Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

News Feed for Global Warming News

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasRob

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very important issue indeed. Our politicians better wake up quick because its already past the point of no return and it seems to be a non issue for the most part. If you havent already seen Al Gores "An Inconvienent Truth" its an excellent documentary on the issue.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I saw an inconvenient truth and was glad I did. Interesting to learn some more details of the science, although it was also an infomercial for al gore.

It is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed, but the facts should be openly debated. Scientists who disagree shouldn't be trashed. There is much yet to understand.

I think this is a very interesting analysis:
---------------------
Nobody believes a weather prediction twelve hours ahead. Now we're asked to believe a prediction that goes out 100 years into the future? And make financial investments based on that prediction? Has everybody lost their minds?.....

Let's think back to people in 1900 in, say, New York. If they worried about people in 2000, what would they worry about? Probably: Where would people get enough horses? And what would they do about all the horsesh*t? Horse pollution was bad in 1900, think how much worse it would be a century later, with so many more people riding horses?

But of course, within a few years, nobody rode horses except for sport. And in 2000, France was getting 80% its power from an energy source that was unknown in 1900. Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Japan were getting more than 30% from this source, unknown in 1900. Remember, people in 1900 didn't know what an atom was. They didn't know its structure. They also didn't know what a radio was, or an airport, or a movie, or a television, or a computer, or a cell phone, or a jet, an antibiotic, a rocket, a satellite, an MRI, ICU, IUD, IBM, IRA, ERA, EEG, EPA, IRS, DOD, PCP, HTML, internet. interferon, instant replay, remote sensing, remote control, speed dialing, gene therapy, gene splicing, genes, spot welding, heat-seeking, bipolar, prozac, leotards, lap dancing, email, tape recorder, CDs, airbags, plastic explosive, plastic, robots, cars, liposuction, transduction, superconduction, dish antennas, step aerobics, smoothies, twelve-step, ultrasound, nylon, rayon, teflon, fiber optics, carpal tunnel, laser surgery, laparoscopy, corneal transplant, kidney transplant, AIDS… None of this would have meant anything to a person in the year 1900. They wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Now. You tell me you can predict the world of 2100. Tell me it's even worth thinking about. Our models just carry the present into the future. They're bound to be wrong. Everybody who gives a moment's thought knows it.

H

H2FC

gmac17....I invite you, no, I urge you to read this latest global warming report by IPCC just out today. This report leaves no doubt in any reasonable person's mind about global warming and whether its caused by mankind. The debate is over except for a few paid diehard skeptics who have dug themselves into a hole so deep by thrashing this proven science that its impossible for them to get out without ruining their reputations even more. They've already lost the respect of 90% of their peers so I urge you to not be a dummy...click on the link in this article and read this report. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-02-01-ipcc-report_x.htm

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
H2FC - I will read the report, just as I watched an inconvenient truth. And if you think the only people who are skeptical are those who work for thinktanks funded by Exxon then you are way off the mark. I understand the majority believe it to be the case, but there are very smart and respected people who feel differently - including the man who is often called the world's foremost expert on Hurricanes. Amusingly, a lot of people are calling him a kook now that he has an opposing scientific viewpoint. And remember, scientists have agreed on a lot of things over the years that have turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm all for cleaner air, lower pollution - everyone is and I don't like what Bush has done in that area.

The problem is that people are creating models about what the temperature will be in 50 and 100 years. They told me I'd have 3 inches of snow this morning in New York and it was 45 and sunny. How can you possibly believe that a model 50 years out will be on target? What ever happened to us running out of oil in the 1980's or the population bomb causing worldwide famine that would kill hundreds of millions?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if one one buys into the hype of man-made global warming (which means you have to IGNORE real word events like past ice ages and the 9 previous warming cycles before humans existed), AND even if the USA/Europe goes ahead and bankrupts itself with this 2 Trillion dollar changeover, then answer me this:

Why would India/China/Mexico, who TODAY will not stop dumping sewer/pollution/toxins into their own citizens water supply suddently stop their own ecominic rise to improve the world hundreds of years from now??

You have to be smoking some serious drugs to think that people willing to poison people TODAY are going stop production because the water level might rise a couple of feet after they're all dead.

Unless, of course, this is all hype to promote Al Gore and sell a lot of 'green' products to those who actually will be contributing a tiny fraction of the pollution in the future....

H

H2FC

Be sure and watch the world news this evening...they will have a lot of info on global warming and the new report that came out today.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
namestrands - make sure to put a forum on your site, then link to it in some "skeptic" forums - you'll get all sorts of action!

H

H2FC

perhaps I could add this feed to my ClimateProject.com site

I think that's an excellent idea namestrands. I'm for anything that reports the facts and calls attention to this very important subject. I'm also one who appreciates and respects Al Gore for his work on getting the Global Warming message out and I hope he does receive the Nobel Peace Prize of which he has been nominated for. I also hope his Oscar-nominated documentary on climate change called ''An Inconvenient Truth" receives that award.

While I'm at it I may as well say I also hope he is nominated as the Dem. contender for President. I believe he would win this time around, especially since Jeb Bush is no longer governor of Florida and Katherine Harris is no longer there either....lol.....I know this will get a lot of adverse criticism but I don't really care. I think its time Al Gore started getting some credit for the good he has done for this country....and the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators