Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Paying to contribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it's not about cheap.
yahoo provides links to websites like a phonebook. Sure it's a service you can pay/charge for. BUT they don't charge for their community services you'll notice. Wanna chat on yahoo. FREE. Wanna start a message board FREE. Next arguement bidawinner. You're easy to counter.

Domain Summit 2024

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats right we helped create this value..absolutely... and what is our payment?

ACCESS to EACH other.. access to literally some of the top domainers inthe world..buyers, sellers,legal advise etc....
Access to revenues from domain sales that would have been more difficult to get without DNforum, and an ongoing eduction in the world of domains.

Right, but, greg achieved this by having the forum free, why are we now going to deter other possible members & most definatley lose a whole lot more by charging a fee? This doesn't add to what u can get out of this forum does it? All this does is takes away a lot.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If anything, people that want to sell their domains on the forum or in the auction should be charged a percentage.....probably not the auction as yet, once it grows more.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've said this in a previous thread earlier this morning but I'll
post it here too.

Although I think the paid memberships are a bad idea, I would
be willing to pay under ONE condition.

If I knew that the Mods were being compensated for their hard
work then I wouldn't mind paying $50 or more on an annual basis.

These guys put in a ton of hours and I don't think it's fair that
they don't receive a dime.

As far as other reasons go. There is nothing that will convince
me to pay for my membership and here is why...

This forum is a community, and communities are created by the
members that elect to participate on a regular basis. These
communities are only MAINTAINED and operated by the
administrator and moderators but most of the contributions
still come from the members.

So if a forum’s overall success is based on the number of quality
contributions made by the hard work of the members then why
would you want to start charging them?

We've helped this forum grow and get to where it is right now.
Our contributions, tips and questions have helped to establish
this forum as the world's hangout place for domain geeks. Now
someone is going to turn around and start charging us for
helping this community grow and prosper.

Thanks Guys,
Luc L.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well said.
i forgot about the mods. . .
<sarcasm>surely they'll get a free membership. isn't that payment enough? </sarcasm>

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well said DR.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys :)

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a good experience of ezboard communuites (www.ezboard.com). Members may contribute to their favorite community via many payment methods. Point. Those communities who have enough members - they feel fine and collect up to $1000 per year (for large communities). Those communities who fail to collect requested amount - they see tons of ads/popups/etc.
In my oppinion, this is good thing - the communuites are not destroyed by obligatory payment from all members, the founders do not pay all fees from their own pockets, and members may contribute such amounts and so often as it is comfortable for them and for their pockets.
While it is always a question for community founder - Will I be able to collect required amount? The answer is - most large communities are able to do so.

Chad

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a forum charging and I think it will be the downfall of this forum if people have to pay to post and/or read.

Would I pay? Probably, only because its a tax write off. If it wasnt I wouldnt even consider paying.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chad
I never heard of a forum charging and I think it will be the downfall of this forum if people have to pay to post and/or read.

Would I pay? Probably, only because its a tax write off. If it wasnt I wouldnt even consider paying.

How come that dosent suprise me ?

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Might get frowned upon for saying this because I'm new, but this is exactly why I'm saying it.

I'm not very impressed so far. Seems to me the same people on here all the time. New people finding the site will be discouraged by shelling out bucks for something they know nothing about. Mabey consider some sort of trial period?

Another question since I wasn't here before paid signup, but has anyone noticed a drop in sales, offers, or the price your getting for your domains?

John

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perfect testimony. What newbie WOULD pay?
It is a lot of the same people you're right. Some with good tips and some just cluttering the board with their ridiculous crap names. . .

I've seen increases not decreases. Record month in January and February is looking good too. . . AND I dont even consider my self a person who "sells" names. I'm more of a buyer. Speaking of which maybe you should :pM me your names John so maybe you can turn things around. :)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks :) but sort of a collector myself. I usually only buy names I'm interested in developing eventually, and keyword names for those sites. I do have a few already posted here and there though.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by strongvis
Perfect testimony. What newbie WOULD pay?

A lot of newbies have already paid. Not all the paid members were previous non-paying members. Some came in off the street.

Truly though strongvis, if $15/year is too much for you to handle, you need to get out of the domain business.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gregr apparently you didnt read my posts. No it's not that much to me at all. It's the principle.

signguy

domainfinders llc
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>>> Truly though strongvis, if $15/year is too much for you to handle, you need to get out of the domain business.

that was kinda rude..... imo

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by strongvis
Gregr apparently you didnt read my posts. No it's not that much to me at all. It's the principle.

Exactly!

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr

Truly though strongvis, if $15/year is too much for you to handle, you need to get out of the domain business.

Truly though gregr, is your "cost" to run the DNF so much for you to handle that you can't recoup it with advertising, charging for auctions and for sale listings, without getting it from your general users?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is all so simple. I don't know why you guys want to make it more complicated than it is. If you don't see the value, don't pay.
It won't be the end of the world.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not ok to point out the inconsistency and the principle as I see it gregr? I'd sure like an explanation rather than a "it's simple... don't pay" retort. I think I have given you valid points and others have backed me. . . .no skin off your nose to answer them is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom