Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Overture numbers and how do they relate to value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nniguy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Say a name has an overture number of 125 "with the extension" what kind of value can you put on the name. Also, does that mean that the domain gets 125 type-ins a month? Assume the name has not been listed in search engines and is one word.

Thanks so much.

nniguy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Say a name has an overture number of 125 "with the extension" what kind of value can you put on the name. Also, does that mean that the domain gets 125 type-ins a month? Assume the name has not been listed in search engines and is one word.

Thanks so much.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to be honest, it doesn't mean much. If things are really bad, it might get 1 unique/day

If things are good, it might get thousands.

Who knows.

One thing is for sure, I would registed a domain with 125 w./ext

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In general the domain may get one third or so of the overture amount per day.

So in this domains case, probably about 40/day... but as icehole said, if the domain doesn't make sense as to why it might be getting that.. it may get none.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well if the overture shows 125 with the extension for the past month, it means it gets a steady traffic... much more than 125 per month. how much traffic exactly, and how much value you can put on a name its hard to tell without knowing the sort of name you have, the field/industry/niche it belongs to, and the origin country/countries of that traffic (<u.s. traffic being the most valuable)

nniguy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This name in particular does make sense as to why it is getting some type-in traffic. What value would you put on it. It is a name I am considering buying.

Thanks again everyone!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please do not post multiple threads of identical content. Threads merged. Thanks.

nniguy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry Nameslave. That's my second screwup in two days!

folo

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if a domain name without the extension on overture has 500,000 search per month? How many visitors can i expect every day?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That really depends on the extension you own.

-=DCG=-

folo

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if it is a .cc extension?

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What value would you put on it. It is a name I am considering buying.

Just reg the domain name. It's only $6.95-$8.95.

If you are buying..... ask them about the stats.

Think of it as tuition money. No matter how many people you ask.. no one (even the experts) will know what value it is if you don't register.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nniguy said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much.

with the continued improvement of search engines such as google and their new toolbar, typing in an extension is not necessary anymore and traffic counts can vary tremendously as well as value. business.com is a perfect example---(man i wish i had registered that one years ago) business.com previously sold for millions of dollars. if you type in business.com (name plus extension) you get 4720 hits in july on overture; this figure is hardly accurate as one factor in determing value of the domain name; if you type in the word business without the extension, the number of hits is 2,308,811 for july, a more accurate assessment of the number of people who are looking for that topic and potential value.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nniguy said:
Say a name has an overture number of 125 "with the extension" what kind of value can you put on the name. Also, does that mean that the domain gets 125 type-ins a month?

No direct relationship like that and it raises a somewhat different issue. A big problem with OV Suggestion Tool numbers is you never know for sure if the numbers are coming from domainers who typein the name because they see it dropping soon and on drop lists and want to see the results or 'real' natural typein's.

For example, 2 mos ago I let one of my worthless domains expire (and I mean worthless, a weird combo of letters and numbers which was never an active site - not sure why I even owned it or how I got it). Anyway, just by chance recently ran across it again on a good OV numbers list published by a dnf member as having 125 in OV with ext (an odd coincidence based on your example).

Instantly I knew the ST# was wrong as I had researched the name including its zero Suggestion Tool number before I let it drop. In all likelihood what happened is the name appeared on drop lists and in June/July many domainers typed it in to see the ov numbers making July returns be 125 with ext.

It sure would be great if we could somehow access Suggestion Tool numbers for say 2 or 3 consecutive mos to solve that problem. Anyone here know any way to do that?

P.S. Names listed for sale in the various sales venues can also cause misleading OV numbers as many of us test the name for ST returns with ext if considering a name for sale. It is possible to have inflated returns even on names which are not dropping due to that (and also a few other reasons I won't go into at this time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators