Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

overture , what does it mean exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnforumdude

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi just a quick question , i wanted to know what does overture mean exactly when someone says for example desks.org overture 3000, does that mean ppl typed in desks.org 3000 times or they searched desks.org 3000 times, or just simply desks was searched 3000 times...
thank you

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to be on the safe side:
its enough to understand, if a name desk.org has ovt of 3000
then you will get around 3000-6000 visitors per day

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When referring to overture it is the amount of time something is searched. The reason that overture is used for stats is because this will show a "demand" for a domain name. If "desk" is searched 10,000s in one month, this shows that people are looking for "desks" and that there is a need for a domain name/website about desks. If it says "Ovt w/ext" and lets say its 40, this means that people are searching for that domain name/website ie. Desks.com, 40 times per month, which is a good indicator for traffic.

All, this doesnt really belong in the "IDN Discussion" since IDN overture works differently then DN overture.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's the difference, Rockafeller?

Let's take an Arabic IDN for example. An average Arabic term will only have 20-30 US ovt and this is considered good in most circumstances, while a domain name with 30 ovt w/o ext is considered very poor.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
to be on the safe side:
its enough to understand, if a name desk.org has ovt of 3000
then you will get around 3000-6000 visitors per day

OVT number refers to per day or per month?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but OVT only compiles yahoo conducted searches does it not?

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was going to say... PLEASE mention that it is how yahoo is searched and DOES NOT INCLUDE Google Searches. While there is some speculation on the difference between Google's search market share and Yahoo, I have found that Yahoo can actually be as little as 5% of Google Searches or as much as 25%. It is NOT a par sum comparrision.

OVT also wraps up typos into the Figures.

OVT also counts how ever many times YOU search YOUR OWN domains (so you can manipulate the search numbers)

OVT lumps PLURAL searches in with the singular. So FLOWER and FLOWERS are couted together.

OVT doesn't regognize hyphens

In short, OVT is hardly acruate and certainly not science.

What it IS... a great tool for figuring key words and key phrases for your domain niche or topic. Use the higest number of search hits as your Meta Tags and Search Engine Optimization or top keywords on your Parking Page Keyword setup.

OVT is a great tool if you want to imply a domain is worth LESS than somebody is asking to help you talk them into a lower than they should get price. (I despise people that do this)

OVT is a VERY general idea of the overall POSSIBLE popularity of a general, overall market impression of an entire topic (can I make it any more vauge and non-specific than that?)

OVT has an almost CULT-Like following in some circles and I'm certain to be burned in ephogy after this post but after being exposed to Google's API software and the ability to see what Google sees in the same terms as Yahoo's OVT tool... I cannot believe the DIFFERENCE between the two.

I've seen keywords on Google searched more than 1000% more that what OVT shows! Google tracks typo searches and dashes too. In every case, the numbers between what Google gets and what Yahoo gets makes me wonder why Yahoo even HAS a search tool. If you knew the numbers behind Google, you wouldn't even BOTHER with Yahoo.

Just a few thoughts...

GoPC

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen keywords on Google searched more than 1000% more that what OVT shows! Google tracks typo searches and dashes too. In every case, the numbers between what Google gets and what Yahoo gets makes me wonder why Yahoo even HAS a search tool. If you knew the numbers behind Google, you wouldn't even BOTHER with Yahoo.

Just a few thoughts...

GoPC

Those are good points. However, bear in mind that with regards to IDN, one should almost always refer to the native overture score as opposed to us overture when forming a decision about an IDN. You should never, just for example, buy a Japanese IDN based on us overture. Always use results from overture.co.jp

GoPC's comments above about overture's weak points are good ones. However, in markets like Japan where Google comprises 10-12% of the market which is absolutely dominated by Yahoo - it is safe to say that google trends is an ok backup and overture is the gauge you have to go by.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Overture is updated every month.

My question was that the (post above) indicated that the overture number correlated to how many searches are conducted each DAY.

I am saying that I think it is the number of searches in an entire MONTH.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My question was that the (post above) indicated that the overture number correlated to how many searches are conducted each DAY.

I am saying that I think it is the number of searches in an entire MONTH.

I see. Well, yes, you are right..its the number per month. Overture has a hard time updating it once a month, let alone everyday..huh? lol.

This site will list overture in many other languages besides English. It comes in handy to have bookmarked:

http://www.keyword-optimization-tools.com/search-term-suggestion-tools.html

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators