Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Paying to contribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr

I don't mind chasing away a buyer that thinks $15/year is too much money.

With that attitude, you prove that you're missing the big picture.

As I said before, everyone needs to make their own mistakes.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainGoon

With that attitude, you prove that you're missing the big picture.

It may not be politically correct for GregR to come right out and say it DG, but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing. How serious could a buyer be when he is not willing to spend a little over $1 a month to access what is shaping up to be the best sales market on the net?

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

It may not be politically correct for GregR to come right out and say it DG, but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing. How serious could a buyer be when he is not willing to spend a little over $1 a month to access what is shaping up to be the best sales market on the net?

I have bought items from huge auction houses, Christy's, Sothebys, etc., and none of them has every charged me to go look at the items or to visit their websites. These are people selling items worth tens of millions of dollars. You know why they don't charge people? Because they realize the value of a buyer is not in how much they will pay you or not pay you per month.

But let's not limit it to the high end. Tell me, how much does Ebay charge their buyers? I know they're just a little operation who doesn't know what they're doing and who doesn't make much money, but how much to they charge their buyers?

The potential exists to make this site into a hub of domain interests on the web. The fact that someone would throw that away for, as you put it, $1 a month, is a very bad business decision.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
How serious could a buyer be when he is not willing to spend a little over $1 a month to access what is shaping up to be the best sales market on the net?
Unlike sellers, many buyers are one-off, serious spenders who are NOT willing to pay even two cents per month JUST to access the market; AND we need them.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainGoon
how much to they charge their buyers?

Ebay is not the same thing. It is not a live auction - in fact this is the only live domain auction on the internet. Paying a nominal amount to access a key auction venue in a highly specialized field is hardly unreasonable. I bought a Ford Explorer at an auto auction but I had to have a dealer friend who paid a fee to buy there get it for me. In this case also, I think the small charge is more about verifying and qualifying buyers to try to eliminate bogus bidders than anything else. I do think Slave has a point about one-time buyers. A browser could see a single name on the auction list they want but might be hesitant to spend the $15 just to bid in one auction. So, there are some tradeoffs involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators