Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Non paying bidders at Enom

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This seems to be happening more often than not at ENOM.

Bids get very high on most of the decent names then a few days later the domain is back in a public auction because the winner of the private auction didn't pay for the name.

I'm sure everyone is paying much more than they should be for domains at ENOM due to the fact that we are bidding against people that have no intention of paying for the name if they win and ENOM has no penalties for the non paying bidder.

My question is why doesn't ENOM's system check your account balance before you place a bid and not allow a bid if you don't have the funds to back it up.

It seems every drop service has it's problems and Enom's system encourages abuse and illegitimate bidding.

Domain Days 2024

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nitronet said:
My question is why doesn't ENOM's system check your account balance before you place a bid and not allow a bid if you don't have the funds to back it up.

Not sure that would be practical with any high amounts,(how much do you keep tied up in your account?), and is not required elsewhere, however having to list your cc on file before bidding could be a better idea - when the name is yours you pay from your cc before the auction is "closed".

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe enom likes the good names to go public.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Not sure that would be practical with any high amounts,(how much do you keep tied up in your account?), and is not required elsewhere, however having to list your cc on file before bidding could be a better idea - when the name is yours you pay from your cc before the auction is "closed".
Agree with not wanting to keep your money tied up in your eNom account however the CC fees are pretty high if eNom is charging 4 or five figures. I suppose chargebacks wouldn't be much of an issue as they usually must be done within 30 days, and the domain must stay at eNom for at least 60 days.

However, what if scammer1 bids 10k for domain.com and sells it next week to victim1 for $5k. Just after the "push" scammer1 initiates a chargeback. This would leave eNom with $10k less and they can't really take the domain from the new owner. And if they did the new owner is out $5k and his domain.

Martin23

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bank Transfer?

If you make a bid over $500 enom will take $100 from your bank and either refund you if you dont get the name or take it as a fine if you dont get it.

Pool does not have the same big issue.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
However, what if scammer1 bids 10k for domain.com and sells it next week to victim1 for $5k. Just after the "push" scammer1 initiates a chargeback. This would leave eNom with $10k less and they can't really take the domain from the new owner. And if they did the new owner is out $5k and his domain.

Good point, it's just what most of the other dropcatching services do.
Also I guess if there is the ability to do a chargeback by the buyer then there is the ability for the seller to "dispute" the chargeback with the card merchant, so in theory it ought to be possible to reverse a fraudulent chargeback. No easy answer and maybe Enom just feel its better to have cash up front, just don't feel many people would have too much just lying in their Enom account - no easy answer.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another possibility is that there are many bidders from around the world. Being more worried about credit card fraud,they may be using a CC with a small limit (say $1000). So when they bid for more than the CC can handle, they need to wire the funds. This can take longer than 3 days as we all have seen at one time or another because of errors, banks...etc....
so, the name goes back to the public.
Thats my theory. and I think thats why they increased the number of days to pay after the auction from 3 to 5.

manish

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure that would be practical with any high amounts,(how much do you keep tied up in your account?), and is not required elsewhere,
How bout blocking/auctioning all the domains in the account to cover up the cost ?

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I paid almost 7k for a name at Enom a couple of weeks ago, probably run up by someone who had no intention of paying.

The only answer is if you don't pay, you can't play - remove them from participating in Club Drop.

Once a name gets over $1000-$2000 now, you might as well wait for it to be in the public auction because it probably won't be paid for.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's getting hilarious... the "public auctions" list (bid non-payers) is so long that the page has been unable to load in less than 10 minutes since last week! We are talking THOUSANDS of names, it appears.

eNom apparently doesn't care, and will continue to let the scammers play against legit bidders.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the one fact remains.....if you were high bidder and do not pay for it, then you cannot bid for the name when it goes public!

it also gives others a chance to bid on a name, that they didn't originally add to their club drop list!

so IMO, it has good points and some bad, but I like it much,much,much more than swimming in the pool!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
the one fact remains.....if you were high bidder and do not pay for it, then you cannot bid for the name when it goes public!

And then it is bid up beyond all reason again, bidder doesn't pay, and it's on auction again, bidder doesn't pay again... until you just say f* it.

biggedon said:
it also gives others a chance to bid on a name, that they didn't originally add to their club drop list!

Which is exactly what you DONT want to happen if you're a buyer.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinks that maybe eNom itself is beating the highest bidders in the private auctions in order for the domain to go public ? Just like Pool bids against their customers

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is a thought...

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
manish said:
How bout blocking/auctioning all the domains in the account to cover up the cost ?
eNom can't take the customer's domains and sell them just because they defruaded eNom. They would be sued. IMO.

mrwebname said:
Also I guess if there is the ability to do a chargeback by the buyer then there is the ability for the seller to "dispute" the chargeback with the card merchant, so in theory it ought to be possible to reverse a fraudulent chargeback.

Without a signature it can be very difficult for a merchant to win a disputed transaction with Visa/MC.

madcamel said:
Anyone thinks that maybe eNom itself is beating the highest bidders in the private auctions in order for the domain to go public ? Just like Pool bids against their customers
We don't KNOW that Pool does. I would like to hope eNom wouldn't stoop to that low. eNom is where I can still bid on names and resell them for a fair profit, not something so easy at Pool.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we dont know what pool does?
Thats a good one.

8 ball in the right pocket.
oooppsss I missed.
no problem, next guy tries....
and enom plays....

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
we dont know what pool does?
Thats a good one.

8 ball in the right pocket.
oooppsss I missed.
no problem, next guy tries....
and enom plays....
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is nothing SOLID saying "yes Pool is cheating their bidders". Wouldn't that make people's comments that they do shill libellous?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you are absolutely correct.
clean as it gets.
WE KNOW...
come on Steen, it happens on ebay and I recently uncovered someones operation.
Give me a few thousand $ qand I bet I can do the same with pool or I will pay you back.
Deal?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Without a signature it can be very difficult for a merchant to win a disputed transaction with Visa/MC.

My only experience here in the UK is with a chargeback done through my bank (obviously no signature) and my bank recovered all of my losses on a bogus deal. However I guess there could be a problem if I was giving them a few dozen each week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom