notice namepros control panel also has a link for each registrant profile so you can change them.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is a dark day for the .ca domain industry as a whole. Because of a limited amount of spam (my .com's receive multiple amounts more than my .ca's ever have), people with too much time and (instead of a registry price decrease) resources on their hands, have created this joke.

On their domains101 page, CIRA states that nobody "owns" a .ca domain.

So, why then, when I own my own house, anyone can pay $5.00 and do a Title search, and I have zero privacy rights.

But, anyone, including persons not eligible to "hold" .ca domains, are totally hidden when they have no absolute rights, or perhaps no rights at all.

People already could shield their phone number by using the alternate phone field. CIRA should have just simply mimicked DomainTools.com and used a graphic generator of email addresses to stop bot spamming.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not what I expected. All or nothing, or play registrant scramble to get the domains/settings we want.

People parking who wish to be contacted can still use the parking company's notification system of course, and those who develop can/should leave full contact details as well.

They should allow a description field for each registrant/domain - and in there we can put contact details if we so choose.

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a joke.

I think this should of been optional. They should of kept the whois the same, and if you wanted this privacy feature, you should of had to login to CIRA and turn it on.

Now all of a sudden every registrant has no whois (whether or not they wanted it or not). It will be impossible to contact people regarding domains.

I myself know somebody trying to contact a .ca holder for years with no success (they are willing to pay millions for it.. now whats going to happen?

This just made the value of .ca domains lower IMO and will only turn businesses away from the .ca extension, especially if they cannot get in contact with the registrants for domain inquiries.

Sure there is a message tool at CIRA, how many are smart enough to go there?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What a joke.

Sure there is a message tool at CIRA, how many are smart enough to go there?

Indeed - that tool should be linked from the whois results. It does work - I just tested it with one of my own domains, but it needs to be more accessible.

The actual message comes in an attachment or at the very bottom of the email where it can be easily missed. Not to mention some of us set our email clients to strip all attachments..

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the value of domain names has just increased.

If it's harder for people/companies to just contact anyone with a domain name, then people/companies are more likely to start buying from auctions and .ca sales pages.

If the number of names available for sale has just greatly decreased, the price has to go up.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the number of names available for sale has just greatly decreased, the price has to go up.

not necessarily - they can still register bad domain names or buy them in other extensions.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not meant to be rude, but I thought most Canadians KNEW that the .CA whois hitherto (i.e. until June 9) was CLEARLY NOT in line with OUR existing privacy legislation, and the implementation of this new whois policy was not only necessary but also way overdue.

I myself know somebody trying to contact a .ca holder for years with no success (they are willing to pay millions for it..
You are kidding, right? If I am to pay MILLIONS for some domain, I WILL be able to locate the owner in less than a couple of weeks at the most, esp. with the old whois before June 9, EVEN if he cloaks his whois contact with whatever means. The only exception to that would be, the guy has an equally deep pocket as I do, and doesn't care about those few millions.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the value of domain names has just increased.

Values will definitely increase. Non-eligible domainers should quickly clue in that they're now invisible, and don't have to worry as much about presence requirements. Hence, more bidders, equals higher bids.

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We all have our opinions, we will see how this works out I suppose. For me, this is bad.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Really bad for anyone who contacts domains owners to make deals, now we can only deal with domainers. Sad day, it should definitely be an option but not the default one.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also sucks if transfering any domains now, there is an extra page load for each domain you have to click a link at the top of the page that says:

Approve changes to your domain name registration

Then it takes you to where you can accept or deny the request and when you accept or deny it it brings you back to the main page and you have to click the link Approve changes to your domain name registration again to get back to the rest of the transfers. Significant amount of time when your transfering 50+ domains

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also sucks if transfering any domains now, there is an extra page load for each domain you have to click a link at the top of the page that says:

Approve changes to your domain name registration

Then it takes you to where you can accept or deny the request and when you accept or deny it it brings you back to the main page and you have to click the link Approve changes to your domain name registration again to get back to the rest of the transfers. Significant amount of time when your transfering 50+ domains

Yep been working with it this AM. SUCKS bigtime. Typical CIRA operation designed for the owner with a single domain. Not one iota of thought given to the companies that own thousands of .ca's:upset:

And I was already stymied on two domains I needed owner info on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom